Please help me out- ANYTHING helps

Hello all!

I am having a very tough time affording my GF latley :cry

If anyone can help me out by donating ANYTHING, i would so appreciate it!

I am need of meds and food exspecially.

:please

Some other things that would really help me out are:

Any water chemicals,

A 20 gallon tank set-up (my comet Oscar is growing out of his 10 gallon really fast)

Any decor,

Any plants,

Filters,

Heaters,

Air pumps,

Salt,

Anything!

I really appreciate anything you can send, even if it's not listed above.

I know there are so many kind people on this forum willing to donate things for the good of other's fishies.

I promise I will find a way to return the favor somehow :)

:thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

my concern is that you are having a difficult time keeping up with the finacial side of your hobby, but your current avatar information offers this:

How many Goldfish:Currently 2, getting 3 more soon

why are you looking at getting another 3 goldfish soon when you are unable to maintain your current load? i understand that things are tough at the moment, but i would recommend against increasing your number of goldfish if you having difficulties providing for the ones that you currently have.

I know what it feels like to be broke. But Stakos brings up a good point. Have you asked your parents for help in maybe buying one off of Craigslist? I hate to say this but you might consider rehoming Oscar if you cannot provide for his needs :(

my concern is that you are having a difficult time keeping up with the finacial side of your hobby, but your current avatar information offers this:

How many Goldfish:Currently 2, getting 3 more soon

why are you looking at getting another 3 goldfish soon when you are unable to maintain your current load? i understand that things are tough at the moment, but i would recommend against increasing your number of goldfish if you having difficulties providing for the ones that you currently have.

hmmmm....

well i am getting 3 more because i have the room for those guys...

Oscar is the only one i need help with:)

I'm going to get a workers permit soon and hopefully i can bring in some dough.

I know what it feels like to be broke. But Stakos brings up a good point. Have you asked your parents for help in maybe buying one off of Craigslist? I hate to say this but you might consider rehoming Oscar if you cannot provide for his needs :(

I could never rehome Oscar :krazy::(

He's my special boy

Christmas is nearly here so ill wait it out to get a 20 gal for Oscar

Didn't you say you were getting a new tank? Why not put oscar with your current fish and go from there.

i think i will just wait until Christmas...my new tank is just a fancies tank only (long story :/ )

I agree with the others. Also, are you the same member who has the busted 10 gallon tank? I'd suggest sticking with one tank and managing it efficiently. Keeping fish is supposed to be relaxing, not stressful. Keep it simple. Good luck :)

I agree with the others. Also, are you the same member who has the busted 10 gallon tank? I'd suggest sticking with one tank and managing it efficiently. Keeping fish is supposed to be relaxing, not stressful. Keep it simple. Good luck :)

and ya, I'm broken 10 gallon girl, LOL

I am sorry things are tuff and we are not trying to be mean we just want what is best for your fish and you :hug It isn't fair for Oscar who will end up being your biggest fish to get stuck in the smallest tank. I think you should try to put Oscar with Matilda the 1 eye moor and things will probably be fine ;) this will also be easier on you since now you only have 1 tank to worry about ;)

More fish will mean more food needed, more water conditioner used, more bacateria suppliment, more filter stuff...and if they get sick, then they will all need meds and salted water and you may have to QT a fish, so you will have to set up another tank with a new filter, seperate filter cleaning brushes...and on and on.

If you are having trouble affording fish now, don't get more!

Mo' fish = Mo' money = Mo' problems.

But yes, I may be able to give you some free food after next weekend....Only if you do not get any new fish!

Please send me a pm.

:D

Edited by Acro

Christmas is 3 months away. He will not be your special boy if he passes away unfortunately :no: Maybe someone with a pond in your area or adequate space for him can hold onto him while you are looking for a better place for him? Then he would have lots of room to grow and friends while his great owner finds him a bigger home!

I would suggest working - you can always work under the table babysitting, mowing lawns, maybe chores from your parents? Instead of waiting for someone to give you something, you can earn it yourself. Then you'll know it's brand new, safe for your fish, and you'll appreciate it more because you earned it. I think re-homing might be an option to look at too if you can't provide for them.

You can also: make some gel food, gelatin is not expensive and hopefully there are veggies in your house and pellets are cheap. Check thrift stores like the goodwill out for tanks, or have your parents check craigslist for something you can afford while you fix your broken tank or just get a new one all together. There are lots of amazing deals on craigslist but be sure to have an adult supervise because it is potentially dangerous too.

You have lots of options, and while I'm sure there are wonderful and giving people here who can help you out, there's also a lot you can do to help yourself in the mean time. I hope this helps!

Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale. You can pick up a tank for very little, and then your Oscar will be living in high style!

We're all broke; it's just the times we live in.

If you have the space for two more fancies, just put your oscar in with the fancy, and cut down on your workload. More fish will require more money and time.

I agree that Oscar should go in your bigger tank. Even 20 gallons won't hold him for long. Put him in there and add some plants to give them some areas to hide. That could help Matilda feel safe.

By getting another tank, you would be making this hobby more work and more expensive. Keep it simple. You have what you need already. :)

I also agree. I would not add any more fish while you can not even afford your current ones.

Cheap food can be found in your fridge. A lot of veggies, microwaved for a minute on a shallow plate with a puddle of water makes excellent food for fish. Cucumbers, zucchini, romaine lettuce, kale, greens, yellow squash, green beans (fresh or frozen, canned only if unsalted), peas, spinach, parsley, bell peppers etc.

And for protein, if you guys have frozen fish fillets at home (the plain kind) you can break a small piece off, microwave it in a little bit of water to cook it thoroughly, and feed that to your fish. Or a little bit of the white of a boiled egg.

The veggies should be the main source of food though :)

But that said, the Omega One small goldfish pellets 3.5oz jar costs around $ 4, and for only two fish it will last you months.

A 5lb box of Morton Canning & Pickling salt costs about $ 2 and will last for a loooooong time.

Decor and plants aren't necessary right now.

Heater is only necessary if the tank is in a room that does not benefit from a furnace in the winter. If the tank is in your room, the tank temperature will be very similar to your room temperature. If it's warm enough for a person, then it is warm enough for goldfish :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I agree with everyone else, you should not get more fish right now if you are having trouble affording the ones you already have. And Oscar needs to be moved into the big tank. If your 10 gallon tank is already leaking now, it's very likely the leak will get worse and you could end up with 10 gallons of water on your floor and a dried up Oscar. :( A leaking tank is not a good thing to ignore!

Sometimes loving something, means being able to let them go when they need it. Things are tough for almost everyone, and it sucks but what the others are saying is exactly right. Oscar won't be happy in a 10 or 20 gallon. He probably won't even be happy in a 30 gallon. Commons/Comets get big. Sometimes nearly a foot long and that is one of the reasons they are better pond fish. It could work out putting him in the bigger tank, but if you won't try you won't know if he can be happy in there and get along with your Matilda. And one of the things about asking for help, is you have to actually try to take the advice people try to give you, or else there isn't anything we can really do for you. That may sound a little insensitive but it is true. I have gotten advice that was unsolicited and could have been viewed as insensitive and even though I didn't really want to take it, I knew they were right and I took it anyways and I haven't been disappointed. You can't lose when you take advice from people who may know more for you. If you want Oscar to be happy, you may want to take some of the advice you have gotten already. :)

And one of the things about asking for help, is you have to actually try to take the advice people try to give you, or else there isn't anything we can really do for you. That may sound a little insensitive but it is true. I have gotten advice that was unsolicited and could have been viewed as insensitive and even though I didn't really want to take it, I knew they were right and I took it anyways and I haven't been disappointed. You can't lose when you take advice from people who may know more for you. If you want Oscar to be happy, you may want to take some of the advice you have gotten already. :)

That was well said.

• Admin

And one of the things about asking for help, is you have to actually try to take the advice people try to give you, or else there isn't anything we can really do for you. That may sound a little insensitive but it is true. I have gotten advice that was unsolicited and could have been viewed as insensitive and even though I didn't really want to take it, I knew they were right and I took it anyways and I haven't been disappointed. You can't lose when you take advice from people who may know more for you. If you want Oscar to be happy, you may want to take some of the advice you have gotten already. :)

That was well said.

I agree... Kokos is here to help but we cant support your hobby. We all have to work hard to keep our pets healthy and happy its call responsibility :) Im sorry your having a hard time, but we all go through this. We do help what we can, but we cant support everyones hobby.... :(

That was well said.

I agree... Kokos is here to help but we cant support your hobby. We all have to work hard to keep our pets healthy and happy its call responsibility :) Im sorry your having a hard time, but we all go through this. We do help what we can, but we cant support everyones hobby.... :(

I know an im sorry:(

I just cannot give Oscar away, he is what got me into this whole hobby in the first place. I'm going to really try and save money and do lots of jobs to get some money

Edited by TheseGoldiesStoleMyHeart

That was well said.

I just cannot give Oscar away, he is what got me into this whole hobby in the first place. I'm going to really try and save money and do lots of jobs to get some money

You don't necessarily need to give him away. You can try to put him in the big tank and get one less fancy. He may not pick on Matilda, and he will probably just swim happily around. I have 2 commons in my 55, and they don't pick on my one eyed telescope. They will be relocated to at least a 60 gallon pond/ aquarium when they get bigger. But you won't know if he can co-exist unless you try. Fish pick on each other when they don't have enough room. 65 gallons is more than enough room to give both fish their space. Just try to put him in there. Keep an eye on their actions, and if he starts picking on the others, take him out and put him back in his aquarium and save up for a 30 gallon or 40 breeder. There isn't anything to lose by putting them together. He may end up being totally happy and not picking on Matilda and then you don't have to save up for another tank, and you can use that money to get them other things they need! Just give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for the idea,

Is one day enough to observe his behavoir?

That was well said.

You don't necessarily need to give him away. You can try to put him in the big tank and get one less fancy. He may not pick on Matilda, and he will probably just swim happily around. I have 2 commons in my 55, and they don't pick on my one eyed telescope. They will be relocated to at least a 60 gallon pond/ aquarium when they get bigger. But you won't know if he can co-exist unless you try. Fish pick on each other when they don't have enough room. 65 gallons is more than enough room to give both fish their space. Just try to put him in there. Keep an eye on their actions, and if he starts picking on the others, take him out and put him back in his aquarium and save up for a 30 gallon or 40 breeder. There isn't anything to lose by putting them together. He may end up being totally happy and not picking on Matilda and then you don't have to save up for another tank, and you can use that money to get them other things they need! Just give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.