Please help me out- ANYTHING helps

I have your little cave, and it's definitely bad news. It was my favorite aquarium ornament until I pulled it out of the tank and a whole mess of gunk backwashed into the tank from the holes in the bottom. The resulting bacterial bloom was two months of absolute misery. Here is proof, and by the time this picture was taken, it was 100% BETTER than it had been:

101_3722.jpg

I tried to seal it with silicone, and weight it with rocks, but it didn't work. Get it out of your tank before it kills someone.

You probably won't get credit back because your decorations are used, and not in salable condition, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I gave my cave to my son, and he now uses it with his slot car race set.

Moving Oscar from the 10 gallon, to the 65, is a big change. It's a huge tank with a huge difference in depth. It's going to take him a few days to destress, and even start to explore his environment. Have you been keeping the aquarium lights off, so that he takes a chill pill? The lighting being off can also help a lot.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have your little cave, and it's definitely bad news. It was my favorite aquarium ornament until I pulled it out of the tank and a whole mess of gunk backwashed into the tank from the holes in the bottom. The resulting bacterial bloom was two months of absolute misery. Here is proof, and by the time this picture was taken, it was 100% BETTER than it had been:

101_3722.jpg

I tried to seal it with silicone, and weight it with rocks, but it didn't work. Get it out of your tank before it kills someone.

You probably won't get credit back because your decorations are used, and not in salable condition, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I gave my cave to my son, and he now uses it with his slot car race set.

Moving Oscar from the 10 gallon, to the 65, is a big change. It's a huge tank with a huge difference in depth. It's going to take him a few days to destress, and even start to explore his environment. Have you been keeping the aquarium lights off, so that he takes a chill pill? The lighting being off can also help a lot.

Adorable fishies you have there!

Just pulled the cave out, THANK YOU SO MUCH from saving me from gross water!

What do you suggest I put in the big as for decor?

Also, Oscar is going to stay in his own tank(just got a brand new 10 gallon, yay!)

Much easier on me and him both :)

I hope that you will not be offended by my comments, but I still do not understand why and how you think it will be easier on your fish Oscar to live in a 10 gallon, while you are prepping for a much larger tank for everyone else. It is beyond a doubt that goldfish are social creatures, and a 10 gallon really is unsuitable for any goldfish beyond the occasional QT or when they are very young.

If it's your choice to put him the 10 gallons because it is somehow easier on you, then so be it, but I just want to dispel the notion that it's somehow easier for him to be there.

I hope you will take these suggestions to heart. All of us here combined have hundreds of experience years in keeping goldfish. We'd like for you to be able to keep healthy fish, and to enjoy them in the most responsible way possible. :)

I hope that you will not be offended by my comments, but I still do not understand why and how you think it will be easier on your fish Oscar to live in a 10 gallon, while you are prepping for a much larger tank for everyone else. It is beyond a doubt that goldfish are social creatures, and a 10 gallon really is unsuitable for any goldfish beyond the occasional QT or when they are very young.

If it's your choice to put him the 10 gallons because it is some easier on you, then so be it, but I just want to dispel that notion that it's somehow easier for him to be there.

I hope you will take these suggestions to heart. All of us combined here have hundreds of experience years in keeping goldfish. We'd like for you to be able to keep healthy fish, and to enjoy them in the most responsible way possible. :)

Thanks for the input:)

Well, I will be upgrading for Chirstmas and Oscar is still very young.

I certainly do take all comments to heart, and think about each idea. (I actully keep them in a Microsoft Word document)

P.s.

I am certainly not offended at any comments that are constructive As yours are :)

Honestly Christmas is pretty far away, and in that period of time you could stunt him even with pristine living conditions. Goldfish just aren't meant to be in small tanks and ten gallons is pretty tiny. Why couldn't you put him with the other with a divider until Christmas and then move him to his own spacious tank?

Honestly Christmas is pretty far away, and in that period of time you could stunt him even with pristine living conditions. Goldfish just aren't meant to be in small tanks and ten gallons is pretty tiny. Why couldn't you put him with the other with a divider until Christmas and then move him to his own spacious tank?

A very good friend of mine has kept 2 comets in a ten gallon tank their whole lives.

Each fish is very healthy and happy, and they are fully grown.

They are 16 years old.

I would never have a bowl, but my teacher has kept 3 Goldies in a 4 gallon bowl with no filter or anything, for 6 years.

Since comets are very hardy,they can handle not so perfect living conditions:)

The only thing I will ask for this Christmas is a 20 gallon tank:)

I have to agree with what everyone is saying. I had a common grow an inch a month. With that in mind, Oscar could be 6 inches by Christmas. That is much too big for a 10 gallon or even a 20.

I am sorry, but when you say "fully grown" do you mean the full 12 inches a common or comet can grow? Or do you mean stunted for life at 4 inches?

Edited by ashlee18

Please remember, not dying is not the same as not thriving. Your idea of what a common goldfish look like at full grown is almost definitely inaccurate. You are not doing whats best for your pets, you are thinking of yourself.

I'm outta here.

A very good friend of mine has kept 2 comets in a ten gallon tank their whole lives.

Each fish is very healthy and happy, and they are fully grown.

They are 16 years old.

I would never have a bowl, but my teacher has kept 3 Goldies in a 4 gallon bowl with no filter or anything, for 6 years.

Since comets are very hardy,they can handle not so perfect living conditions:)

The only thing I will ask for this Christmas is a 20 gallon tank:)

Just like GreenTea said, surviving isn't the same as thriving. A fish may be able to live it's life in a 10 gallon, but technically a dog can also live it's life in a small cage. Still, is this fair?

Keep in mind that as a pet owner, it is our prerogative to give our pets the best in life and supply them with what they need to thrive, and not just survive. Your friend may have been able to have fish in a small tank for that long, but that is no excuse for someone else to do the same :)

We can all live in not so perfect living conditions. But no one wants to.

I am sorry. But I can't read this thread or any of your threads and posts anymore. We are trying to help but you won't listen.

Just because they can survive does not mean it is right or healthy for them to be kept in those conditions. A human can survive in a closet for probably their entire lives provided food. Is that healthy or safe for the person? No. The same goes for fish. It honestly makes me sad that you're trying to justify others' wrong behavior as an excuse for your own ignorance despite our best efforts to help you. 20 gallons is still no where near enough for a comet. Please do what is best and just put the fish in the 65 or find a new home for it, because I don't think it will survive you doing what you feel is best for it, rather than what is actually in the best interests of the animal.

Just because you can stick a fish in a tiny bowl and leave it there doesn't mean it lived a good life. Commons and comets get HUGE. Like a foot or so. He would be fine in the 65 but if you don't want to listen to reason by people who do know more about fish keeping than you, please don't be surprised if he gets really sick one day. If you don't want to do what is best for your fish then don't ask for help. The people here LOVE to help anyone they can and will do so as many times as needed, but if the person they are helping doesn't accept their help, then eventually no one will want to help at all, which is what is happening to you right now. I can't really say anymore without getting upset or rude, so I am following Ashlee and Greenteas lead.

Good luck, you will most certainly need it.

I have to agree with what everyone is saying. I had a common grow an inch a month. With that in mind, Oscar could be 6 inches by Christmas. That is much too big for a 10 gallon or even a 20.

I am sorry, but when you say "fully grown" do you mean the full 12 inches a common or comet can grow? Or do you mean stunted for life at 4 inches?

12 inches

Before this threads gets (any more) out of hand, I am going to close it. However, I would like to sum up a few things in the posts, just so that the point isn't lost.

As a community, Koko's Goldfish members are making these recommendations to you:

1. Upgrade your tank. 10 gallons is never going to be ideal, no matter if others have done it before, done it with more fish, or done it with smaller tanks and bowls. Others' irresponsibility can never be used to justify your own.

2. Goldfish are (semi) social creatures, and as such, thrive in environments where there are other goldfish around. There is no such thing as a fish who wants to be a bachelor goldfish.

3. Single tails such as commons, comets, and shubunkins can and do live very well with all types of fancies. This need not be a concern if an opportunity arises for you to house both types together in a much larger setup.

4. We are always more than happy to help you keep (gold)fish responsibly. This will mean that we will not simply agree with anything. We will have the fish's best interest, along with yours, when we make the suggestions.

I know there's a lot of conflicting information out there, but as with anything else, when an entire group of people all agree on certain things, you would benefit from listening this good advice. We are trying to make things easier, and more fun, for you in the long run.

Good luck!