Sign in to follow this  
Trimom

new tank with sand bottom mess - advice

I just set up a 55 gallon tank with a very thin layer of sand (no fish yet). I set up a HOB and a canister filter, maybe about an hour after I filed the tank. The water is cloudy and there are tiny sand particles floating around everywhere. I'm wondering "what have I done?!" Is this going to dissipate? It doesn't seem like the particles are settling or being filtered out, just sort of swirling around. I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!!!

With my experience with sand, if not washed properly, the particles will take about a week to clear up. Check your filter regularly though incase the sand clogs it during this week. Just scoop any sand blockages out :)

I have sand in my tank and actually just added it in another tank today and it clears in about 30mins and then I put my fish right in. I do turn off my filters though during this process to makes sure not a lot gets sucked up I also keep the filter heads above about 4-5inches away from the sand. if they are closer to the sand I then add filter floss around the intake to protect my filter. ;)

I'm curious as to what kind of sand you used? Jess brings up a good point, did you wash the sand? If not, I would do another large water change. After water changes or disturbing the sand, leave your filter off for at least 20 minutes so that the sand can settle. I also keep my intakes high so they don't suck up everything.

Edit: Sniped :rofl

Edited by MexiMike83

Thank you so much. It did finally settle after I shut the filters off. When I turned them back on, sand blem out of them. I had to shut them off and rinse the filters out. I used Caribsea supernaturals sand. I forgot the name of the color, but it is beige. I used a 20 pound bag for the 55 gallon tank, and just put a thin layer. I rinsed it but I don't think I did a good job. I think the intakes are about 5 inches off the bottom. Is that enough? Can I post pictures here? I am planning on adding the ammonia tomorrow and getting the fishless cycle going.

I think we have the same sand since I used the super naturals too moonlight is what it is called and I actually didn't rinse mine and everything was fine :)

Did you use the package of clarifier that came with the sand? I used hardware store sand in my tank, and it just wouldn't settle, so I bought a small bottle of clarifier. It did the trick, and I've had no problems since.

That brand does come with a clarifier but it doesn't do much imo. It should clear up within a few days! Mine was clear within 48 hours and I didn't rinse before hand.