Sign in to follow this  
anastasiam

Black moor with stringy waste

Ok! I'll cut out the filter carbon for sure!

Oh no... I hope he doesn't have pop-eye :( I've heard really bad things about it... Is it treatable at all?

I've never seen anything between the eyes and head... The orange ring looks like its in his eye... It doesn't look puffy, it just looks like a part of the eye... flat I guess?

The orange behind his eye is exclusive to that eye... It doesn't look like its an ulcer or anything... Its a little darker of an orange than the ring, but close.. I can probably get a better picture tonight; my dad is coming into to town and he has a pretty good camera on his phone...

I got another one, I'm not sure if it will help though...

Photo-0031_zps1f03f5e0.jpg

I don't know if this helps at all, but both of my Moor's used to get marks like this on their eyes. I'm almost certain this was from bumping into things in their tank, as their eyes stick out so far and they are so clumsy. I moved a couple things around to make sure there were no sharp edges at all, and they have gone away. Have we gotten a whole tank shot? And is there anything with a rough surface that could scrape them? I'm not saying this is for certain the problem, it just looks very similar to the marks my guys used to get. :)

Haha... Yeah my little moor is very clumsy. He bumps into the glass when he goes for food sometimes... I took out almost all of the ornaments in the tank for that reason. I only have a couple of plants, a small piece of plastic driftwood that is covered with my anubias plants, 3 filters and some bubble stones..

I have a video up on my photobucket account... Its not very good quality, I'm going to try and take a better one tonight...

http://s1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/amarjenhoff/?action=view&current=Video-0003_zps59718407.mp4

I don't know if this helps at all, but both of my Moor's used to get marks like this on their eyes. I'm almost certain this was from bumping into things in their tank, as their eyes stick out so far and they are so clumsy. I moved a couple things around to make sure there were no sharp edges at all, and they have gone away. Have we gotten a whole tank shot? And is there anything with a rough surface that could scrape them? I'm not saying this is for certain the problem, it just looks very similar to the marks my guys used to get. :)

Having never really kept teles/moors before I had no idea this could happen! I was discussing this with Helen and she also said that the ring is likely just from his eyes rubbing against something in the tank, such as the tank wall when he is excited to see you. See, learn something new here every day :D

It sounds like this is nothing to worry about :)

and that picture helped a lot, it is definitely not pop eye :)

do keep an eye on this though.. if it gets any bigger, please let us know, if it does, then you will need to provide closer, clearer pics of it. ok?

Image1_zpsb6345b19.jpg

Hi again everyone... I think I might of found one of the problems... I tested the tap water today, and the nitrates were at an astonishing15ppm... The tap water out here fluctuates sometimes, but its never gotten that high before :cry

I went out and bought a ton of bottled water and did a water change with that... He already seems better. He's much more active, and the spots cleared up, but he still doesn't look like he feels 100%. His waste is still a little stringy...

My vet friend told me I should try quick cure while my prazi pro comes in the mail... Do you think this is a good idea? I've heard it has formaldehyde in it!

I also took a new video with a better camera (I hope)...

http://s1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/amarjenhoff/?action=view&current=20120929_192935_zps7ac59bfd.mp4

http://s1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/amarjenhoff/?action=view&current=20120929_193011_zps5df47a0f.mp4

(Sorry, I'm having trouble posting videos again...)

15 ppm is not too too bad, but good that you know about it. We generally recommend keeping it under 20 (5-10 is ideal).

Careful with the bottled water. It typically does not contain the minerals necessary for a stable ph, and may even be low in ph. You may need to use a buffer with it. Personally, I would stick with the tap. If you're concerned about the nitrates you could always age your water and put some plants (e.g pothos) in the water to help decrease nitrates before adding the water to your tank, or just add some extra plants to the tank itself.

I wouldn't recommend the quick cure. It is a harsh medication containing malachite green and formalin. I don't see any reason to use this on your fish and I think it really has the potential to do more harm than good. These meds are also a good way to kill your cycle :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whooo thank you for the heads up... It just seemed like over kill :/. I just worry about this tap from time to time... I tested it about two months ago and the nitrites were kind of high... We're on a well, so things have a habbit of getting it there I've been told..... Would drinking water with added minerals be any better? Or just more plants? I know I have a hard time with some plants though... I have the hood/light combo that came with the tank... Its only about 15 watts a light. Can I put anything in there really? I tried a couple of swords and they didn't last too long lol...

Thank you for all of the help!!

did the prazi come?

For the nitrates I would look into using a pothos. They are kept out of the water, with just the roots in the water, so they are really easy to care for and difficult to kill :) here's an article on this: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95321-the-amazing-pothos/

any updates hun?

Hello everyone

Sorry, its been so long for a response... High internet bills + college student= no more internet lol...

Dexy is up and down... Some day's he'll be doing fine, but others he just floats. I started the Prazipro regimen yesterday.. Amazon took forever to ship it :no: ... How much salt should I put in the 55 gallon tank (assuming its holding 50 gallons) with the Prazi? I know someone said .1% but um... how many teaspoons is that...? Sorry, I dont' really know the conversion for that :(

I looked around at the forum, and I think Dexy is actually a 'she'... She has the little raise above the... um.. anus..?

She's bottom sitting off and on throughout the day, has the white stringy waste, but now she's a little bloated and has some slightly raised scales on the right side toward the gills...

Dexy isn't completely still at the bottom though... She wiggles but doesn't move from that spot much. She came up to the surface this morning for a breakfast of a few peas... Since then she's been in the corner...

I'm going to upload some more pictures... I can't understand why she's so bloated....

Photo-0039_zps00fa1894.jpg

Photo-0041_zpsa58d56ad.jpg

Photo-0040_zps9d174727.jpg

Oh, also I noticed that goldie has been chasing dexy... Golding has been kind of nudging Dexy's backside too.

Water parameters:

Ph: 7.6

Nitrate: 40ppm (I can't seem to get them down...)

Nitrite: 0ppm

Ammonia: 0-.25ppm

High range Ph: 7.8

Here's another couple of pictures...

20121014_163332_zpsa400b4de.jpg

The circled area is where the waste got stuck on a plant :(

20121014_163559_zps7566cc04.jpg

This ones a little blurry, sorry

Whose poop is that? It's awfully zig-zaggy, and could be egg poop.

You're just now starting Prazipro treatments, yes? Salt is at 0.1%, or 50 teaspoons for your sized tank :)

Thank you for the reply!! My little moor, who I recently discovered might be a female, has had this poop for awhile... I just started the Prazi treatment on Saturday.... Amazon took forever to ship it :( . My other goldfish has been chasing her on and off, and there has been a temp change in the tank... How do I tell if there are eggs in it..? And thank you for the answer to my salt question!

Thank you again!

Hi again everyone...

Dexy is active again. She's no longer sitting on the bottom of the tank, but she's still very bloated.... I fed her a half of one pea today thinking it might be constipation. I was fasting her for about 4 days....

I started the Parzi on Saturday, and I did a huge water change today (Wednesday), about 75%, like mentioned... I've been salting to .1% too.

She's still having the stringy poop, but with bits of normal colored green in it...

Even though she's more active, I'm still really worried about her. She's still really bloated, and some of her scales are starting to stick up a little on her side. Her belly feels kind of hard... I'm not really sure how she's supposed to feel, but it seemed stiff.. I coated my hands in stress coat before touching her... I don't know what to do with her :( ... Could she be egg bound or it is it dropsy...? Her vent isn't red, but it is kinda big....

Could you update us with a video and new water parameters, please?

• * Ammonia Level (tank): .05-.1ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (tank): 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tank): .10ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap): 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 20-40ppm
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.6

I've been doing a lot of water changes... As directed :)

Here's a picture of her scales... You can kinda see where the light is reflecting... Sorry, my camera isn't the best :(

Photo-0045_zps8e23db21.jpg

Here you can kinda see her bloat...

Photo-0044_zps4fff9f06.jpg

I'll do my best to get a video in tomorrow :( ... My camcorder is no longer working.. I'm sorry for all of the trouble :/ Thank you so much for your patience and help...

Could you take a few more top view pictures of her? I suspect that she is starting to pinecone, and will need treatment. However, I would like to make very certain that is the case.

Hang in there!

Oh no... I'll do my best to get you pictures...! I have classes during the day, but I'll get them asap!

Can she be treated..? I've been so worried about her... She seems swimmy and she picks at the ground sometimes, but other times she just sits like this...

Photo-0041_zpsa58d56ad.jpg

and Thank you so much for the help...! I'd be completely lost with out this site...

Best way to take clear top view pics is to put her in a tupperware container of water and take pics there :) Do you have metro meds? If not you may want to go ahead and order those... the top view pics will help us determine if medication is needed but the sooner you order the sooner you will get them (and even if you don't end up needing them now, they are good to have on hand). If you can afford it, go ahead and get the jumpstart too, it's a probiotic food to feed after the meds. http://www.goldfishc...tId=159&catId=1

Ok... I'll go ahead and get some!

This is just so frustrating....

I posted a video to photobucket... For some reason I couldn't get it to post here, so here's a link:

http://s1067.beta.photobucket.com/user/amarjenhoff/media/video-2012-10-17-20-26-02_zps8031511c.mp4.html

Thanks again everyone!

Photo-0050_zpsd8753903.jpg

Photo-0049_zpsd906852a.jpg

Do you think she'll be ok if I put her in a tupperware in her current state...? my phone is my only camera right now, so I'm sorry for the bad quality :(

I think putting her in a tupperware for pics will be fine, you can just scoop her up with the tupperware in the tank and release her right after, it shouldn't take long or be too stressful :) It's just tough for me to tell if there is pineconing from the pics above and a direct shot from overhead would be helpful :)

Given that she does look a little bloaty, I'd like you to remove all salt from the tank and hold off on prazi treatment for now (I assume you got through one round?) Please feed her a grain of epsom salt inside a pea or green bean and nothing else tonight (you can get epsom salts from any drug store or grocery store in the health department).

Is she in QT now?