Wee bit of a bump

bodoba

Well the fish store was closed by the time I got to it and GOOD THING! I went home and tested my water and I had a wee bit of a cycle bump. Ammonia was at 0.5ppm!

Finally bought a thermometer and the water is sitting at 50F which yes is cold but these are pond fish kept in the basement, the water temp should rise to 60 over the winter as we turn on the furnace more. The plants get some light but obviously not enough to metabolize more ammonia.

Water changes are every 4 days. I remove till about half of the pond pump is showing. So maybe 2-3inches of water left and then refill.

Right now I don't have a siphon since you can't siphon floor ground to floor ground. I do it with a empty container and try to 'catch' the debris as it swirls. I need to buy a utility pump, I don't have a strong enough drill to work my drill pump.

Solutions: get a utility pump to help siphon the debris, redistribute fish so some are in the wading pool (currently all 5 are in the preformed pond), get stronger light on a timer to keep the plants going

Solutions I don't know how to do: increase temperature safely,

As for the nitrate and nitrite, it was by pure fluke I found this one tiny api ammonia drops in wally world that wasn't expired. I am waiting until my lfs switches to api solely and there will be drops available to me again.

The wading pool need all the debris siphoned out, they have the majority of the plants and therefore the majority of the dirt. The pump need more sponges for biomedia. I expect there may be a cycle bump with that one too but since I'm hauling dirty water up the basement stairs and then outside to dump and I'm filling up water upstairs and hauling it downstairs to fill I'm only doing one pond at a time.

also wisdom teeth are coming out in 2 wks and cost $1000 for me so don't have money to purchase all this extra stuff for right now

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I wanted to get this all down in writing as it was getting confusing in my head :krazy:

I don't know your set up, but what about investing in a water changer? If you had to you could attach it to the end of a hose and turn the hose on full blast for suction. Sorry, I'm probably not much of a help :(

Edited by MexiMike83

At that temp, I'm not sure that your beneficial bacteria are even functioning at all, which would explain why you are seeing ammonia accumulation.

I'm guessing that they are not being fed. If that's the case, I would just use a combo of Prime and WCs to see how things go.

What is your pH?

Will have to check pH when I can buy the drops. I had that thought as I was heading for bed last night that I don't even have a cycle with that temp.

What is a safe way to raise the temp. Heaters are not meant for heating at that range...

If the next step is pH I will get that test next and focus on keeping ammonia at 0 cause that's never a bad thing.

ETA: Should read more thoroughly. They get fed every day once a day except on water change day. Repashy and not a lot, 1-2 ice cubes for the 5 of them. They don't seem to be active enough for peas or veggies.

Edited by bodoba

Is there a way you can have the furnace run only in the basement? I know some furnace systems you can shut the valves to each room unit off (my old furnace was like that) so you could save money leaving certain rooms unheated.

I am wondering about the heaters though. I would get a cheap, 50 watt plastic heater (I would be worried about the glass and the temperature difference), set it on the lowest temperature possible.

That way, this one small heater will take quite a while to warm the entire water volume to the desired temperature. Make sure it is in an area of stead water flow so it will heat the pond evenly

Is there a way you can have the furnace run only in the basement? I know some furnace systems you can shut the valves to each room unit off (my old furnace was like that) so you could save money leaving certain rooms unheated.

I am wondering about the heaters though. I would get a cheap, 50 watt plastic heater (I would be worried about the glass and the temperature difference), set it on the lowest temperature possible.

That way, this one small heater will take quite a while to warm the entire water volume to the desired temperature. Make sure it is in an area of steady water flow so it will heat the pond evenly.

plastic 50 watt heater, I will attempt to get this. As I was thinking about this I figured maybe I am overfeeding them and should change to an every other day feeding. There is still duckweed and algae from the pond in there for them to eat and the water in the basement attracts the spiders so they have a steady supply of protein.

The piping in this house is probably from the 60s and the basement isn't finished or insulated. I don't think there is any vents to the basement but I will check. Thanks for helping me figure this out, semi dormant pond stasis is hard to correct and figure out. There's lost of info on wintering your fish but not much for converting into an active stasis.

Just a shot in the dark here, but what about heating lamps or maybe those propane ones that are used outside of clubs (you would have to have some ventilation, but this might be an option to heat your basement)? Only thing is it would be hard to regulate temperature. I don't know :idont. I'm interested in what you figure out.

Edited by MexiMike83

A little update. I haven't been to the city so I haven't gotten a pH test kit yet (no kokostick please alex :o ) but I've been checking my ammonia daily. I've changed to twice a week feedings and my ammonia has been at zero the passed 6 days (will change it tomorrow regardless)

I HAVE added 2 100 watt light bulbs (the old kind not CFL's) and have them on for 8 hrs a day. They have warmed up my water to 62F. I have seen new growth on all my plants with this minor change so I'm presuming that's where the ammonia is going.

I am worried about the plants in the wading pool with no fish in it. I plan on moving monster over, or if my wisdom teeth procedure goes really bad I may get a new fish for my 10 gal QT.

Regardless of the wisdom teeth (the next time I'm in the city) I will be getting at minimum a pH test kit and a nitrate test kit since I know the store has them in api drops. I'm not too confident about them having the nitrite one or the GH/KH testers.

I have pH test finally. They aren't drops they api 5 in 1 test strips, I am waiting until these are finished and then I'm ordering a master kit whether they are at the lps or not.

A day after the water changes my params were

Ammonia 0 (used with the drops)

Nitrate and Nitrite 0 pH between 7.0 and 7.5

kH was between 40 and 80 BUT

GH was the darkest it could be and the highest count was 180.

From what I know these is nothing to worry about. My lighting routine and increased heat from the furnace has my temp fluxuating between 62 to 68F

Current changes: 4 babies in the preformed pond (2 commons, 1 watonai, 1 pearlescale) 1 monster in wading pool (large fantail) I also added some more sponges and a second pump to the wading pool and plan on making a new 10 gal bog filter.