Red spot on fish

fantailfan1

Great news! That is definitely cause to be happy about.

Does he have any more "pimples?"

Also, have you seen him poop? I would like to know what his poop looks like, if you happen to see it.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does not have any spots today. I believe I saw 2 tiny ones either yesterday or the day before but did not mention them as I figured we had bigger fish to fry :rofl couldn't do anything about them because of the pineconing--aquarium salt was not an option. But nothing today. :)

The funny thing is as I was changing his water today I hardly noticed any poop compared to the last few days. From what I remember it was still food colored (or I think I would have mentally noted white poop) and seemed shorter than it was yesterday. Just checked the tank and no poo on bottom or coming out so I'll keep an eye out tomorrow.

Woot woot! :rockon I feel much less worried today.

Edited by fantailfan1

Poop is looong skinny and parts are white, parts are food colored.

This is fine, because he has an internal infection and treatment has just begun. How is he otherwise?

Another update:

He is still doing very well. This is Day 4 of epsom and MMs. I don't notice any swelling. I haven't seen him poop today but what is at the bottom of the tank is short, thin and food colored. He is active, no bottom sitting and eating like a pig. A pig that gets 6 pellets a day, that is . ..

I noticed a day or two ago that his tail has a tear in it. Its not at the end of his tail but more in the center on the bottom and is perpendicular to the rays of the tail (I think that's what they are called). It looks like his tail got bent and tore? I don't know that there is a whole lot I can do about it, other than clean water?:idont

You're right in that there isn't much we should do about the tear, other than really clean water, which you are already doing. :)

I am very happy with his progress. Let's keep the Epsom as it is for a couple more days, and then you can begin to let it dilute out with water changes. I think we can stop MMs at 14 days, but let's evaluate on day 13. :)

I've been doing 100% daily wcs, actually taking him out of the tank and dumping every last bit of water out, squirting the tank and refilling. How much less Epsom should I use? Or should I wait a couple days then reevaluate?

And I am ECSTATIC about his progress. I seriously thought I'd lose him after my last experience with this. It goes to show that it is good to HAVE MEDICATIONS ON HAND, JUST IN CASE! :)

Let's give him a total of 6 days in Epsom, so dose back the next two days with the full amount.

Then, on day 7, just don't add back any. It should be fine :)

I too am very pleased with his progress, and while of course we aren't 100% out of the woods, the outlook is very good. I can't stress enough the importance of preparedness, and I'm glad you had everything you needed on hand, including very observant eyes :)

• Supporter

Thanks so much Helen! I certainly could not have done it without Alex! He was so calm and collected throughout it all, even when I was freaking out! He totally rocks ( but don't tell him I said that :teehee)!

I. :heart Koko's! :)

:grouphug

Update:

He is still looking good! He has not had any cysts for 5-6 days, he's active and eating his MMs right up. His poop is still a little thin and usually food colored but some occasional whitish poop remains here and there. This is Day 6 or 7 of MMs, I'd have to check my calendar. I'm not too worried about the occasional white poop as we are planning on 14 days or so, right?

I just added dose #6 of Epsom. A few days ago you recommended stopping after 6 doses. Should I stick with that plan?

Yet another update:

I am happy to announce that Mr Piggy has succeeded in his quest to reach both pellets of MMs before they hit the tank floor! :rofl:rofl

I have not added Epsom to the tank now for the past 2 water changes (48 hours without Epsom so far) and I see no evidence of him being bloated/pineconed.

Today is Day 9 of MMs. He still has occasional white poop but is active and, of course, eating well.

Just curious--we are heading out of town for a few days (Wed-Fri) over Thanksgiving. If he continues doing well, do you think we can stop the MMs at 14 days even if he is still having some white poop? Or do we want that gone before we stop? I'm thinking if I'm gone for a few days and he is still in QT, I will need someone to change his water the one day I'm not here. I have already bounced the idea off my neighbor (I saved her guppies. She didn't know about cycling. They left for Fourth of July and asked if I'd feed the guppies. I tested the water and it was toxic. I proceeded to change the water at least once daily for 3-4 days until they came home. I also left a "Nitrogen Cycle" print out near the tank. :yikes She loved it! She is a chemical engineer and found it fascinating. Anyway if she needs to change the water, she wants strict written instructions AND to watch me do it a time or two before I leave.) She is totally capable and willing to do it. I'm just trying to plan ahead to make sure we get a chance to have a water changing party before I go.

Do you think he'll be back in the main tank by then? OR too soon to tell? It's about 10 days from now.

Edited by fantailfan1

Woot! There's no better demonstration of health than being able to catch all of his pellets before they hit the floor of the tank! :rofl

I don't see any reason why he would need to continue the Metro-Meds past 14 days. Usually, I try to let the antibiotics go for a week after all symptoms have disappeared. In this case, that was a week ago :rofl

So, I think that we will just go to the recommended 14 days minimum and stop. I don't think that the occasional white poop will stop entirely, but then again, I've never been one to rely on just poop for treatment decisions. It's the same with us. Also, considering that we've destroyed a significant number of his gut flora, first with Medi-Gold and then Metro-Meds, he is going to be a little bit before he regains completely normal digestive tract function. However, all of that just requires time, and not much else in terms of actual intervention.

He should be able to go back to the main tank a day or two after stopping MMs. The extra couple of days are just to observe and to make sure he is alright before moving him back :)

Woot! There's no better demonstration of health than being able to catch all of his pellets before they hit the floor of the tank! :rofl

I was rather impressed. He tried many times but the timing was a little off. It was quite comical when he finally did it! :rofl

Is it worth giving him a meal of JumpStart per day for a while once he's done with MMs? I think before when I gave it to him, he did a lot of bottom sitting. But then again, I also think he still had something brewing as he pineconed shortly thereafter.

To JumpStart or not to JumpStart? That is the question. :teehee

Edited by fantailfan1

I have ProGold but it probably needs to be replaced. I'm not sure how old it is . . . The last time I bought food I tried the Saki Hikari in the purple bag. I wasn't all that impressed. I'm switching back to ProGold. I'll look into a reorder. I've been feeding mainly Repashy soilent green with PG and SH and bloodworms for variety. The JumpStart is new. Should've gotten PG at same time but was too panicky to think that far ahead! :)

Jumpstart is fine. The only reason why I was saying PG is that Jumpstart seems to have quite a bit of probiotics, and in this case, too much could be bad. So, feed a couple of pellets of JS daily, but supplement with others, like soilent green. :)