Red spot on fish

fantailfan1

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl I guess I've done stranger things over the years of fish-keeping . . .

I caused my mom no small amount of consternation when I first asked her for a pair of pantyhose. Now, she just says, "Go buy some yourself!" :rofl :rofl :rofl

Whew! He is looking MUCH better today! Once again I can hardly see the spot that was oozing and I don't see any new ones developing. Once I salted yesterday, after about 4 hours or so he was much more active. I haven't seen him bottom sit yet today. :clapping:

I was thinking the only time he was spot free was when he was on the MediGold but my daughter reminded me that for the 3 weeks he was off MediGold but in the 0.1% salted and prazied main tank he didn't have any then, either. Maybe he thinks he's a salt water GF?! LOL. :)

I'm just happy my lil guy is perked up. Yay!

:rofl

You know what this means, don't you? :o

I'm afraid he is going to need a salt dip, and then one round of Prazi in QT, with 0.3% salt, just to be safe. He may have something external bugging him.

I was afraid you were gonna pull that "s" word out! I'm ok with that but I"m gonna let you break the news to him!

What order should I do this? Salt dip then prazi? He's already in 0.3% salt . . .

Is it OK to wait on the salt dip til Friday as I'll be off doing Halloween stuff shortly and I work tomorrow. I could probably do it tomorrow night if needed.

Like I said before, I hope he tolerates it better than my last fish I dipped. :yikes

I think last time I did the salt dip in a 5 gallon bucket. Does that sound right? I checked out your Using Salt links and didn't see anything on dips. Do you know off the top of your head how much salt is needed for 5 gallons at 2%? If not, I can figure it out! :)

Thanks again!

Friday is fine. :)

Here is the order:

1. Keep salt at 0.3%

2. Add Prazi

3. Dip. 2% is fine.

4. Put back in Prazi/salt solution :)

OK so tomorrow is D Day--Dip Day. Yes, the dreaded salt dip. :yikes

He is in 0.3% salt but I have not added any prazi. For some reason I was thinking prazi once he's had his dip but I think I interpretted wrong? I was planning on doing hte dip tomorrow unless he should be prazied first . . . I can do the dip any time this weekend.

He is in his unfiltered QT with 100% daily WC. Once I add the prazi do I add it again at the next WC or ?

Finally, as far as his bottom sitting is concerned--he'd been doing really well (no bottom sitting) until this evening not long after I fed him ProGold. As I read back through this post, it seems most of the bottom sititng occurred when he was eating pellets (either MediGold, then the JumpStart) but very little to no bottom sitting on soilent green. Thoughts?

Oh, noooo :(

When is your husband coming back with the phone? Either way, let's remove all traces of salt, and if you have MMs, go ahead and feed. When we have a better idea of whether there is bloating, we can decide on Epsom, even though I don't think you will need it.

Hang in there!

I can get pics tomorrow. I removed all salt and he ate 2 pellets of MMs.

I forgot to mention that there is another spot and that is what prompted me to take a closer look, this time from above. That's how I noticed the pineconing. From above, he is definitely swollen on the side that is pineconing which also has the spot.

I can go get epsom if I need it tonight. There is nothing like a midnight run to a store for fish meds!

Should I add a heater? If so heat to what temp?

Edited by fantailfan1

For tonight, just set the heater to about 72-74. Tomorrow, we can bring it up a little more.

It's late, and it's not necessary to get Epsom now. When you do have the Epsom though, dissolve and add 1/4 teaspoon Epsom per 10 gallons of tank water.

The amount of MMs should be the same as the MG previously, and we will go to 14 days at least. MMs should also be able to treat the spots, although it is not as potent.

I've already added the heater. I read another thread with a fish that had dropsy and just passed away. :( I know all too well . . . I lost our last fish to dropsy.

I first started mentioning he looked bloated almost 2 weeks ago. I've been watching for pineconing. I hope it's not too late.

I will get epsom first thing in the morning.

I'm soooo glad I noticed before I dipped him!

Edited by fantailfan1

I know, right? :rofl

When you are able to take pics tomorrow, it might be better to place him in a smaller container so that you can take good/clear top view shots, which are what we need to determine the bloating and the pineconing. It will also be good to have this as a frame of reference to compare to after treatment has started.

OK, the tank temp is at 76*. It was at 72* to start . . . . Does it need to be higher? Closer to 80*?

Also I got the epsom salt. Should I add it or would you like to see pics first? Thanks for the suggestion to put him in a smaller container for pics. I noticed that last night when I moved him out of the QT tank to take out the salt that while he was in a 1 gallon jug the pineconing was much easier to see.

He was up swimming around when I snuck out here this morning to check on him (by the light of my iPad :rofl). I will stick to just 4 pellets of MMs. Is it best to try and feed those about 12 hours apart, 2 at a time? Or 1 at a time about 4-6 hours apart? Or am I overthinking this? I had a lot of thoughts running through my head last night (or should I say this morning?) as I tried to fall asleep . . .