Sign in to follow this  
melindapaolino

Testing for flukes before getting new fish.

Hello!

So I was casually browsing kokos today, and saw someone mention testing for flukes on new fish. I have never herd of this before, (kind of a newbie :| )

anyway, I havent bought my new goldie yet, I am cycling a tank right now and am waiting for it to be established before buying him/her, and was just wondering if you truly do have to test your new fish for flukes and how I would go about doing that? I'm trying my best to be prepared when he/she comes! <3

thanks! I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, btw!

It's generally safe to assume that all goldfish coming from ~98% of commercial outlets are going to have gill and body flukes, this is not a big deal if they're your first fish however because you can treat them all together at the beginning. I wrote an article about quarantining and treating for flukes which you can read here. :) Hope this helps!

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

If by testing for flukes you mean when you are at the store choosing fish, then all you can do is check for signs of external parasites such as surface gulping, flashing darting, bottom sitting, etc. The same would apply when you are at home, of course.

The most accurate way of doing so would be to do a scrape of the fish and look for flukes under the microscope.