Help with new tank

Guest dvd

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, thanks for setting up such a great website!!

Ok, basically I made a bit of a mess, it seems. My daughter had been asking me for fish for quite a while as a lot of her friends have some etc.....

To cut to the point we bought a 90 litre tank and set it up with Dorset Pea gravel and some live plants. I filled it up with treated water and put on the filter, and left the tank running for a week without fish. I also added some fish food. Now I know that I did not give it enough time, but the pet shop assured me that 3 days is more than enough. They checked my water, said it is fine and I bought 2 little Orandas. The fish have now been in the tank since last Friday night. The pet shop guy told me to leave the tank for a week before adding more fish, and then they will test my water again. The plan was to buy some White Cloud Minnows..

I read a lot of stuff on this forum, so I know that I have an uncycled tank with 2 fish in it.

1) The fish have been in the tank for 3 days, should I do any water changes? (Pet shop man laughed and said no when I asked him)

2) There is a piece of wood in tank, which I bought from shop. It seems to have some cotton wool growing on it - I read that it is probably harmless, any ideas?

3) How often should I feed - have found a lot of different opinions

Ps: Shop said I can put 6 more fish in tank, but I knew before I bought fish that Orandas need a large aquarium. Some websites said at least 40 Litres per fish. Being very small, I think they should be fine in this tank for now, and if we need to buy a larger tank, we will do so in due course.

(I will buy water test kit this week)

Thanks

Dave

Welcome to the forum!! I'm so glad you found us :) As you are already finding out, pet stores are unfortunately a very poor source of information for goldfish care, it's really too bad, but you cannot trust what they say. But take comfort in the fact that most of us here started where you are if not worse :)

1) The fish have been in the tank for 3 days, should I do any water changes? (Pet shop man laughed and said no when I asked him)

Yes, definitely do a big water change (at least 80%). I would do a water change daily (50-80%) until you are able to get your test kit. Make sure you get a drop test kit and not strips. The API master test kit comes with everything you need :) Once you get your test kit, test your water daily to figure out how often you need to change your water to keep the parameters safe. You are going to want to test your water very regularly during the next 1-3 months until you are cycled. Your aim is to keep ammonia and nitrite as close to 0ppm as possible. If you see them rise to .25-.5ppm, it's time for a big water change. Once you get nitrates, aim to keep these below 20 ppm.

Also, if you can get Seachem Prime water conditioner, this will help keep your water safe between daily water changes (it detoxifies ammonia for a period of 24-48 hours, along with conditioning your water)

2) There is a piece of wood in tank, which I bought from shop. It seems to have some cotton wool growing on it - I read that it is probably harmless, any ideas?

This is pretty typical of new driftwood. It is harmless, but you might wipe it off during your water changes. Please make sure your driftwood has no holes/hollow areas, as these can create areas for anaerobic bacteria to grow that can make your fish sick.

3) How often should I feed - have found a lot of different opinions

Young growing fish need multiple small meals a day (2-3 at minimum), but also remember that while you are cycling the more you feed the more ammonia is produced. You don't want to deny your fish of the food they need while you cycle, but you may want to go a little easy on feedings until you are cycled :)

Here are a couple good articles on feeding :)

by rain garden goldfish breeder steve hopkins:

http://www.kokosgold...-steve-hopkins/

by member pearlscaleperfect: (scroll down to 'feeding')

http://forgetthebowl.tumblr.com/

Ps: Shop said I can put 6 more fish in tank, but I knew before I bought fish that Orandas need a large aquarium. Some websites said at least 40 Litres per fish. Being very small, I think they should be fine in this tank for now, and if we need to buy a larger tank, we will do so in due course.

Eeek. :doh11: Pet stores are so..... :no: 40 liters per fish is the absolute minimum, this is very temporary setup for a fish (think 6 mos temporary at most). Goldfish really need 56-75 liters per fish (15-20 gallons). This is because they can grow very large (not just orandas, any type of goldfish), upwards of 10 inches, and they also produce a lot of waste. Your current tank is OK for now, but you will want to begin thinking about upgrading to a 114-151 liter tank.

Finally, you are also going to need good filtration for your tank. A filter (or filters) that run 10x the tank volume in liters per hour is recommended. So, for your 90 liter, you should have at least 900 lph of filtration. Also, cartridges are a waste, so take a look at this link if you use cartridges: http://www.kokosgold...ob-filters-r248

Hope this helps! Please don't be shy if you have questions :) it can be a lot to take in :)

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. Will make a big water change tomorrow then. Re filter I have a common filter with just foam. It is rated 450l/hr. As I do not have space for an external filter, should I just buy another internal one? Any suggestions? I was thinking of the Fluval u3 filter. Thanks again.

Edited by dvd

Great advice from tithra, as usual. :)

You could try an additive to help speed the cycling of your tank. Fish keepers are not 100 percent convinced that they work, but many people use them, and if you have the money, they won't hurt. Tetra Safe Start or Seachem Stability are popular ones here. Supposedly, they introduce the beneficial bacteria into your tank to speed the cycling process. If you try one, you will want to test daily and watch your parameters closely. If it helps, it's well worth the money because it will reduce the time when you need daily or near daily water changes.

Also, I'm not suggesting that you do this now, but when your tank is cycled, you might want to consider getting one nerite snail. It will eat that buildup off your driftwood and keep it "cleaner."

You will definitely want to add a second filter. A canister or HOB would be ideal because internal filters take up valuable space/water volume, but if an internal is the only thing you can get, it will work :) I'm not super familiar with the internal filters, but I know the U3's are pretty popular and it looks fine to me.