Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

Am I a fantail or a ryukin?

I've been sitting near the tank alot this week feeling like I'm continually feeding the M&M meds and I started noticing that my fantail kind of looks like he has developed a hump on his back.

What do you guys think?

DSC01415_zps904f489f.jpg

Here is another:

DSC01409_zpsbded21dc.jpg

From the pics I am see a little hump I am thinking a Ryukin. ;)

Do they develop the hump later or are they born with it? I have had him since last February, so 7 months and I would guess he could have been 4-6mo when I got him because he was a couple inches long then. In earlier photos he definitely doesn't have it.

Do they develop the hump later or are they born with it? I have had him since last February, so 7 months and I would guess he could have been 4-6mo when I got him because he was a couple inches long then. In earlier photos he definitely doesn't have it.

From what I understand from Stakos and other members' posts - they can start with a bit of a hump, but more frequently it develops later. It gets larger as they grow, much like a wen. It grows over time.

A high protien diet really helps with ryukins humps development along with wens and nice big tummies :rofl So the progold maybe helped to bring that out ;)

My Cal, when we first got him, didn't have a hump at all. We've had him since May, and now he's tripled in size, and has started to really shape up. I started noticing more of a hump shape only a month ago, and he's a stunner now. :)

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't at least some ryukin in your guy. :)

Thanks everyone for your input! They sold him to me at petsmart as a fantail last winter.

I was online looking at fish wondering what kind of fish I should get for my 3rd fish since I had a fantail and an oranda and I was thinking hmmm, maybe a ryukin but then I started thinking hey, these guys kind of look like my guy :lol3

Now what should I get??? I wanted to have 3 varieties maybe.

A high protien diet really helps with ryukins humps development along with wens and nice big tummies :rofl So the progold maybe helped to bring that out ;)

It may have made him floaty but I can't deny it has made him grow! He has grown at least an inch a month for the past few months. He's now about 6inches long.

I didn't see a video but you have cute fish. Very pretty.

Hmm I do like black moors. :)

But I was also looking at those veiltails on raingardens website and I sure love their long flowing tails. I want to add a 3rd fish to my tank but it seems like stuff keeps happening that makes me wait. I just finished treating them with 4 rounds of prazi. I treated my ryu with metro meds because he had some kind of stomach ailment. He is better now but my tank has a slight cycle bump. About the 4th day I start seeing some nitrites, not high but they are there so I end up having to do a WC before the end of the week. I am afraid if I add one more before the cycle finishes again then I will mess up the tank. I think I rinse my filters too much, oops. I am going to try and refrain this week and only do it once instead of twice. Once I can get to changing the water once a week then I will get another GF to QT.