Planaria

Helen

• Supporter

so sometimes, every so often, we get a member posting.. "tiny white worms in the water of my tank! eek!" hahaahha.. protein bars for goldfish AKA planaria :)

here's what these things look like under a microscope. they are very fragile to catch, so please excuse the damage 3/4 way down to the planaria you see in this video. others didn't turn out so good or so alive.. they also don't take well to being squished.. lol..

• Supporter

you guys are too funny.. i tell you what.. if all the parasites i have come accross in the last 2 years were as friendly and good for goldfish as these guys are.. there would be no need for a microscope and i would never have lost any fish friends.

fact is, these "planaria" come from our water source also. which means, anyone who drinks water from a normal watersource such as your kitchen faucet, receives them. they are so small.. thinner than cotton and generally about 5mm long. harmless.

• 1 month later...

you guys are too funny.. i tell you what.. if all the parasites i have come accross in the last 2 years were as friendly and good for goldfish as these guys are.. there would be no need for a microscope and i would never have lost any fish friends.

fact is, these "planaria" come from our water source also. which means, anyone who drinks water from a normal watersource such as your kitchen faucet, receives them. they are so small.. thinner than cotton and generally about 5mm long. harmless.

:yikes:crazy:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Planaria are cute with their little "crossed" eyes, but the worms in Helen's video (as she knows now) are annelids, not planaria. (The bristles mark them as oligochaete annelids -- primitive relatives of the earthworm.) And those guys are UGLY but completely harmless, and probably delicious to a fish.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just spotted this little half inch guy crawling up the inside of my tank. Can someone confirm that its just a harmless little Planaria?

IMG_1446_zpsd85wxlbl.jpg

IMG_1447_zpswcmn96hj.jpg

That looks like a planarian to me.  I wonder where it came from? Does the aquarium contain some used material?  Did you add plants?  Here's a good article on planaria in the aquarium.  

This video is cool.