Rhabdochona Cascadilla

Helen

• Supporter

Alex and I believe that this is the parasite that caused so many of my giant Ryukins and one giant Ranchu to die :( i just kept microscoping whatever samples i could whilst the fish were alive and Alex worked hard to try and identify them.

here is the information Alex posted to me from the parasite book that helped to idenify the Rhabdochona Casscadilla:

Rhabdochona species, when in high numbers, can cause perforation of the intestinal wall at attachment points (Moravec,1975). Similar damage occurs with Camallanus, Procamallanus and Paracamallanus species as they ‘grab’ the intestinal wall with their buccal capsules while feeding on blood. Usually there is a local inflammatory reaction at the attachment site. Thatcher (1991), as well as Sinha and Sinha (1988), suggested that nematodes could cause primary anaemia by feeding on blood. In intensive infections, especially in small fishes, these camallanids can reduce growth rates and also cause intestinal blockage. More severe changes were recorded in ornamental fishes. Several authors (Petter et al., 1974; Stumpp, 1975; Campana-Rouget et al., 1976; Schäperclaus, 1992) reported on complete destruction of the intestinal mucosa and death of the fish in the presence of large numbers of Camallanus fotedari or Camallanus moraveci. Heavy infection with Camallanus cotti caused a reduced sexual display rate.

• Supporter

well, it was very difficult to be honest.. and very emotional after so many losses. one can only take so many hits before they get angry at the world and start smuggling things accross the border in desperation. however, none of the smuggles were as successful as buying two medicines from local farm vets in volumes so large, they could cure a herd of cattle and a bunch of chickens O.o! from that, i needed to use just as spec of it's volume for my fish food. we made the Aussie style JungleAP, two different versions, the US one and the Aussie one. the Aussie one was a hit and ridded this parasite from my goldfish community.

well, it was very difficult to be honest.. and very emotional after so many losses. one can only take so many hits before they get angry at the world and start smuggling things accross the border in desperation. however, none of the smuggles were as successful as buying two medicines from local farm vets in volumes so large, they could cure a herd of cattle and a bunch of chickens O.o! from that, i needed to use just as spec of it's volume for my fish food. we made the Aussie style JungleAP, two different versions, the US one and the Aussie one. the Aussie one was a hit and ridded this parasite from my goldfish community.

Awesome! Now that might even help other aussies if you have this stuff in large quantities :)

You're amazing :)

• Supporter

Awesome! Now that might even help other aussies if you have this stuff in large quantities :)

You're amazing :)

thank you hun :) what's even more amazing, is how comitted and a what good friend to me a total stranger has become :)

one can only take so many hits before they get angry at the world and start smuggling things accross the border in desperation

:rofl I had to chuckle (fine, cackle) at this :rofl

I think Federica, amongst a host of others, at one point joined in on the international goldfish food smuggling ring :rofl

In this process, Helen taught herself how to use a microscope, how to take useful samples from fish, and how to mine the samples for useful information. None of these skills is trivial, and requires an enormous amount of dedication. We knew that the infection was internal, that it was likely a parasitic infection, and that it can cause of massive anemia. Once we saw the worms, the next part was having to find the right combo of meds, which is not something easy at all in Australia. I'm glad it's working out, and this whole story serves as a big exclamation point on the power of perseverance and dedication. It wasn't an easy problem to solve, and it was something solvable in a handful of days.

:)