Sign in to follow this  
TheseGoldiesStoleMyHeart

QT tomorrow for the first time! HELP PLEASE

Hello!

:thanks for stopping by here!

i need some instructions :P

This evening i am going to purchase a QT tank, filter, hood etc.

Tomorrow i will be getting 3 new fishies! I'm so excited!

So i have a few questions :hummm :

1) How should i set up my QT tank? I'm planning on taking filter media and gravel from one of my tanks to put in the QT tank to do an instant cycle.

2)How do i do the whole salt treatment thing? I am going to get some Morton canning salt.

3)What is flukes?

4)I'm going to be QTing 3 GF at once (very small babies, most likely less than 2 inches. They will be in the QT tank which is 10 gallons (long) for 2-4 weeks.

:gfish::fishtank:thumbup2:

THNAK YOU FOR HELPING !!! :D

A ten gallon QT tank with an airstone should suffice, I would personally skip the gravel because it just makes the frequent water changes that much harder. You don't have to worry about a cycle in a QT tank because you are providing 100% water changes a day or more (since you will have 3 in there)

There is a link in my sig about salt and I believe dnalex has one as well if he stops by.

Flukes are internal parasites that abound in almost all goldfish. They are treated with either prazipro (a brand name of praziquantel) or generic praziquantel. There is a treatment regimen and I highly suggest you start up a D&D thread to help keep track of your QT process.

You will need to test your ammonia several times a day as any amount of ammonia will cause medications to not work properly and will react with the salt. Be prepared to do more than one water change a day and have lots of prime on hand or whatever water conditioner you have.

Having all the necessary water testing equipment will also help you keep track of any issues with your water you need to address.

What is your main tank? Is there room for 3 more fish there?

Edit: I'm a dyslexic dysmorph

Edited by bodoba

Bodoba hit the head on the dot ;)

To add I would recommend a 20gallon so then after QT Oscar can have a appropriate sized home too ;) since 20gallons are not that much of a price difference.

For salt, you want to do 1 TEAspoon for every gallon. Since it is 10 gallons, you want to do about 9 teaspoons, or 3 tablespoons. Like stated above, you don't need to add gravel. If you can spring for it a 20 would be great for their QT but it isn't required but you might as well anyways since your other tank is leaking. You just need to keep up with water changes and remember to add the salt you took out with a water change back in. You can find prazi at some good LFS or order it online. And if you notice anything funky going on with them, don't hesitate to post in D&D. Good luck with the QT! (;

A ten gallon QT tank with an airstone should suffice, I would personally skip the gravel because it just makes the frequent water changes that much harder. You don't have to worry about a cycle in a QT tank because you are providing 100% water changes a day or more (since you will have 3 in there)

There is a link in my sig about salt and I believe dnalex has one as well if he stops by.

Flukes are internal parasites that abound in almost all goldfish. They are treated with either prazipro (a brand name of praziquantel) or generic praziquantel. There is a treatment regimen and I highly suggest you start up a D&D thread to help keep track of your QT process.

You will need to test your ammonia several times a day as any amount of ammonia will cause medications to not work properly and will react with the salt. Be prepared to do more than one water change a day and have lots of prime on hand or whatever water conditioner you have.

Having all the necessary water testing equipment will also help you keep track of any issues with your water you need to address.

What is your main tank? Is there room for 3 more fish there?

Edit: I'm a dyslexic dysmorph

thank you :happydance

yes i have room for 3 more fish, i have a 65 gallon with one 3 inch moor already in there:)

i will be at school so i will only be able to change/test the water once a day.

100% water change is so much!

why so large?

Can i do a 50% pwc?

I will have a filter in the tank

You need to do 100% water changes to keep the ammonia down. Also will their be a filter on this tank already cycled if not you will need to do the 100% water changes specially with 3 goldies ;)

Bodoba hit the head on the dot ;)

To add I would recommend a 20gallon so then after QT Oscar can have a appropriate sized home too ;) since 20gallons are not that much of a price difference.

Sadly, the price is double at all the pet stores near me :no: ($70)

and the dollar per gallon sale is not happening at my petco :idont

For salt, you want to do 1 TEAspoon for every gallon. Since it is 10 gallons, you want to do about 9 teaspoons, or 3 tablespoons. Like stated above, you don't need to add gravel. If you can spring for it a 20 would be great for their QT but it isn't required but you might as well anyways since your other tank is leaking. You just need to keep up with water changes and remember to add the salt you took out with a water change back in. You can find prazi at some good LFS or order it online. And if you notice anything funky going on with them, don't hesitate to post in D&D. Good luck with the QT! (;

although i am still puzzled on why i need to do HUGE water changes everyday if it will be cycled :idont

You need to do 100% water changes to keep the ammonia down. Also will their be a filter on this tank already cycled if not you will need to do the 100% water changes specially with 3 goldies ;)

so if its a cycled filter i DONT have to do the 100% water change everyday?

How is going to be cycled are you using media from your other filter?

although i am still puzzled on why i need to do HUGE water changes everyday if it will be cycled :idont

Because the bioload in a 10 gallon with 3 goldfish will be too high, and the bacteria won't get all of it out quick enough so you will end up with more ammonia than your goldfish can handle, and it is harder to start a new cycle with just water from the tank, seeing as how you will have to be changing it and unless your filter gets enough of the bacteria on it you may not even get a cycle (unless you let it run for a little while before adding fish). You can do back to back 80-90% water changes, and if it cycles and depending on the bioload you may be able to get away with changing less water, but you may have to do 100% changes anyways. In your 65, you won't need to do 100% water changes, but you will have to do 20-50% weekly. We can help you figure that out when the fish go in and you test your water to see how your cycle is handling the new fish. (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

yes i would be using the filter from my other tank

The only thing I am weary is of this is you risk getting a salt creep and prazi last in the tank for 3 days and if you do daily WC of 50% the prazi scedule could get a little tricky is all ;) Is there another filter on that tank?

The only thing I am weary is of this is you risk getting a salt creep and prazi last in the tank for 3 days and if you do daily WC of 50% the prazi scedule could get a little tricky is all ;) Is there another filter on that tank?

yes oscar has a filter on his tank (brand new one) and my QT also has one (hand me down thank you Oscar :clapping: )

I am only doing salt, no prazi.

i will post an entry on my blog now.

yes oscar has a filter on his tank (brand new one) and my QT also has one (hand me down thank you Oscar :clapping: )

When you mean brand new filter is everything new even the cartridge or media? Sorry for all the questions just I want to make sure that tank is cycled otherwise you need to do daily water changes on it til it cycles :) Do you have a test kit?

When you mean brand new filter is everything new even the cartridge or media? Sorry for all the questions just I want to make sure that tank is cycled otherwise you need to do daily water changes on it til it cycles :) Do you have a test kit?

No no!

Please don't be sorry, i appreciate your help so much! :D

Silly me, I wasn't clear about what i meant :wall

By brand new i didn't mean the whole filter. I just changed the cartridge.

I let the normal cartridge run onto the new one for a few hours (if that makes any sense) then i put the normal one into the QT filter and left the new one in Oscar's tank :)

That is awesome you know about this :D but it will take about 2weeks for bb to grow the new media so only a few hours inst long enough for and bb to hold. l would recomend testing his water daily along with the qt tank incase of a cycle bump ;). Also if you have a cycle bump ammonia and salt is a very bad mix so you will deffinately wanna watch the water readings daily durning qt ;)

Edited by MissColonel

That is awesome you know about this :D but it will take about 2weeks for bb to grow the new media so only a few hours inst long enough for and bb to hold. l would recomend testing his water daily along with the qt tank incase of a cycle bump ;). Also if you have a cycle bump ammonia and salt is a very bad mix so you will deffinately wanna watch the water readings daily durning qt ;)

Ok, thanks:)

Also, i know i already asked this but how exactly do i do the salt thing? No prazi. Just salt please.

My API salt says "Add 1 rounded TABLEspoon for every 5 gallons or 1/2 rounded teaspoon per gallon"

How often should i do this?

And since my QT tank is instanly cycled, how often do i have to do water changes?

Sorry if i already asked this i just want to confirm:)

Also, i know i already asked this but how exactly do i do the salt thing? No prazi. Just salt please.

My API salt says "Add 1 rounded TABLEspoon for every 5 gallons or 1/2 rounded teaspoon per gallon"

And since my QT tank is instanly cycled, how often do i have to do water changes?

It is 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon. Those instructions only gives you about 6 teaspoons in your 10 gallon, which isn't really enough for the fish. It would be easier to add just 3 tablespoons. Of course, API salt might be different than mortons canning salt but I don't think so.

You will want to put back however much salt you took out. So a 50% change would need 4.5-5 teaspoons of salt. But to cycle your QT you are going to want to run the QT with the seeded media for about 2 weeks to cycle, and until it's cycled you won't need to put salt (; I don't know how much water you will have to change because my QT isn't cycled so someone else can answer that for you (:

It is 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon. Those instructions only gives you about 6 teaspoons in your 10 gallon, which isn't really enough for the fish. It would be easier to add just 3 tablespoons. Of course, API salt might be different than mortons canning salt but I don't think so.

You will want to put back however much salt you took out. So a 50% change would need 4.5-5 teaspoons of salt. But to cycle your QT you are going to want to run the QT with the seeded media for about 2 weeks to cycle, and until it's cycled you won't need to put salt (; I don't know how much water you will have to change because my QT isn't cycled so someone else can answer that for you (:

the API salt is very large and not like table salt....

but isnt it an instant cycle if i added the gravel and filter from my main tank??

That is awesome you know about this but it will take about 2weeks for bb to grow the new media so only a few hours inst long enough for and bb to hold. l would recomend testing his water daily along with the qt tank incase of a cycle bump . Also if you have a cycle bump ammonia and salt is a very bad mix so you will deffinately wanna watch the water readings daily durning qt

but isnt it an instant cycle if i added the gravel and filter from my main tank??

Seed your Qt filter with cycled media from the main tank. Then test the water daily for at least the first week and do water changes as necessary (the more the better in QT). I personally find that I get a pretty much instant cycle with a seeded QT filter, but I also have a stable established cycle and I keep lots of extra media that I can move over.

Each system is a little different so it's just a good idea to keep a close eye on your QT water quality :) also, skip the gravel. It's a good idea to leave a QT bare.

That is awesome you know about this but it will take about 2weeks for bb to grow the new media so only a few hours inst long enough for and bb to hold. l would recomend testing his water daily along with the qt tank incase of a cycle bump . Also if you have a cycle bump ammonia and salt is a very bad mix so you will deffinately wanna watch the water readings daily durning qt

Seed your Qt filter with cycled media from the main tank. Then test the water daily for at least the first week and do water changes as necessary (the more the better in QT). I personally find that I get a pretty much instant cycle with a seeded QT filter, but I also have a stable established cycle and I keep lots of extra media that I can move over.

Each system is a little different so it's just a good idea to keep a close eye on your QT water quality :) also, skip the gravel. It's a good idea to leave a QT bare.

Thank you :)

I only added gravel so i had more BB...can i keep some in?

Yes i seeded it and its ready to go (lets just hope that Mr. Baby BIg Wen is still at the pet store!)

Also, if i do 50% water changes everyday, i add half the salt dose, right?

Thanks

Why aren't you doing prazi as well as salt? Both are very important.

No I would keep it bare bottom to make sure no food is being spit out or any funny looking poo will be easier to find ;) QT in my opion should always be barebottom ;) and for .1% salt is 1 TEAspoon every gallon. It doesn't matter if it is Aquarium salt or Mortons canning salt it is 1teaspoon for every gallon just make sure it is well dissolved before adding to the tank ;)

No I would keep it bare bottom to make sure no food is being spit out or any funny looking poo will be easier to find ;) QT in my opion should always be barebottom ;) and for .1% salt is 1 TEAspoon every gallon. It doesn't matter if it is Aquarium salt or Mortons canning salt it is 1teaspoon for every gallon just make sure it is well dissolved before adding to the tank ;)