I knew I shoulda studied before jumping in

leross04

I bought some bamboo from our Petco today they all looked really nice underwater and I remember seeing some pics of bamboo in other goldfish aquariums but I've read everywhere not to put the whole plant underwater. so I was thinking of putting them in the filter, is that beneficial at all?

It is but remember to keep a barrier between the roots and the mechanical part of the filter or you may get a mess and a non working filter. :( Too much bamboo in the filter would displace room for biomedia but I don't see an issue with just a stalk or two :) Good luck, would love to see pics of it

you could even setup a separate empty filter with bamboo in it. It will help out with nitrates :) Someone here keeps a ton of it outside the tank in containers to help with nitrates..... if only I could remember who it was :P I'm sure they will see this and weigh in.

I picked up a clear plastic shower caddy, complete with supercharged :flex: suction cups, and stuck a pothos inside. Shower caddies are great because they're very cheap, and there are always holes all around to let the water drain out, so there is no yuck from soaked soap bars. I have a tiny airstone in there, just to make sure that there's no still water, and I wipe the gook off each week (in old tank water). It's been in there for about a month now. The plant has been getting great growth, and my nitrates have been pretty well kept under control. The leaves are totally out of the water, but the roots are totally submerged. The fish don't really bother them, and it looks great.

I don't know if this would work with bamboo, as the stalks can get pretty tall, but I can tell you that my pothos is a nitrate buster. Next on my list of plants to get is probably a peace lily. :)

Can you post pics of your bamboo setup?