My oranda goldfish is covered in white spots:(

Guest kittin7879

Guest kittin7879

My goldfish ozzy has white spots all over his body & tail & is bottom sitting a lot:( I was told by my vet that it is ich. He suggested to purchase an ich medication @ the pet store. Does this sound right to you?

Yes, that sounds like ich, but it's totally possible it's not too. Without pictures and more information the disease experts here won't be able to help you to their full ability. If you could fill this out it would be great :) One persons white spots are another persons white blotches, fuzzy patches.. etc

• * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Edited by GreenTea

Hey there my youtube friend! :) Glad you were able to get on the forum :)

As GreenTea said above, pics or video of the spots would be very helpful just so we can confirm that it is indeed ich.

Here's a link about posting pics http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95717-how-to-post-pics-photobucket/

• Supporter

hello Kittin,

welcome to kokos :)

GreenTea is correct, it could be or it could not be.. either way, please do not purchase Ich medicine, we've got more natural ways which are highly effective in removing ich. once you've answered all the questions and provided pics or vid, we can help further :)

Guest kittin7879

Thanks everyone for all your kind words & advice:) Ozzy was getting so bad that I ended up buying the ich medication & he is doing so much better! He is not bottom sitting as much & his white spots are starting to go away:) He is swimming & playing again with his friend Fatso:)

Thanks everyone for all your kind words & advice:) Ozzy was getting so bad that I ended up buying the ich medication & he is doing so much better! He is not bottom sitting as much & his white spots are starting to go away:) He is swimming & playing again with his friend Fatso:)

You need to be careful. Those ich medications tend to kill your beneficial nitrogen cycle, resulting in other kinds of problems for your tank.