Sign in to follow this  
MexiMike83

Zoomed Aquasun T5 HO 30"

So I got this light from Petco today and I like the light output. However, I'm not so sure I'm happy with the way the light fixture itself sits. It appears that it was designed to mount on the aquarium without a lid or to hang from the ceiling (I live in an apartment so that probably isn't going to happen). I don't want my fish to jump out, so right now it's connected to the mounting brackets but the brackets are sitting on the lid, if that makes sense. Are all fluorescents this way? I spent $120 bucks on it and if I can get better online than I will do it and take this back.

Any suggestions?

Oh and Lucy's "orange" is actually still mostly red. My previous lighting just sucked. :lol

I believe you can take the lights off of the mounting brackets and just rest it on the lid or glass. I prefer to do it that way. I heard it's a really great light for growing plants if that's what you are intending to do, otherwise you could probably find a cheaper light.

I don't think your fish will jump out though I'm not sure how common that is. I don't have a lid just a piece of glass resting in the center for my light fixture and I've had no problems :)

Edited by sarajo

I am interested in growing plants. So I'm interested in what kinds of lighting arrangements members of Koko's have set up with any pro's and con's about them. :)

Edited by MexiMike83

I have a Zoo Med 2xhoT5 on my goldfish tank. My anubias love it. It was around 70 bucks at Petco, but you can get them way cheaper on ebay.

Ok, Dan, read the dang thread first. I have exactly what you have. LOL I really like it though.

Edited by Mr.B

I have a Zoo Med 2xhoT5 on my goldfish tank. My anubias love it. It was around 70 bucks at Petco, but you can get them way cheaper on ebay.

Ok, Dan, read the dang thread first. I have exactly what you have. LOL I really like it though.

Do you use the brackets, hang from ceiling, or just rest it against your lid with or w/o the brackets?

I have that one in the 48" and I made a canopy for it. I spent $100 on the 48"