Ugh...ich!

tnorandagal

Try to find Morton's canning and pickling salt. This salt is finer than aquarium salt and 28 teaspoons of aquarium salt is equal to about 21 teaspoons of morton's weighed out.

Hello, not trying to hijack this thread! But I just read this and I always use 1tsp per gallon of the pickling salt, is this not correct? I thought in all the threads I read it was 1tsp per gallon? Or is it that you use more of the aquarium salt then 1tsp per g?

You know I think we have honestly been a bit lax about stating this difference, probably primarily for ease of calculations. But if you look at this article on salt http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-on-the-use-of-salt/ you'll see that if you're using a finer grained salt the technical measurement is indeed 3/4 tsp rather than 1 full tsp. It is not a really big deal, but is certainly worth noting, and something we should probably be more conscientious about in the future!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now at 0.2% salt. Chocolate oranda seems to be developing a secondary infection, as there is a cloudy patch on the caudal fin, anal fin, and over the eye.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

could you please post a picture or video of this?

What are your current water parameters, including Ph?

I will post a picture as soon as I am able. :) Params were 0, 0, 5 with a pH of 7.2 as of 3am. Will retest tonight when I get the photo of the patches. It seems to be consistant with a fungal infection from what I read online.

fungal infections are pretty rare in goldfish, so not the first thing we would jump to in terms of diagnosis. Pics will definitely help :)

Please keep an eye on whether the patches are becoming larger/spreading.

would you mind checking your tap Ph as well?

Sorry, been real busy. Trying to trouble shoot my camera. It seems like the battery is kaput. The patches have gone away, as have all of the visible ich spots. However, there is a new symptom.. slight pineconing from the top view, as well as a couple of missing scales. I really just don't know what happened.. I've been real up on all my maintenance.

Sorry, been real busy. Trying to trouble shoot my camera. It seems like the battery is kaput. The patches have gone away, as have all of the visible ich spots. However, there is a new symptom.. slight pineconing from the top view, as well as a couple of missing scales. I really just don't know what happened.. I've been real up on all my maintenance.

Sometimes these things happen, because the fish had been carrying this with them from the start.

Try to upload photos please (especially top view) of the pineconing, if you can. Also, post your parameters again.

The extent of the pineconing and the fact that it is occurring on both sides indicates dropsy.

You are going to need to order metromeds (MMs) from goldfishconnection

You will need to feed a probiotic food following the meds, so you can either get the jumpstart with the MMs or make your own gel food with probiotics.

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=9&catId=1

Until you get the MMs I would like you to do a 100% water change (or two back to back 80-90% changes) to get all the salt out of the tank. Then dose the tank with epsom salt. Dosage is 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons. You can get this at any drug store, just make sure there are no perfumes/soaps/additives etc. Just magnesium sulfate.

Do you have a kitchen scale available to you to weigh your fish?

Just placed my order for MetroMeds and Jump Start. Heading off to the store in a bit to get the epsom salt for the water change. Is there any chance of recovery for my poor fella? And no, no kitchen scale unfortunately.

Edited by tnorandagal

Just placed my order for MetroMeds and Jump Start. Heading off to the store in a bit to get the epsom salt for the water change. Is there any chance of recovery for my poor fella? And no, no kitchen scale unfortunately.

Great :) goldfishconnection typically ships pretty fast so I would guess you'll get the meds by wed/thurs.

There have been many cases of successful treatment of dropsy here. If we caught it soon enough he should recover well with the MMs. However, once a fish has had dropsy they tend to be more prone to dropsy again in the future, so keeping tank conditions good and stressors minimal will be important.

Do you have a heater for the tank?

That's okay if you don't have a scale, we can estimate the amount to feed him based on his size.

Will do. They are eating ravenously as of now. It's actually kind of weird, because for the past couple of days the dropsied oranda has been bottom sitting...and now all of the sudden his activity has increased markedly and is swimming normally. :blink:

Will do. They are eating ravenously as of now. It's actually kind of weird, because for the past couple of days the dropsied oranda has been bottom sitting...and now all of the sudden his activity has increased markedly and is swimming normally. :blink:

I apologize for not remembering that he was still in the main tank. Please do not treat the main tank with epsom. You will need to QT him in a separate tank to treat with the epsom and also for the duration of MM treatment (we do not want to treat your other fish)

if you'd like you can move the pleco back into the main tank (once the salt is gone) and then move the sick oranda to the QT tank after you sterilize it. Please also move the heater to the QT tank for him.

QT procedures began. Am happy to report that the scales are a lot flatter than they were yesterday. Will post an updated topview pic tomorrow after work. They are still a touch raised, but doing a LOT more better after the reduction in salt.