Lionhead or Ranchu?

yafashelli

It's a bit hard to say since he is still so tiny. His back seems a bit too straight for what is typical for ranchus. But he could be a ranchu with "non ideal tail tuck".

Feed him well and fatten him up, that will help being able to tell :)

Congratulations on the adorable addition though!! :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

He has a straight back like lionheads typically do, but with both breeds there are always chances of spinal deformities so he could be from a ranchu line and just look more like a lionhead because his spine is bent. The way to tell them apart nowadays seems to the be the back/tail tuck and the wen. Cute little fish ^.^

Edited by GreenTea

This is the fish that I think sneaks out of the tank at night, and takes bites out of the refrigerator. Lol! He eats more than my two big guys combined! :flex:

I have a missing flip flop, so if I see strings of pink glitter hanging out of a tiny orange heiny, I'll know exactly what happened...

• Admin

I would have to lean more to a lion/chu. Not much at all of a tail tuck Ranchus need a 90* tail tuck and lion heads typically have alot of wen. So this guy looks to be a cross :)

I would say lionchu also............not that I know~~~but I had a lionhead once and he looked a lot like this one, (and besides that is what Helen said).................................... :rofl

but this I do know...........it sure is CUTE !!............... ;)

lol! You guys are too funny. He's about an inch long now, and he's nice and fat. When I first picked him out, he was about 1/2"-3/4" long, in body length. Looks like he unhinged his jaw, and swallowed a grape whole. Or maybe it was a whole bag of Pro Gold... Lol!

I'll have to post a new picture, but the ones that I have so far, aren't clear. Silly, fickle weather.