Love my WC

ahardeay

I absolutely love my water-changer! I got the sink adapter on and it is now working and it is sooooo much easier than dragging my 10 gallon bin back and forth to drain it down the bathtub. Only thing is it doesn't have a ton of suction to get poops up, it changes the water but doesn't appear to be picking up debris to well, any suggestions? It could be user error since this is my first time using one and using mine.

okay, I am not familiar with the Lee's one, so hopefully someone that has one might be able to give you some advice.

I don't know if your tank is bare bottom or gravel, but in my bare bottom tank I sometimes will take the extension piece off the WC and vacuum up poo/debris just using the tubing, which creates stronger suction this way. I do however hate to recommend doing this because if a fish got sucked up by the tubing it would be reallllllly bad. You could put some netting over the tube, but even then it could cause damage to a fish if them got too close. I keep my tube touching the tank bottom at all times when I use this method so there's no chance of anyone getting caught by the suction (my fish also tend to stay far away during water changes).

The other thing you could always do is to use your regular gravel vac just to vacuum the bottom of the tank and then use the WC for the rest.

It's worth it believe me, I had the same thought at my LFS when they were cleaning tanks. My friend who works at my LFS was cracking up at me lugging buckets to empty my 55 gal and then filling it back up 1 gallon at a time with a pitcher LOL. He said I am very dedicated to my fish to do that once a week. Haha now it is so easy I am going to do more frequent WCs.

• Supporter

I got one and the faucet adapter doesnt fit on my sink I still have to go to my hardware store to see if I can get something that fits!

LOL me too! I have had mine for more than a month and hadn't been able to use it.

i had that same problem that little white adapter was useless to my faucet. i started with the pyhon brand. with their kit, they provided a brass attachment from the faucet to the pump.. here is where the differences are below:

waterchangerparts_zpsa3511dae.jpg

the lower part of Lees A is the bit that goes into the faucet. for plastic, this part is ribbed so fine, one mistake and the thread strips deeming it useless and trashable. for my faucet.. it was that tiiiiny bit too narrow in diameter that the first attempt stripped it of grip and i never got a chance to properly use it. the Python A part is much more durable being brass, that thing's going to last a while, also, the threading is not so fine, there is more gap between the threading, the part is wider in diameter and grips better to my faucet.

the Python A part is available for separate purchase online. but please note the differences in Lees B and Python B. do you see the difference? Python B has more threading in it. Lees B does not. for me, it didn't matter how i affixed Lees B to python A, even trying to increase the number of rubber seal rings in Lees B, once affixed to my faucet, that set up saw more water down the drain of my sink than what went into the tank and here's why..

look at the thick (top part) threading on Lee's A and Python A.. notice how there is more threading on Lee's A? now you can see why the minimal threading on Lees B is so minimal, because there is plently of threading on Lees A to catch Lees B. if you try to put Python A onto Lee's B, the set up fails as the threading of Lee's B ends up in the non threaded part of Python A (for a short time, an extra seal into Lees B with this set up worked).

do you follow?

at the time my python parts broke, it appeard that Python had closed business. Lee's was the alternative and i desperately ordered 3. they arrived only for me to find they were useless with my faucet. fortunately for me, a few weeks later, Python was back by popular demand and i secured myself a few and i have been flawlessly changing water ever since.

Thanks for the info! I will look into the adapter, so I hope I understood, the python A can be ordered separately online and I can use that with my lees WC to possibly get better water pressure from a better attachment?

• Supporter

Thanks for the info! I will look into the adapter, so I hope I understood, the python A can be ordered separately online and I can use that with my lees WC to possibly get better water pressure from a better attachment?

hun, i was addressing he point of the lee's faucet adapter not fitting my faucet. is the pressure causing your faucet adapter to fall out of the faucet when installed? if it is, then you don't have a pressure problem and go ahead and order the brass part. if it isn't, then you have a water pressure problem and the brass part will not fix that for you,, unfortunately :(

I have no sink in my basement where the tank is so I just got a regular gravel vac and got a 25 foot extension tube and just drain mine right into to toilet. I just lift the seat and put the tube under it and put something heavy on the lid over it and the toilet will flush itself (our bathroom is under renovation so we have no sink down there at the moment lol) It has great suction because I just use it like a siphon...... hopefull you get what i mean

ANd then you could fill it with the pythin type thing. I have a water tap my dad installed about my tank so I just fill it like that

I absolutely love my water-changer! Only thing is it doesn't have a ton of suction to get poops up, it changes the water but doesn't appear to be picking up debris to well, any suggestions? It could be user error since this is my first time using one and using mine.

I don't think its error. I have the aquaeon which I love but honestly it doesn't have great suction. I never have poop on my bare bottom but when I had marbles I just got out my hand gravel cleaner and sucked out a couple gallons with that at the bottom.

My tank is on the 2nd floor though too. Now I start the WC with water, then I turn it off, then I unscrew it and put it into the tub which makes it run much faster then being almost equal going from my tank to the sink (even with the water on). I haven't tried sucking anything with it up this way but my guess is its better.

Also, I did suck up my ryukin once (he was ok luckily) so I took a hosiery laundry bag, cut out a mesh piece out so debris can still flow through and just rubber banded it on. That way it can just float in the tank now without hurting them. ;)

here is what Tim and I do...............use a reg.syphon(good suction) :D for the gravel, to get debre and poo, and then we use our python to fill the tank with water........and our tanks are clean of poo......................the goldfish do not have gravel. and the other 3 tanks just have a thin layer.........Tim is NOT a big fan of gravel....... ;)

and we have the brass type adapter on our sink.

Edited by Sharkbait3

Some of us don't have the option of a water changer. I change water from my basement pond tubs on the floor to a 5 gal bucket on the same floor. The nearest sink is one the next floor (main floor)

For me I'm trying to find a utility pump that pumps under 200 GPH (most or 2,000 or 20,000 GPH and expensive) where I can attach an intake hose.

Basically I swish up most debris I can and hope that's good enough. It is basically doing a 80-90% water change everytime.

I haul the buckets up the stairs to the main floor and haul them outside, afterwards, I fill up 5 gal buckets at the sink and carry them down the stairs to fill the pond tubs.

ARMS- the original water changers :lol