Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

Training Fish to Eat from Your Hand (Video)

This is something that a lot of people tend to ask about, so here's my take on it. :)

First, clean your hands thoroughly. I typically use Dr. Bronners unscented castile soap or Seventh Generation unscented dish soap.

Step 1: Spend time near the tank to get your fish used to your presence.

Step 2: Get your goldfish used to your hands being in the tank.

Step 3: Feed them by putting your food-filled hand in the water and making sure they see you drop the food. Let them eat it away from your hand.

Step 4: Start holding the food in your hand while staying motionless. Let them come to you and investigate without moving your hand.

Your goldfish will begin to eat from your hand!

I've had some fish who have eaten from my hand since day one (mostly telescopes) and others who took months to eat from my hand (mostly ryukins). This method has worked for even the most skittish fish. The red fish in this video was so incredibly skittish when I first got her about 1 year ago, and now she will not stop nibbling my hands!

Nice job, Jennie.

I'm moving this to the tips section of the forum, OK?

Nice job, Jennie.

I'm moving this to the tips section of the forum, OK?

Okay, I wasn't sure where to put it! : )

I love your videos, and I just subscribed! :heart

Can't wait till I can see your halloween tank...

Nice job :) I love it :) and Thank you :)

I need to try this..... I always wanted to get my fish used to hand feeding. The only fish of mine that would ever eat out of my hand is my bettas and my ADFs (which aren't even fish haha)

Thanks guys. :)

Thanks for subscribing yafashelli! My Halloween tank video will be posted at the end of the week this week, probably Friday!

So well done LOVE it :D I love your camera as well ;)

Thanks for making this. I love your videos. I subscribed as well, thanks for sharing! :hi

Great video, thanks for doing this!

Haha, I didn't even have to train mine! They just started doing it when I started feeding them soilent green regularly. I freeze it so it keeps longer and defrosted the little blocks by holding them in the water until they quit floating. Pretty soon they started coming up to take bites before I even dropped it.

Haha, I didn't even have to train mine! They just started doing it when I started feeding them soilent green regularly. I freeze it so it keeps longer and defrosted the little blocks by holding them in the water until they quit floating. Pretty soon they started coming up to take bites before I even dropped it.

Yeah some goldfish don't need to be trained. :) I found that pretty much all of my butterfly telescopes were very tame when I got them. But the ryukins were more skittish.

I have a butterfly telescope that is incredibly tame too, he's been eating from my hand almost since day one, I have a skittish fantail too who has been getting increasingly confident for the past few weeks so I followed some of your tips and on Saturday he ate from my hand for the first time too. I think it was a combination of my leaving my arm in the tank for him to acclimatise to, and his learning from the telescope through observation. I have one more little Moor who is getting closer and closer by the day but still hasn't bitten.

It's great to be able to feed them this way though, particularly as I was getting a little concerned about my fantail gobbling up everything before the two moors even knew what was going on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I enjoyed the video...thanks!! :clapping:

btw, your fish are beautiful, how old are they?

Aww, that's too cute! Thanks a lot for sharing this video! It was very nice! :)

Sakuras video is awesome but I have only had decent luck :) Some do, some are just too scared. Is there a trick I overlooked for skittish fish?

This video actually really helped me in my journey to hand feed. I took my time every day (it didn't hurt that my hands were in the tank 24/7), and within a couple weeks, they were eating out of my hand. Now I can't put my hand in the tank without them circling like cat-vultures. Lol! They always give me little fish kisses, and I want to kiss them back. :heart

When I immerse the fish flakes below the surface during feeding times, the little guys come straight to it....but sometime swim through the food and end up sucking my finger tips.

Could be my fingers look more scrumptious that the flakes!!

Your video was very helpful! I trained my little guys to eat out of my hand in about 3 days :) Granted, I'm in a small room and I'm always walking over to say hi to them...I found that once I taught one of them, the others caught on. Figures, there's food involved and no one likes to be the odd man out!

Thanks for the great advice!

I remember all the memories I had with Choco while hand feeding. He loved to suck on my fingers, and he'd come up to my fingers every time my hand was in the tank. Wheter it was decorating the tank or feeding, he'd come up to me. :heart