Red spot on fish

fantailfan1

Yes, fins crossed!

- good on the Epsom

- 5 pellets of MMs. If you can, do 3 meals of 2-2-1 or even 2-2-2. MMs is much gentler than MG, so some extra isn't bad, if he will eat the extras.

- temp can be upped to 78-80

- when you do WCs, make sure temps match, and replace Epsom.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had 2 pellets this morning. One of them he got before it hit the bottom of the tank. Now that's impressive in a 10 gallon! :) I will give 2 more this afternoon and one later this evening.

I will up the temp and replace Epsom at WCs.

Pics to come once my husband is home.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high but he just looks so good/active.

Well, the pig! :rofl

I'm glad he is active and has a great appetite! :)

Let's double check on this. How much does he weigh again. I want to make sure that he is getting enough MMs. I know we checked it before, but it's good to confirm :)

When I weighed him about 3 weeks ago, he was a whopping 10 g. Today he weighs in at 12 g! Now if it were me and I gained 20% of my weight in 3 weeks, I would blame it on "water weight". :rofl He may be able to do that considering he is bloated.

I got a great look at him in his little weigh in container. The scales are minimally raised. I can tell a difference from last night. Is that possible? Just 12 hours later and 2-3 hours in Epsom? :idont

Yes, it's very possible when intervene on time. That's the main reason I sound like a mad man trying to tell people to stock up on essentials. We won't celebrate just yet, but this is a very positive sign :)

He can definitely gain 20% of his weight in 3 weeks when he's young (which he is) and being fed the right kinds of food (which he also is). At 12 grams, he can eat 5 pellets, which you can push to 6, if you like, to make it 2-2-2. See? Uncle Alex doesn't always threaten him with the "S" word, but sometimes encourages him to eat more :rofl

:rofl:rofl

He's never needed much encouragement to eat. It's just that his 2 tank mates are better at finding food. He's probably enjoying his little vacation in his own tank, especially now that we've taken the *S* word off the table.

I had some old meds from GF Connection that I didn't dare use when my last fish had dropsy. I re-ordered like a mad woman promptly at that time. Unfortunately he passed away soooo quickly that I had hardly hit the "Complete Order" button and he was gone. Fortunately for this fish, though, I then had fresh unopened meds (and Espom at the corner pharmacy) to get him going right away. Yay!

It's annoying, and it costs some money, but what I have taken to do is always have at least Metro-Meds on hand. I keep it unopened until about 9-10 months after purchase. At that time, if anyone needs it, I will send it to them. That way, the food is wasted. :)

Well he is at a comfortable 79*. I just fed him 2 more pellets and, once again, he got one before it hit the tank bottom! He tried to get both but he miscalculated a bit and it hit him and fell to the bottom. It didn't last there long! :) Perhaps I should rename him "Kamikaze". :rofl

When my daughter (Nov 26 bday daughter) came home from school, she ran directly to the tank to see how he was. She said "Whoa. I think he looks less full of air than he did." Yay!

OMG!! My husband got home in the middle of the night last night (with camera). I actually woke him up this morning with "Um, could you do me a favor? Could you go get me some epsom salt? My fish has the same thing that killed Colin's fish this past spring." So without question he went and got some before he got ready for work. So he just came home and said "Did you put your fish down?"

Wait, what? You thought I was going to euthanize my fish? With epsom salt? :rofl

I said, "NO silly! You euthanize with clove oil, not ES! I needed to draw some of the fluid out of him!" :rofl To his credit he has helped me with euthanizing before. I put the fish in the clove oil and left him to watch for gill movement as I couldn't do it. Crazy guy. I wouldn't do it without him! Maybe if I wasn't crying when I asked him to go, he wouldn't have thought it was time . . . I was overly tired. It was a late night.

Anyway, he is downloading pics now and we will get them posted soon. I hope you can appreciate the difference in size between the two sides of him . . . His scales are now flat so nothing to see there! :Jig:

Edited by fantailfan1

Here are a couple of pics. The full size is just so you can see how adorable he is. :) The top view is so you can *hopefully* see the difference is right side vs left side size. And look at that tail--pretty huh? :)

DSC_3074.jpg

DSC_3067.jpg

Edited by fantailfan1

Aw. How adorable! He's looking quite good. He does look a bit fat, but I think that the worst is over, and we can just take the next 13 days in stride.

I would like to keep the Epsom in for the full 8 days, and then we will stop. Metro-Meds will be at least 14 days, although I don't see having to go past that.

I'm so glad the whole family cares so much about the fish. It makes for a great bonding experience! Lucky fish as well :)

He was sold as a ryukin but I'm not convinced. Although if I can get him to chunk up he might start to develop that hump. My son's that we just got in the spring is bigger with a bigger hump. Oh well I just looove his calico pattern. :)

Glad to hear you think he looks good. I have not seen any bottom sitting all day and I've been home cleaning all day, much of which takes place within eyeshot of him . .. :)

My calico ryukin looked like for a fantail for the first year and a half of his life. Then his hump started to develop. So, it can sometimes take a while. Also, bloodworms and Pro-Gold are really good for hump development!

Urgh. I am not freaking out but he is bottom sitting again. I noticed it late this afternoon but tried not to worry. Then I did his daily 100% wc, thinking that might help. It hasn't. He sits in the corner and it seems like he's breathing hard . . .

I have noticed a couple of loooong poos today. They are thin and a bit lighter than the MMs but not white. He did have 6 pellets today (2+2+2) and ate them up quickly as I said. But now he's sitting in the corner with a looong poo coming out. :idont

With him sitting so still it is easy to see there are no scales sticking out. He did not rouse when I came to the tank.

Nope the lights aren't off because I'm too busy watching him bottom sit. I can't see him with the lights off!! :rofl

I'll give it a rest for the night. Turning lights off and hoping he looks perky again in the morning. Maybe I'll just go over and mention something about a salt dip if he keeps it up . . . . :)

(There isn't a light on the tank BTW. I don't usually put lights on QT tanks . . . It was the room lights that were on but he's in the kitchen where the lights are fairly bright. They are off now.)

Edited by fantailfan1

:Jig: What is that? That is me doing a happy dance!! :clapping:

I have not seen any bottom sitting at all today. He is active and ate all 6 pellets (3 feedings) quickly. As I changed his water and put him in a small container to empty his tank, I got another good look from above. I am positive there are no scales sticking out and he doesn't look bloated. He looks much more equal on both sides. Not totally but who knows if he was to begin with?

Anyway he looks fantastic! Let's hope he stays that way. Yay!