Slightly Raised Scales

Guest kingarthur

Guest kingarthur

Hello, I'm a relatively new goldfish owner (this is my second goldfish), and this is my first time posting, so let me know if there's any information I'm missing.

Here's all the background info, filled out as well as I can:

• Test Results:
  • pH between 6.5-7
  • Hardness 30-40 (soft)
  • Alkalinity 140-160
  • 0 Nitrates
  • I used a 5 in 1 test strip from Mardel
  • I've had a black moor goldfish named Arthur for about a month and a half. He's by himself in a 5 gallon tank, which I had set up for about a week before I got him. I use tap water with a water conditioner, and I do about 20% water changes every 2 weeks or so. I did the most recent change this afternoon. I have an aqua-tech 5-15 gallon filter, and I add aquarium salt at the recommended dosage of 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons. I feed him once a day: 2 small goldfish pellets from omega one.

About a week after I got him (so almost a month ago) I realized he had some small cuts from the plastic plant I had in the tank, and they had gotten infected with fungus. I took out the plant, did a partial water change, and treated him with Jungle fungus eliminator. His fungus cleared up, and his cuts have healed. About two days ago I noticed that his poop was a little lumpy, and two of them had bubbles caught in them. I thought it might be a digestive issue, so I fed him half a pea. I haven't noticed any odd poops since then.

This morning I noticed that the front half of his scales look slightly raised. They're not nearly as raised as the full "pine cone" effect I've seen in pictures of fish with dropsy, but I'm worried that it could possibly be an early stage. He hasn't had any discoloration and appears to be acting normally: swimming around, looking for food in the gravel, etc. He does sometime gulp for air at the top, but he only does it occasionally and doesn't seem to be doing it any more than normal.

I tried to take some pictures, but I'm not sure if they really show his scales. Hopefully they'll help a little bit though. If you have any ideas for what could possibly be wrong or how I should treat it, let me know. I don't want to go overboard and start treating for possibilities, but I at least want to know what to keep an eye out for. Thank you!

008_zps67e50bfc.jpg

006_zpsfc7352ce.jpg007_zps4d983539.jpg

Hi and :welcome

To better assist you, could you please answer the following questions? Thank you. One of our moderators will be with you shortly.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Edited by MexiMike83

Guest kingarthur

Hi, I tried to answer all those questions, although sorry if I didn't do it in a super straightforward format. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test the tap water before conditioning it and adding it to the tank. I also don't have a tank thermometer, but the water generally feels a bit warmer than room-temperature. That probably doesn't help a whole lot, but I don't think I can be any more specific at the moment. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Hello. I'm sorry that your fish may not be well. Before we can make suggestions, could you do this for us, please:

1. Bring a sample of tank and a sample of tap water to the LFS and ask them to do readings for you. Make sure to record down the numbers (not interpretations of what the numbers might mean), and post here. The numbers we really need are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.

2. Take some pictures showing the areas of lifted scales. I know it's not at all easy with a black fish, but see if you can do it.

Once we have these, we can be more helpful :)

• Supporter

2. Take some pictures showing the areas of lifted scales. I know it's not at all easy with a black fish, but see if you can do it.

Once we have these, we can be more helpful :)

if you're having problems with still picutres, you can catch the moor into a transparent tub, put on a light/white piece of paper and take an short overhead video, that should show us any raised scales.

black velvet fish normally have slightly bumpy scales, do you notice them definitely raised? or have you only just notice their scales are slightly bumpy?

Guest kingarthur

Hi, I tried to take a video of him, and the link is here:

Sorry about the weird lighting - it was a bit dark, so I shone a flashlight on him, which made his coloring look really odd. You can see he has a little bump on his right side from where he got a cut earlier. I think the best place to see his scales is right at the end. around 0:35. Hopefully that helps a bit. Thank you for the help!

• Supporter

i see something, but i think it was reflection :(

here was my instruction:

"if you're having problems with still picutres, you can catch the moor into a transparent tub, put on a light/white piece of paper and take an short overhead video, that should show us any raised scales"

please try again. to treat with some medicines without illness can be very damaging to the kidneys or other parts of the fish. we need to be really sure and i am sorry, but that video did not confirm anything to me.