Sign in to follow this  
friendlyfishies

Red Cap wen trimming info?

I bought 2 goldfish about 12 days ago at the local petco. I bought a normal gold fancy and red cap. The red cap was just too cute! Im not entirely new to fish as I have bettas and guppies but I am new to goldfish and should have done a bit more research...my gold goldfish died :/ it injured its fin and developed a bacterial infection. I tried to medicate et but it didnt work out. I still have my red cap oranda though and so far she seems just fine but will be making a big move to my 20 gallon long tank today (they were currently in a 15 gal hex).

Yesterday upon my research I stumbled across an article and some video's of wen trimming! It really jumped me to be honest...I had no idea this was necessary. The article I was reading mostly focused on big orandas.

Last night I lost a lot of sleep over it...debating whether or not to return the fish (im still within the 14 day return policy/its day 12 today)...but then this morning I found out shes a red cap! and now im like phew...maybe I dodged that bullet. From pics im seeing of red caps their wen appears to be much smaller than the oranda's and Im having trouble finding many articles about wen trimming on red caps which tends to make me think its not very common to have to trim the wen on a red cap oranda?

So basically I would just like to know, Is it common to have to trim back the red cap orandas wen? (not talking regular oranda, only red caps) or do their wen stay out of the way for the most part?

welcome to kokos :)

it really depends what kind of oranda you have. some do and some don't in their entire lives need wen trimming. would you like to post a pic or two of your fish so that we can determine if they're heading down that path?

Wen trimming is only something you need to consider if the wen grows too much that it starts to affect the fish (in terms of finding food, and general quality of life) A lot of members here has Orandas with wens that completely cover their eyes, but the fish themselves still have a good quality of life and are able to find food easily, so in that situation there is no need to trim a wen. Maybe some pictures of your oranda?

Red caps won't necessarily grow larger wens than other orandas, it is all based genetically whether the when will be big or small, the rate it will grow, etc. :)

How do I post a pic on this forum?

If you have a photo on photobucket, just right click on it, copy IMG , and past it where you write text in when you go to make a post and it should appear here for us :)

Like so:

Untitledpicture_zpsde7629c4.png?t=1348405559

jjj_zps90ce31ab.png?t=1348405591

Edited by Narny105

i have a strong feeling you will not have a concern for an overgrown wen with the fish you have :)

Thank you so much for your quick responces! ...I feel much better now and am eager to provide an awesome life for this little cutie! And thank you for the welcome :D

I second the vote that you PROBABLY should not have a problem. I have had many Orandas over a long period of time & never had a problem. ALSO fish are quite capable of finding food & living quite well without sight.

Oh And by the way......WHAT AN ADORABLE LIL' FISHIE!!!!!!!

Edited by Jeana727

you're very welcome :) and please feel welcome at anytime to post for help.. even if it seems a small issue, better to get our opinion early than to have something grow into a bigger problem.. good luck :) you sure have a very cute fishie there :)

I have a red cap also, and I worry about wen trimming too, so I hear you! I think your little guy should be okay though. lol! What a cutie!

Cute fishie! I wouldn't worry too mcuh about wen trimming. As a matter of fact, there are many folks that actually encourage wen growth :thumb:

Yeah Trimming wens isnt something we encourage :no:

A real red cap usually grows most of its wen on the top of his head, kind of looking like he is wearing a French hat.

As long as the size does not get out of hand to the point that his hat weighs him down, there is no need to cut.

I usually only see these procedures done on fish that also have a lot of wen on their face, covering their eyes eventually. But that is something that does not happen to all fish. Usually they still can see enough and live with the wen without having to have it trimmed :)

A real red cap usually grows most of its wen on the top of his head, kind of looking like he is wearing a French hat.

French Hat :tomuch:

Does that mean they have French accents too :rofl3

:rofl

Does he like croissants?

oh là là :rofl3:rofl2

French Hat :tomuch:

Does that mean they have French accents too :rofl3

Does he like croissants?

Yes, and a little bicycle to ride with a basket to carry their baguettes in :lol

Does he like croissants?

Oui! Il adore un croissant!

(Yes! He loves a croissant!)

Hee Hee! :D