Please help me out- ANYTHING helps

And one of the things about asking for help, is you have to actually try to take the advice people try to give you, or else there isn't anything we can really do for you. That may sound a little insensitive but it is true. I have gotten advice that was unsolicited and could have been viewed as insensitive and even though I didn't really want to take it, I knew they were right and I took it anyways and I haven't been disappointed. You can't lose when you take advice from people who may know more for you. If you want Oscar to be happy, you may want to take some of the advice you have gotten already. :)

Thank you for the idea,

Is one day enough to observe his behavoir?

That was well said.

I agree... Kokos is here to help but we cant support your hobby. We all have to work hard to keep our pets healthy and happy its call responsibility :) Im sorry your having a hard time, but we all go through this. We do help what we can, but we cant support everyones hobby.... :(

I know an im sorry:(

I just cannot give Oscar away, he is what got me into this whole hobby in the first place. I'm going to really try and save money and do lots of jobs to get some money

You don't necessarily need to give him away. You can try to put him in the big tank and get one less fancy. He may not pick on Matilda, and he will probably just swim happily around. I have 2 commons in my 55, and they don't pick on my one eyed telescope. They will be relocated to at least a 60 gallon pond/ aquarium when they get bigger. But you won't know if he can co-exist unless you try. Fish pick on each other when they don't have enough room. 65 gallons is more than enough room to give both fish their space. Just try to put him in there. Keep an eye on their actions, and if he starts picking on the others, take him out and put him back in his aquarium and save up for a 30 gallon or 40 breeder. There isn't anything to lose by putting them together. He may end up being totally happy and not picking on Matilda and then you don't have to save up for another tank, and you can use that money to get them other things they need! Just give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I think I am missing something |:?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And one of the things about asking for help, is you have to actually try to take the advice people try to give you, or else there isn't anything we can really do for you. That may sound a little insensitive but it is true. I have gotten advice that was unsolicited and could have been viewed as insensitive and even though I didn't really want to take it, I knew they were right and I took it anyways and I haven't been disappointed. You can't lose when you take advice from people who may know more for you. If you want Oscar to be happy, you may want to take some of the advice you have gotten already. :)

Thank you for the idea,

That was well said.

I agree... Kokos is here to help but we cant support your hobby. We all have to work hard to keep our pets healthy and happy its call responsibility :) Im sorry your having a hard time, but we all go through this. We do help what we can, but we cant support everyones hobby.... :(

I just cannot give Oscar away, he is what got me into this whole hobby in the first place. I'm going to really try and save money and do lots of jobs to get some money

You don't necessarily need to give him away. You can try to put him in the big tank and get one less fancy. He may not pick on Matilda, and he will probably just swim happily around. I have 2 commons in my 55, and they don't pick on my one eyed telescope. They will be relocated to at least a 60 gallon pond/ aquarium when they get bigger. But you won't know if he can co-exist unless you try. Fish pick on each other when they don't have enough room. 65 gallons is more than enough room to give both fish their space. Just try to put him in there. Keep an eye on their actions, and if he starts picking on the others, take him out and put him back in his aquarium and save up for a 30 gallon or 40 breeder. There isn't anything to lose by putting them together. He may end up being totally happy and not picking on Matilda and then you don't have to save up for another tank, and you can use that money to get them other things they need! Just give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Oh i said Is one day enough time to observe his behavior in the big tank?

Thank you for the idea,

That was well said.

Yes, and if he does good in there, you can leave him for a couple of days while observing him. If he starts becoming aggressive you can take him back out, and Matilda will be safe (: There are also ways to slowly introduce an aggressive fish into a tank. Post back on here with your observations, and we can recommend a good course of action (:

Thank you for the idea,

That was well said.

Yes, and if he does good in there, you can leave him for a couple of days while observing him. If he starts becoming aggressive you can take him back out, and Matilda will be safe (: There are also ways to slowly introduce an aggressive fish into a tank. Post back on here with your observations, and we can recommend a good course of action (:

I talked to my mom about Oscar's leaky tank and how it was an emergency, so we are of to petco tonight:) I'm going to get a 20 gallon just in case Oscar doesn't do well with my sweetie.

and btw im so sorry to hear about your fish:( his poor eye:(

Thank you for the idea,

That was well said.

I talked to my mom about Oscar's leaky tank and how it was an emergency, so we are of to petco tonight:) I'm going to get a 20 gallon just in case Oscar doesn't do well with my sweetie.

and btw im so sorry to hear about your fish:( his poor eye:(

He is adjusting very well to one eyed sight (: He just went back in my tank recently and hasn't gotten picked on, though my Oranda likes to fin nip for some reason so I am slowly introducing her into the tank, which will help the aggression. Let me know how it goes, alright? We really want to help you make Oscar happy, and he would love being in the 65. But I know that sometimes fish just don't work with other fish, not that we can't try everything first to make sure (;

TheseGoldiesStoleMyHeart,

Can you describe what your current setup currently is? I am confused on exactly what you have.

Please include:

Tanks and sizes, # of current fish, what your feeding, what health problems the fish may have, what decor you have, what plants and live for fake, filtration, air pumps, lighting and such.

The more we know, the better suggestions we can give and the better we can help.

Good Luck!

:)

Can you describe what your current setup currently is? I am confused on exactly what you have.

Please include:

Tanks and sizes, # of current fish, what your feeding, what health problems the fish may have, what decor you have, what plants and live for fake, filtration, air pumps, lighting and such.

The more we know, the better suggestions we can give and the better we can help.

Good Luck!

May i post some pics instead of listing all decor and plants and such?

Acro is trying to help you. It would be really awesome if you could take 2 minutes and fill out that information for him. It's not very many questions, and they are important ones :thumb:

Edited by GreenTea

Please include:

Good Luck!

May i post some pics instead of listing all decor and plants and such?

65 gallon tank with one black moor 3 inches

10 gallon tank with one comet 3 inches

10 gallon QT with baby oranda with lots of missing scales and cuts

omega one sinking pellets

no health problems

65 gallon tank

penguin 375

lighted hood

air pump and bubble wall and air stone

decor:

Castle,cave, silk plants, bondsi tree cave

10 gallon

filter whisper 10i

air pump and lighted bubble wall

decor:

rainbow statue, spawning mop

QT tank:

Whisper10i

air pump and stone

silk plant small

lighted hood

Sometimes just changing up your decorations can stop a fish who's being territorial. I think your fish will be just fine in the 65--probably very happy to have a friend. Goldfish are social creatures, and having one alone isn't necessarily good.

First I gotta say, awesome one eyed Matilda fish! I love the odd ones and high five to you for helping her out! (I have a no eyed fish myself)

Oscar is a very handsome comet too!

Now for the info. It's a lot to take in, but there are no emergencies. Everything will be ok and you can work through it all. Please research the stuff I suggest and remember, it is all just suggestions. Suggestions from research and experience, but suggestions either way. Do with it what you will. :)

From the pictures, I do have to warn you about your decor. ALL your decor looks like it's hollow. And not just hollow, but "closed hollow". "Closed hollow" decor does not allow good water circulation, thus bad bacteria can build up and that can cause all sorts of problems for your fish. I lost my Krang because of that. "Open hollow" items, for example, are pots, aquarium made skulls, "broken" vases and such. Those allow water to circulate and prevents bad bacteria from building up and are safe to use.

For your tanks, you can totally put Oscar with Matilda. My 2 blind fish (one has no eyes, the other is just blind) live fine with my other sighted fish. If you find that Matilda is not getting enough to eat, teach her to hand feed. I would be glad to teach you, how to teach your fish, hand feeding but in another post. Also, if you find Oscar being aggressive with Matilda, put up a screen to separate them. Even when the baby oranda clears QT, you should be able to put them together in the 65. That may actually help if Oscar is aggressive with Matilda, with another fish he may be distracted and become less aggressive (I had that happen with some fish before).

But the rule is: 20 gallons for the 1st fancy fish, 10 gallons for the 2nd fancy and 20 gallons for a single tail. You should be just fine. (But don't push your luck by adding any more fish, you want those extra gallons just incase!)

I would suggest trying to feed a larger variety of foods (I can send you some other foods later). But try some of the foods members have suggested.

Focus on saving money for a more filtration. You want 650 hour per gallon of filtration in a 65 gallon tank. With the Penguin, you have about half that. Your fish are currently small, so not a huge rush if you are doing water changes every week, but you will need to add more filtration in a few months.

So, to sum it up:

Try feeding more types of food.

Pull out any "closed hollow" decor in the tank. Just take out one a day and add extra beneficial bacteria when you remove it (cause some beneficial bacteria is already living on the decor and you want to replace some of it). No rush to replace the decor, the fish will be fine with out it for a bit.

A day or two after the "closed hollow" decor is out, you can add Oscar in with Matilda! Just watch them for aggression and use food as a distraction.

If Oscar is very aggressive, put up a screen to separate them.

When baby-fish clears QT, put baby-fish in with Oscar and Matilda and see how they act.

Don't add more fish.

Next, don't get any more fish. And may I suggest not getting any more fish? I also want to say that adding more fish to a 65 gallon tank is not suggested.

Having an understocked tank is much easier to keep than a tank that is at it's fill or over stocked.

Finally, Add more filtration, maybe for Christmas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If any of what I wrote is confusing, please let me know.

These are just suggestions. Some from research, some form experience. It may not be what you want to hear but I am just giving you advice and thoughts. Do with it what you will.

Last of all, if you put the fish together, feed stuff from the kitchen, get the filter and some decor for Christmas....what may you still need from your list? Meds (what meds? who's sick?)....water chemicals (like what? testing, prime?)....salt (you can get some cheap...someone list the types please, I've typed too much tonight! lol).

:D Good LUCK! :D

Edited by Acro

First I gotta say, awesome one eyed Matilda fish! I love the odd ones and high five to you for helping her out! (I have a no eyed fish myself)

Oscar is a very handsome comet too!

Now for the info. It's a lot to take in, but there are no emergencies. Everything will be ok and you can work through it all. Please research the stuff I suggest and remember, it is all just suggestions. Suggestions from research and experience, but suggestions either way. Do with it what you will. :)

From the pictures, I do have to warn you about your decor. ALL your decor looks like it's hollow. And not just hollow, but "closed hollow". "Closed hollow" decor does not allow good water circulation, thus bad bacteria can build up and that can cause all sorts of problems for your fish. I lost my Krang because of that. "Open hollow" items, for example, are pots, aquarium made skulls, "broken" vases and such. Those allow water to circulate and prevents bad bacteria from building up and are safe to use.

For your tanks, you can totally put Oscar with Matilda. My 2 blind fish (one has no eyes, the other is just blind) live fine with my other sighted fish. If you find that Matilda is not getting enough to eat, teach her to hand feed. I would be glad to teach you, how to teach your fish, hand feeding but in another post. Also, if you find Oscar being aggressive with Matilda, put up a screen to separate them. Even when the baby oranda clears QT, you should be able to put them together in the 65. That may actually help if Oscar is aggressive with Matilda, with another fish he may be distracted and become less aggressive (I had that happen with some fish before).

But the rule is: 20 gallons for the 1st fancy fish, 10 gallons for the 2nd fancy and 20 gallons for a single tail. You should be just fine. (But don't push your luck by adding any more fish, you want those extra gallons just incase!)

I would suggest trying to feed a larger variety of foods (I can send you some other foods later). But try some of the foods members have suggested.

Focus on saving money for a more filtration. You want 650 hour per gallon of filtration in a 65 gallon tank. With the Penguin, you have about half that. Your fish are currently small, so not a huge rush if you are doing water changes every week, but you will need to add more filtration in a few months.

So, to sum it up:

Try feeding more types of food.

Pull out any "closed hollow" decor in the tank. Just take out one a day and add extra beneficial bacteria when you remove it (cause some beneficial bacteria is already living on the decor and you want to replace some of it). No rush to replace the decor, the fish will be fine with out it for a bit.

A day or two after the "closed hollow" decor is out, you can add Oscar in with Matilda! Just watch them for aggression and use food as a distraction.

If Oscar is very aggressive, put up a screen to separate them.

When baby-fish clears QT, put baby-fish in with Oscar and Matilda and see how they act.

Don't add more fish.

Next, don't get any more fish. And may I suggest not getting any more fish? I also want to say that adding more fish to a 65 gallon tank is not suggested.

Having an understocked tank is much easier to keep than a tank that is at it's fill or over stocked.

Finally, Add more filtration, maybe for Christmas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If any of what I wrote is confusing, please let me know.

These are just suggestions. Some from research, some form experience. It may not be what you want to hear but I am just giving you advice and thoughts. Do with it what you will.

Last of all, if you put the fish together, feed stuff from the kitchen, get the filter and some decor for Christmas....what may you still need from your list? Meds (what meds? who's sick?)....water chemicals (like what? testing, prime?)....salt (you can get some cheap...someone list the types please, I've typed too much tonight! lol).

:D Good LUCK! :D

Hi!

Thanks for all the great advice!

It's a lot to take in:)

Can I get store credit for my castle decor if I return it to Petsmart?

My cave and bonsai allow adequate water flow, so are those OK?

How's this or something similar?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4368180&lmdn=Fish+Decor

If that's not good, please link me to some "safe" decor from Petsmart under $30

For Christmas, I'm going to ask for more filtrartion and a bigger tank for Oscar.

He really enjoys being by himself, he's very happy:)

THANK YOU SO MUCH for offering to spend me food :D

That would be so awesome!!!

I also just made gel food

Edit:

My filter is rated for 75 gallons

Edited by TheseGoldiesStoleMyHeart

Also,

I put Oscar in for the day today.

It wasn't aggression, they just didn't have interest in eachother.

They just went on opposite sides of the tank....

I would MUCH rather have him on his own....he enjoys being a bachelor! Lol

I would let Oscar stay in the tank for a while. He still needs time to get used to it, and if after a week of constantly being in the 65 he doesn't return to his normally happy self, then I would say he probably does enjoy being a bachelor. So let him be in there for a week, monitoring his progress. If he doesn't act happily by the end of the week he can live on his own (: Check this out so you can read up on the difference between closed hollow and open hollow: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/water-quality-articles/hollow-ornaments-r309

It is possible to have both on the same ornament, so if your cave has holes in the bottom it's still bad hollow. If you can post pictures of them from the bottom we can help you if you are still confused.

Welcome! I am glad you thanked me, it took forever to write. lol

You said "Can I get store credit for my castle decor if I return it to Petsmart?" Maybe, if you can make it look not used.

As for the cave and bonsai...do they naturally sink, or did they need to fill with water to sink? If truely solid, they will not fill with water (sending bubbles up), and when you remove them they will not drain water (some need to be shaken to drain water). From what I remember, that cave decor is hollow and needs to fill with water. I don't know about the bonsai, but it looked hollow to me. Give them a good inspection and let us know what you find.

Tomorrow I will look through petsmart's website and pick out some decor I know are open hollow and pick out some that are closed hollow. It's too late for that tonight. Maybe I will make a new topic about that to help out others.

Oscar may seem happy by himself, but that would be odd if he really was. Goldfish naturally form lose schools and are social fish. He may just need to get used to having a friend. :)

Congrats on making gel food! Did they like it?

Filter companies will show what their filter is "rated" for. But they normally rate a filter for tropical fish, that are not very messy fish. Goldfish are VERY messy and need 10 times the filtration. So you still need extra filtration. Look at the GPH (gallons per hour) and that will help, if the filter does not say it, or the box, check online.

Great that you put Oscar and Matilda together! He really needs that extra space and stable water temps and chemestry. I am sure they will warm up to eachother. My guess, in the morning, they will be swimming side by side. Let us know how it works out!

Good Luck!

Filter companies will show what their filter is "rated" for. But they normally rate a filter for tropical fish, that are not very messy fish. Goldfish are VERY messy and need 10 times the filtration. So you still need extra filtration. Look at the GPH (gallons per hour) and that will help, if the filter does not say it, or the box, check online.

Yes, you need filtration for 130 gallons.

Why do you say that Oscar prefers to be by himself? What behavior do you see that make you think that? They don't have to be best buddies to be compatible. Oscar will be a big fish and he needs a big tank. Combining the fish you have seems like a natural and ideal solution, and it does take time to care for multiple large tanks. Why not take the easier path if you can?

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I would let Oscar stay in the tank for a while. He still needs time to get used to it, and if after a week of constantly being in the 65 he doesn't return to his normally happy self, then I would say he probably does enjoy being a bachelor. So let him be in there for a week, monitoring his progress. If he doesn't act happily by the end of the week he can live on his own (:

I would like to know more about Oscar's behavior. If the fish aren't interested in one another, as the OP said, that is a sign of "happiness." Really, she should just be watching for signs that they shouldn't be together, such as aggression or problems feeding, rather than signs that they are "happy."

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I would let Oscar stay in the tank for a while. He still needs time to get used to it, and if after a week of constantly being in the 65 he doesn't return to his normally happy self, then I would say he probably does enjoy being a bachelor. So let him be in there for a week, monitoring his progress. If he doesn't act happily by the end of the week he can live on his own (:

I would like to know more about Oscar's behavior. If the fish aren't interested in one another, as the OP said, that is a sign of "happiness." Really, she should just be watching for signs that they shouldn't be together, such as aggression or problems feeding, rather than signs that they are "happy."

I agree..... WHY would you think that a fish enjoys being a "bachelor" just because he's not constantly pestering Matilda?

The fish is fine here.

However, something here seems odd.....