• * Nitrate level (Tank) 5
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): .50
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua clear 70, Aqua clear 50
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? -
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 3-4 days, 80%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days ago, 80%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallons, few months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 oranda, about 4-5 inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro Gold a couple times a day and veggies
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Gulping air and long stringy poop
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi/Salt for about 4-5 weeks when I first got him. Melafix was used for 7 days for Fungus. None other than that.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.
    I'm trying to upload a video, i can't find my camera and my phone isn't sending videos

So Otis has been gulping air very frequently. He has always been a bit of an air drinker, but I have noticed it happening much more often. Every time I leave the room and peek in he's at the surface gulping air for minutes at a time. I wasn't very concerned but now I'm thinking it may be a re-infestation of flukes. He also has long stingy white poop. I have fasted and fed spinach for days after. Not all of his poop is white and stringy, but a lot of it is. His belly doesn't feel too soft. I can press on it but it's not really squishy, it's not completely firm either. Gills are red. Trying to upload a video but like I said phones not working.

thanks for reading :)

Does this happen throughout the day or more so after feeding?

Well I notice it primarily after feeding, but it also happens during fasting

Still trying to get that video up. I just want to make sure if it is something I can fix it before my new fish goes in the main tank.

We'll wait for the video. When did you last treat for flukes, and how many rounds did you treat? Which prazi product did you use?

Aside from all this, I just want to commend you for the awesome number of WCs you are doing! :D

We'll wait for the video. When did you last treat for flukes, and how many rounds did you treat? Which prazi product did you use?

Aside from all this, I just want to commend you for the awesome number of WCs you are doing! :D

Thank you Alex! After doing daily water changes for 3 months, every 3 days is nothing : D the faucet adapter helps too haha

I last treated for flukes about 2 months ago for 5 rounds. I use the liquid PraziPro and morton canning salt. Should have the video up tomorrow, I have been really busy today and I can't figure out my new phone.

Sounds good! Thanks! :)

Here's the video:

Thank you!

Edited by sarajo

You have plenty of aeration...

Do you notice that he does this more so after feeding?

Also, it doesn't hurt to salt to 0.1% and prazi treat for a round to see if it makes a difference :)

You have plenty of aeration...

Do you notice that he does this more so after feeding?

Also, it doesn't hurt to salt to 0.1% and prazi treat for a round to see if it makes a difference :)

Yes, he does this more after feeding. It's a brand new package of Pro Gold so the pellets can't be spoiled. I know some cases of gulping air is to alleviate the swim bladder, so maybe trying a gel food might help?

That might be a good idea. I agree that gulping at the surface can be worrying, though.

Let's do this. Let's switch to an all green diet for the next three days. Well cooked spinach or kale would be great. Then see how his poop is, and also the surface gulping.

It does worry me, especially since I have a new fish coming and the last thing I want is a sick fish in the tank she will be going in eventually.

That sounds good to me. I am also doing a round of Prazi and salt just to be on the safe side. I will let you know how it's going in 3 days. Thank you!

So I have fed spinach for 2 days and fasted everyone yesterday. Poo is looking normal, so the pro gold must be causing constipation. Still noticing gulping but not as much, only when I'm standing in front of his tank and he begs. I'm going to do a water change today to get rid of the salt and prazi and see if the gulping continues without meds

Just an update.. he's back on pro gold and still drinking air. His behavior is fine aside from this. I just ordered soilent green since everyone raves about it so I can see if the pro gold is the cause. Otherwise I dont know why he's still doing this :( it might just be normal behavior. When he was fed spinach and fasted poo and air drinking lessened but still occurred so I'm thinking they might be it

Pro gold made all my fishes gulp air like crazy. They literally wanted to glue their faces to the surface, they would break away once in a while to swim around but had to hurriedly rush back within 10 seconds like their lifes depend on it. They returned to normal as soon as I switched back to other foods, even when other foods are also commercial pellets.

It's definitely worth switching over to the Repashy to see if the different food will cause a change in behavior :)

This fish has been gulping air at the surface for about 10 minutes now and it's driving me absolutely insane. I just fed repashy for the 1st time so we'll see how it goes for the next few days. the poo is normal so that's good :)

I think that change in food will be helpful here :)

^^ I hope so, no luck so far. It appears to be happening more frequently. I have been feeding very little Pro-Gold and mainly veggies while waiting for the Soilent Green to arrive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is only his diet that needs to be changed and not something else!

just an update. Otis appears to have some buoyancy issues now, he is having trouble swimming to the bottom of the tank and just floats back up to the top. I've been feeding nothing but soilent green for the past week or so...I'm fasting tomorrow and will go from there. My other fish won't stop releasing eggs. Fish madness over here right now... :krazy:

:yikes

Fast them all for three days, please!