Sign in to follow this  
anastasiam

Black moor with stringy waste

Yes, she's quarantined now... I don't have any epsom salt, but with aquarium salt work..? If not I'll go get some... I live about 30 miles from any walmart or store thats open this late :( ... I will definitely hold off on the parzi and salt... I just did the second dose yesterday :/ ... should I do a water change? I'll get some pictures right away!!

Thank you again... I really appreciate all of your help!

Yes, she's quarantined now... I don't have any epsom salt, but with aquarium salt work..? If not I'll go get some... I live about 30 miles from any walmart or store thats open this late :( ... I will definitely hold off on the parzi and salt... I just did the second dose yesterday :/ ... should I do a water change? I'll get some pictures right away!!

Thank you again... I really appreciate all of your help!

Epsom salt is different from aquarium salt. Epsom will help with constipation if there is any and can also help to reduce accumulated fluids, whereas typical aquarium salt has the potential to increase fluid retention when there is bloating. The epsom is not urgent, you can wait until tomorrow to get it :) Just make sure you don't get any with any added dyes/perfumes, just plain epsom. It is typically sold as a bath soak in the health/beauty area of the grocery store or drug store.

Yes, please do a water change to get the salt out. My concern is that if there is bloating we don't want to have her in salt, as it can make matters worse, and we don't want to treat with prazi without salt, so I would just hold off altogether for right now until we figure things out. If we decide that she does in fact need MMs then we can start prazi treatment again at the same time :)

She did NOT like the tupperware lol.... I'll get the epsom salt first thing, and I'll do a water change right now..!!

I found my dads phone, it takes a little better quality of picture:

20121019_201532_zps62070a64.jpg

20121019_201851_zps0e0ef6f7.jpg

There is definitely pineconing on both sides, and so I think the normal treatment protocol for dropsy is appropriate.

I'm sorry :(

How do you treat dropsy? Do you think we caught it soon enough..?

Thank you for the clear pics, very helpful. As Alex said, definitely dropsy.

Instead of feeding the Epsom as I suggested last night I want you to add 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom per every 10 gallons to the Qt (dissolve it first before adding). Please keep track of when you first add it because the max time for a fish to be in Epsom is 8 days. Just as regular salt you'll need to add back in the amount of Epsom you take out when you do a water change.

Do you have a heater? If so turn tank temp to 78-80f.

When you get the MMs from goldfish connection let us know. You're going to need to feed 1% of her body weight in these meds daily for at least 2 weeks. If you have a kitchen scale you can figure out body weight by weighing her, or if you let me know her length (excluding tail) I can estimate weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dropsy is treatable, it's a good thing that you ordered the meds already, that saves us time. It's also a good sign that she's still eating and swimming around :) however once a fish has had dropsy, they are more prone to recurrence of it unfortunately, so the best thing to do is keep the tank water pristine :)

Which reminds me, if you can do big daily water changes while she's in QT that would be ideal. If not try for every other or every two days. Clean water is a good thing when a fish is sick/healing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The QT tank is 29 gallons.... So would 3/4 tsp be ok..? I hope the shipping doesn't take forever... Should I do 100% water changes daily while she's in QT, or just a bit? I'll do my best to keep the water at 100% all times! How long is it before goldfish die of dropsy, or rather what causes it..? Does it just vary by bacterial strain..?

Thank you! She'd probably be a goner if it wasn't for everyone's help!

The QT tank is 29 gallons.... So would 3/4 tsp be ok..? I hope the shipping doesn't take forever... Should I do 100% water changes daily while she's in QT, or just a bit? I'll do my best to keep the water at 100% all times! How long is it before goldfish die of dropsy, or rather what causes it..? Does it just vary by bacterial strain..?

Thank you! She'd probably be a goner if it wasn't for everyone's help!

3/4 tsp should be fine :) GFC is usually pretty fast with shipping. I would guess you'd get it monday, tuesday at the latest. 100% water changes are not mandatory, but it certainly doesn't hurt, it's up to you and what you are able to do.

It's difficult to say how long before it is before a fish succumbs to dropsy, it depends on different factors including how long the fish has already had it, how severe the damage is, if they have had dropsy before etc. But the fact that you caught it early, and she is still swimming and eating all bode well in her favor :)

Ok! So I added the 3/4 tsp epson salt and I'm keeping the water warm, about 80F.

Do I re-add the epson salt every water change or every day? I've only put in the first batch so far. She looks like she's trying to perk up a little.... She's starting to pick at the gravel again :-D. I don't think she likes the taste of the salt very much though. But whatever makes her better!

Should I feed her normally until her food gets here or something special..? Someone told me to try garlic in the mean time, but I wanted to check with you first!

I also wanted to ask about the heater..!! I have the standard aqueon 200 heater... I'm worried she's going to bump into it and hurt herself.. Can I put something around it or something..?

Ok! So I added the 3/4 tsp epson salt and I'm keeping the water warm, about 80F.

Do I re-add the epson salt every water change or every day? I've only put in the first batch so far. She looks like she's trying to perk up a little.... She's starting to pick at the gravel again :-D. I don't think she likes the taste of the salt very much though. But whatever makes her better!

Should I feed her normally until her food gets here or something special..? Someone told me to try garlic in the mean time, but I wanted to check with you first!

You want to keep the epsom at 3/4 tsp, so if you do a water change you will add back in the amount of epsom you took out. For example, if you do a 100% change, add back in 3/4 tsp, if you do a 50% change add back in you would add back in half the amount of salt which is three 1/8 tsp's (3/8 tsp)

You want to be a little careful with epsom. overdosing it, or leaving it in the tank for longer than 8 days can cause irreversible damage to your fish. It is a great tool when used properly, but you do need to be a little conscientious when using it. Try to be as exact as you are able when redosing the tank after water changes. If you feel like you are unsure how much salt to add back in etc. I would recommend doing a 100% change (or you can do two back to back 90% changes) so that you just have to add back in the full amount of epsom.

Garlic won't hurt (as long as it is plain), but I would just feed her regularly until the food arrives :)

Thank you so much! I'll keep feeding her like normal... I'll defiantly keep an eye on the epson salt!

Here's a new video of her... Is her breathing normal? It seems a little different since putting her in the salt... Thank you again, and I'm sorry for being such a pain... I just really love my dexy :cry

http://s1067.beta.photobucket.com/user/amarjenhoff/media/VIDEO0008_zpsf8ec67d8.mp4.html

She looks pretty darn good for what she's dealing with :) I like that she is not bottom sitting and she is upright and appears alert. These are all good things.

No need to apologize, check in any time. Hopefully the meds will arrive tomorrow!

It looks like the meds just shipped today.. I'm a little worried about my little boy goldie now :-/ . Ever since I put dexy into quarantine, Goldie has been depressed acting.. He wont eat now, and he just kind of floats around. Do you think he'll snap out of it? I never knew fish could be so tough!

Could you upload a photo of this? I'm concerned that Goldie is also sick.

Here are a couple... I'll get more soon... Do you think he's ok..? Poor fishies :(

20121023_230017_zps7cd4981f.jpg

Photo-0002_e1_zps32429476.jpg

Is he eating normally now? It would be better if we have a video, so we can see how he is acting? I apologize for not having asked that before.

He's eating the peas I drop in for the most part... He has one in his mouth he's trying to eat though :/. He also wont go to the top of the tank anymore...

I'm trying to upload the video now..!

I finally got the metro meds in for Dexy too..! How would I go about feeding her the 1% of her body weight..? She's about 4'' from head to base of tail... I have a kitchen scale, I just hope I can figure out how to use it with her and the tupperware... I'd weigh her through displacement right?

He doesn't look bad to me, and I would hesitate to use MMs at this point. You can either start a new thread, or keep it here, but what I would really like to see are:

- parameters

- video or photos of each fish, along with the current observed "off" behaviors.

Thanks.

He's eating the peas I drop in for the most part... He has one in his mouth he's trying to eat though :/. He also wont go to the top of the tank anymore...

I'm trying to upload the video now..!

I finally got the metro meds in for Dexy too..! How would I go about feeding her the 1% of her body weight..? She's about 4'' from head to base of tail... I have a kitchen scale, I just hope I can figure out how to use it with her and the tupperware... I'd weigh her through displacement right?

Yes, if your scale does not have a tare option you can first weigh the container of water, then place her in (subtract this weight from the container weight and that will give you her weight). If for some reason the weighing doesn't work out we can estimate, but if you can weigh her that is ideal. Let us know how much she weighs and we can tell you how much to feed :)

How is the bloating looking? is she back to her typical size at this point?

No... she's still bloaty :( ... I'm getting ready to weigh her now!

after much scare (mostly on my part) she weighed in at 2.7oz...