Sachi's Eye Issues, Round 2

vwashbur

I hate to resurrect this type of thread again but I'm back at this old problem again.

Anyways, I thought I had fully treated Sachi's cloudy eye and that we had achieved a full recovery. A few days ago I began noticing a little cloudiness in his right eye again, but nothing serious so I thought I'd wait and see if with clean water it would take care of itself. Wrong. Left the apartment yesterday and everything was fine, got back today and the eye is back at the severity it was last time and this time its gone over to the other eye and there is a white spot on the globe part of his eye as well.

Let's go back to the history (taken straight from the first thread I posted in August):

It's been about 2 months now that I've been battling this issue. Sachi began presenting with slight cloudiness in his right eye. It started as only the bottom of his eye and has gradually consumed the entire eye. I was hoping it would clear up and didn't want to jump to any conclusions (since I usually do) so I started doing more frequent and larger W/C's thinking it would clear it up. I was wrong. Nothing has happened and it continually gets worse. As of today there is what appears to be some bloodiness in it. When you look at his eye from the side its almost a cloudy yellow color instead of being clear.

Sachi is the fish I have with SBD which has been under control since the Repashy food and before that with homemade veggie gel food. Since the beginning of this cloudy eye thing the only change in his behavior is being a little slower to "get up" when the lights come on. I see my other two get moving quickly whereas he does a couple minutes of bottom sitting and then gets going. His appetite is impeccable, his behavior is normal, he is a strong swimmer and a fighter when held. His gill color is excellent and with the addition of acceptable food, his poops are remarkable except for the occasional constipation poops.

Now in comparison, there is no bloody fluids in the eye atm however, both eyes ARE affected this time. But again, there is no change in behavior. The only other sign/symptom is the little white mark that looks like a scrape on the globe portion on the outside of the actual eye lens.

I just got back from picking up some Mortons Canning and Pickling Salt and will begin to treat with that. I'll start at 0.1% and make my way up to 0.2% and then 0.3% if needed.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on with him? This doesn't seem to be just an injury anymore, but more of a recurring problem.

Photos are coming soon. My camera battery is charging :/

Here's the rest of the information you may need:

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 5 ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0 ppm
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.9
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.9
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Whisper and Marineland running 400 gph
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 75
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? every Tuesday 90%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Tuesday was 90% and then again on Friday 50%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallon, about 3 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4, all approx 2 in body length (give or take a bit)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy, duckweed, Thera A formula, and peas
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, about 3 1/2 weeks ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Sachi's eye cloudiness and SBD
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? All explained above
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Explained above
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Only salt for all issues
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSC03792_zps3411a548.jpg

DSC03791_zps0876f120.jpg

DSC03790_zpsa9a236e9.jpg

DSC03789_zpsf6e54c9f.jpg

Hopefully this shows enough of the eyes, and that darn white spot on his eye. If you need any more photos or something more detailed please let me know.

ok hun, please don't salt more than 0.1% until i've discussed this with the mod team. are there any other signs of external problems at all other than the eyes?

Yes ma'am :) I'll wait to hear back from you. Thanks Helen!

Oh, and totally forgot to answer you question...but no, just those. No missing scales, gill color checks out fine, no torn fins, no floaty behavior or bottom sitting. Nothing except the weird eye thing. And none of my other fish are affected, just Sachi.

Edited by vwashbur

• Supporter

ok hun, i have discussed this with a few members of the Mod team. we're thinking because this is coming back again and now affecting both eyes, this could be an unresolved bacteria problem.

we've discussed treatments and we're all in sync with wanting you to try Medi-Gold. is it possible for you to buy this product if you don't already have it and begin treating as per instructions on the packet?

i still think that salt higher than 0.1% is not required at this stage.

• Supporter

DSC03792_zps3411a548.jpg

DSC03791_zps0876f120.jpg

DSC03790_zpsa9a236e9.jpg

DSC03789_zpsf6e54c9f.jpg

Hopefully this shows enough of the eyes, and that darn white spot on his eye. If you need any more photos or something more detailed please let me know.

ok hun, please don't salt more than 0.1% until i've discussed this with the mod team. are there any other signs of external problems at all other than the eyes?

Yes ma'am :) I'll wait to hear back from you. Thanks Helen!

Oh, and totally forgot to answer you question...but no, just those. No missing scales, gill color checks out fine, no torn fins, no floaty behavior or bottom sitting. Nothing except the weird eye thing. And none of my other fish are affected, just Sachi.

ok, awesome.. i've seen the pics. normally on a moor, if there is any normal film over the eye, it tends to be a little on the brown side. but since this is more of a white film, i agree with my initial thoughts of an unresolved bacteria.

Gosh, a bacterial problem? Ok, well yes I will find a way to get my hands on Medi-Gold. This is from Goldfish connection right?

Also, can the other fish be affected from this and are not showing signs yet?

And per your question regarding the white spot...Im not sure if you canr ead what the speech bubble says but essentially where the speech bubble originates indicates the mark Im referring to. Also the white mark is not raised or fluffy at all. It just looks like a white glare or something.

DSC03791_zps065abfc0.jpg

I'd also like to make a note that if you're salting now your plants may be adversely affected!

Thanks PSP, but these plants have made it through a couple 0.3% salt Txs and they've pulled through with me so they can just hang out through 0.1% lol

• Supporter

i would like to confirm that it does look like a scrape to me..perhaps foraging around where the rocks are, it's most likely a scrape :) if it's a common occurance, it should never really show any more than that and will regain colour only to lose it again next time it's scraped :)

i do believe Medi-Gold is a goldfish connection product :)

Ok wonderful, its good to know it isn't related to this cloudy eye issue. It's really become a frustrating problem at this point.

So Goldfish Connection lists both Medi-Gold and Medi-Gold: Jumpstart special. Which one should I be getting?

The jumpstart is a probiotic food that's good to feed after the MG, (its a package deal) but you could also make a gel food and add some probiotics to it to feed after the MG. either way you'll want to feed a probiotic food after treatment

Unfortunately, he does

I only say this because there is a chance it will make him floaty, as this has happened with other fish in the past. He may also be fine. The alternative is to just make gel food and add some probiotics to it. I'll leave it up to you :)

I think I'll just do my own gel food with probiotics. What type would you recommend? I just dont want to risk stressing him out even more if he does happen to get floaty from it.

• Supporter

hun, so after the medi-gold, you can make your own gelfood mixed with probiotics. choose veggies that aren't gassy such as spinach, peas, carrots.. if you don't already have, some say that Agar Agar is better for binding the food as gelatine can cause floatiness also..

pro-biotics? i am not sure which is available to you over there. so i will have discussions again with the team and either i or they will get back to you.

so can i confirm, is the Medi-Gold ordered now?

Hello,

For probiotics, I tend to shy away from the typical Lactobacillus acidophilus tablets, because I don't know how well they actually work. I've been using stuff from Centrum, which looks like this

300.JPG

It comes in several sizes, I believe.

For making your own gel, you use 20 million cells per gram of food :)

hun, so after the medi-gold, you can make your own gelfood mixed with probiotics. choose veggies that aren't gassy such as spinach, peas, carrots.. if you don't already have, some say that Agar Agar is better for binding the food as gelatine can cause floatiness also.. pro-biotics? i am not sure which is available to you over there. so i will have discussions again with the team and either i or they will get back to you. so can i confirm, is the Medi-Gold ordered now?

Helen, I have been trying to order for several hours now and for whatever reason the Goldfish Connection site must be experiencing issues because I can't get past the homepage. I was in class all day but tried around 1 pm during my lunch break and couldn't, I tried again around 3 pm and just tried again now. As soon as it is up I will order some ASAP.

He doesn't look any better today even with 0.1% salt in there but hopefully it stabilizes the effects long enough for the medicated food to arrive. Do we know of anyone with the phone number that I could call and just order by phone?

Alex, I cant find a 1-800 number anywhere. I just checked my bank account and show a pending transaction but I never received a confirmation of my order so I just e-mailed Rick. Is there anything I can do that would make the process go quicker than waiting for an e-mail response?