using additives to speed up or "kick start" a cycle...

redgold54

I really think it's hit and miss with this sort of stuff. So much depends on how the product was made, and how it was shipped (Temperature control etc.). I have used products in the store to "boost" my cycle but I'm not so sure it really did anything other than take my money.

I really think it's hit and miss with this sort of stuff. So much depends on how the product was made, and how it was shipped (Temperature control etc.). I have used products in the store to "boost" my cycle but I'm not so sure it really did anything other than take my money.

hmmm interesting. Is there a possibility for it to 'ruin' the cycle? in the sense that I would have to start all over again.

• Admin

What they really do is help with cycle bumps... They dont really work on getting a fresh tank cycled, there just isnt enough BB's (live ) in it to work right, but if your cycle is slightly crashed you can use it to bring it back to normal :)

When you use these to try to kickstart the cycle, do NOT do the water changes as the bottle instructions say. The bacteria from the supplement will not establish in the filter media that quickly, and by changing the water as instructed on the bottle, you will simply remove the majority of the product.

Instead just go with the fishless cycle instructions as advised on this site, and add the bacterial supplement in addition. :)