Sign in to follow this  
TheseGoldiesStoleMyHeart

New Baby Oranda lots of missing scales and gash/cut :(

Hello!

I just got a baby Oranda today from Petsmart (the one i wanted so badly!)

He is sooo sweet and very friendly but he has some patches of missing scales and a gash/cut on his right side.

He was in a 7 gallon tank with 20 other GF (not my tank, Petsmart's)

Someone has my camera for the day so i cant post a pic or video yet.

I am going to start salting 0.1% tomorrow along with daily water changes (50%)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)5ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)0ppm
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)8.2
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master kit (drops)
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? whisper 10i
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 73 degrees
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Because i am QTing, everyday or every other day and 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Didn't change water yet. He just got home an hour ago
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons, since yesterday, but its cycled because i seeded it entirely.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish 2 inches including tail
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? every night, omega one sinking pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? just him today
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no but im going to start salt tomorrow
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? He has many scaleless patches and he has one big gas on his right side right behind his gills.Its a healing cut of some sort.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? none.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. none.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. sorry i dont have my camera right now:( ill get some pics tomorrow or later

Edited by TheseGoldiesStoleMyHeart

Poor little guy! I don't have a lot of experience, but wish you the best of luck in getting him all healed up and healthy. Can't wait to see pics!

Do you have Prazi yet? For now, I would add salt at 1 tsp per gallon and start the 4-6 rounds of Prazi if you have it. Additionally, if you have a heater I would turn it up to the tune of 80 degrees F.

Edited by MexiMike83

Do you have Prazi yet? For now, I would add salt at 1 tsp per gallon and start the 4-6 rounds of Prazi if you have it. Additionally, if you have a heater I would turn it up to the tune of 80 degrees F.

What is Prazi?

Where do i get it?

And why such a high temp.?

Poor little guy! I don't have a lot of experience, but wish you the best of luck in getting him all healed up and healthy. Can't wait to see pics!

thank you:)

I'll get some up soon :)

Prazi is short for praziquantel-a medication used for treating parasitic flukes (something that almost all goldfish have initially). You can order Prazi pro from Amazon. I got mine from a more local pet store type place (not petsmart or petco). The higher temperature is for metabolism purposes, the higher the temp, the more efficient their immune system can be because they're cold blooded. The salt is to prevent the possibility of a secondary infection.

Edited by MexiMike83

Prazi is short for praziquantel-a medication used for treating parasitic flukes (something that almost all goldfish have initially). You can order Prazi pro from Amazon. I got mine from a more local pet store type place (not petsmart or petco). The higher temperature is for metabolism purposes, the higher the temp, the more efficient their immune system can be because they're cold blooded. The salt is to prevent the possibility of a secondary infection.

Thank you:)

I sadly do not have a heater, but i do have salt.

i hope i can order Prazi.

here's a link to the prazipro. Let us know if you are going to be able to order it or not :)

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B0006JLPC2

Thank you for the link:)

I will ask my mom to order it. Should i get the super fast shipping?

you'll be okay without the heater :) just add the salt for now.

I just looked and I actually have an extra bottle of prazi that I could send you for free if you can't order it. You would just need to get permission from your parents to give out your address for me to send it to you. If they need to talk to me over the phone or through email I am happy to do that. You can PM me if you want to do this :)

You're awesome Tithra :)

:blush:

I just looked and I actually have an extra bottle of prazi that I could send you for free if you can't order it. You would just need to get permission from your parents to give out your address for me to send it to you. If they need to talk to me over the phone or through email I am happy to do that. You can PM me if you want to do this :)

Thank you so much! :wub: I am so grateful Jess!

Yes you are indeed awesome:)

I will talk to my mother when she gets home, I'm sure she will say yes

also, this may be a silly question but how do you PM someone?

You click on their profile name - so you would click Tithra and on her profile page hit the button that says "Send message" and then just type out your message.

I think you need a 100 posts hon.

:bingo:

I think you need a 100 posts hon.

ohhh ok well im not far from that!

You click on their profile name - so you would click Tithra and on her profile page hit the button that says "Send message" and then just type out your message.

:thumb:

post number 95 :clapping::nana

almost there!

Dont do post count for the sake of it, i will take off :o

Go in the goldfish photo thread and start commenting how beautiful everyones fish is ;) That is a commenting boosting help :D

almost there!

Dont do post count for the sake of it, i will take off :o

sorry koko :o

:cry1

i will go tell everyone there fishies are beautiful:D

Go in the goldfish photo thread and start commenting how beautiful everyones fish is ;) That is a commenting boosting help :D

Thank you for the great idea:D

Update on my baby.

He will normally swim around then he will start swimming really really fast and he will just spazz!

He is concerning me:(

He'll be acing normal then all of a sudden he swims to the other side of the tank really fast and speeds up and down the tank wall :unsure:

Keep the tank dark since he is going to need time to adjust to all the changes ;)

Edited by MissColonel

Keep the tank dark since he is going to need time to adjust to all the changes ;)

yes, keep the tank dark and let him adjust a few days :) new fish can be a little skittish and need time to settle.