Buying bulk plants?

soupmonster

Hello, all! This summer, I have been testing out my first plant... Anubias nana from PetSmart. The plant looks great ever since I added micronutrient supplement, and it even sprouted a few extra leaves. Plus, my goldies aren't shredding up the Marimo moss ball I tossed in there last week. But one little Anubias nana and a moss ball looks super drab in a 40 gallon!!!

I decided to go ahead and order some lights off Amazon, so I can grow plants even in the shady side of the tank. Does anyone know of a good place to buy bulk Anubias online? (or is planting 7 little Anubias at once a bad idea?)

I'm also eyeing this big thing of driftwood for more vertical decor that I can attach my moss/plants to: http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-African-Mopani-Jumbo/dp/B000KH9S8I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

So far, I can't find any driftwood that is as big as this^. I'm also not as thrilled to know about the very strong "tea" tint that comes with the wood. Can anybody shed some light to alternative driftwood suppliers or solutions?

Check this out (;

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103255-incredible-deal-on-anubias-barteri-var-nana/page__p__1293597#entry1293597

Our own member of the month found a wonderful deal on anubias. At the bottom, I think is the seller. Another good plant website is http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/

They have an anubias package. :D

If you boil your wood before you use it, most of the tint will leave it. :) You also might want to consider a nerite snail or pleco to keep your wood "clean." Driftwood can get a little slimy, but my nerite snails keep it clean. I love those little guys -- they are amazing algae eaters!!

Also, another easy plant you can try is java fern. Petsmart sells it in the plant tubes, and it also grows attached to rocks or driftwood. It can add a little variety to your tank. :)

Thanks, Shawnee. Yeah, I've been reading up on the hazards of driftwood, but I think I will try anyways. I'm afraid of getting snails from my local fish stores, since they stock them with fish. I've been browsing craigslist for them, but I haven't had luck yet. :(

I know lots of people love java fern, but I'm not a big fan of grassy-looking plants. I am a round-leaf person. That's why I like anubias so much! Haha.

Edited by soupmonster

I don't consider java fern to be grassy-looking, myself. I have the regular, and I'd like to try the lace.

I have two types of nerites -- zebra and horned. The horned nerites are my favorite. They are smaller -- small enough to climb on plant leaves and eat the algae off of them. I got mine on ebay, and another member got some from ebay with success. :)

Do you mean grassy, as in long and thin? I don't think Java fern is grassy but it's a matter of preference. The regular java fern is more ovular than lace. They get nice and big though. You may enjoy Ludwigia Repens or Ovalis (: Or possibly Bacoba Carolina. They have nice rounded leaves. Also check out Sword plants. Microsword is more grass like, but the larger ones are more like Anubias.

Shawnee - Oh, okay! Yeah, I know the java ferns aren't really "grassy", but I personally don't want to mix in the thin-looking plants with the anubias I will already have in there. Also, how did you qt the nerites? Or do you have a trusty ebay seller you could hook me up with? :P

Lovely- Oooh. I really like the ludwigias. What's the difference between the two? They look the same to me.

Thank you so much!

Now on to shop for driftwood for all those anubias. :D

If you are still looking for driftwood, I have bought a nice piece here too. http://stores.ebay.com/cumberlandriverdriftwood

The price is pretty good, and the quality of the wood was great. I had to soak it in water for a few weeks to get it to sink, but everything is fine. :)

I do see that they only have less than half as much "in store" compared to when I bought mine. Their pieces of wood sell quickly!

Mine was only $ 29 and free shipping. It was 18x12x10 in size. Pretty good deal!

I totally agree with everything already said! Boil the driftwood for a looong time. I boiled my big piece for 6 hours in a big canning pot and then soaked it in water for a few days and kept changing it everytime there was color. It has never made my water change color. I also have 2 plecos who keep the driftwood free of slime

Another question -- would it be impossible to have floating plants with a HOB filter? My father's workplace has a 70+ gal common goldfish tank with floating plants, which multiply like crazy. But it runs on a canister filter, haha.

Fang and Haley- Whoa. I can see myself boiling for a few hours, but soaking for weeks? I don't know if I have the resources for that. But darn... the price and dimensions of the wood is so tempting!

Edited by soupmonster

Another question -- would it be impossible to have floating plants with a HOB filter? My father's workplace has a 70+ gal common goldfish tank with floating plants, which multiply like crazy. But it runs on a canister filter, haha.

(Is it impossible to edit previous posts? Or am I doing it wrong?)

You can only edit within about 5 minutes or so :)

It is not impossible. I have seen people make safety "rings" around their HOB filter outlets to keep floating plants from literally going under in the current. All you need to do is make a loop out of an appropriately sized piece of airline tubing and a check valve, a couple aquarium safe suction cups and some string. Tie the loop with the string to the suction cups and hold the loop in place with them, so the filter outlet splashes inside the loop. This way it keeps most of the floating plants from being pushed under :)

(I hope my description is understandable. I am a terrible teacher :lol )

I bought horned nerites from livekoiforsalecom on ebay. I was impressed at how quickly they arrived and how active they were. I also got a zebra nerite from the lfs, and it's doing great. The excellent standard advice is to QT anything before it goes into your tank. However, I didn't QT mine.

With nerites, a little goes a long way!! Don't get many or they could starve! You could have one zebra or one or two horned nerites in 40 gallons.

Fang - Thanks for clarifying the editing option for me. Wow, I think I will hold off on the idea of floating plants for now. :o

Shawnee- Thanks for sharing. I guess I will just stick to CL or LFS for nerites, since I only need one or two. Did you get your driftwood from online? *hopeful*

Is there a guide floating around here somewhere for nerite qt?

Edited by soupmonster