Red spot on fish

fantailfan1

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jumpstop!! :tomuch: :tomuch: :rofl2

If anyone gets floaty, it will be him.

OK, now wish us luck that the spots don't come back.

Thanks a million for your excellent advice, guidance and humor along the way. :hi5

Edited by fantailfan1

Up to a month...it's just extreme probiotic food and not medicated food, so the time frame is not really crucial. We just want to put some good gut bacteria back into him :)

Just as a forewarning, don't freak out if any more spots appear. I don't think they will, but if they do, then we will do as before, which is no treatment unless there are multiple spots. If there is only one spot and it bursts, then salt will suffice :)

OK I am not going to turn into "The Panicker" from Emily's hilarious What GF People Say video, but another spot has appeared. I will follow dnalex's advice above. I only see one spot and it just appeared today. I will watch and see if it bursts and salt if I need to. I believe we salted to 0.3% originally.

I guess the good news is I haven't put him back into the main tank yet as I wanted to give him 4 or 5 days of JumpStart by himself. Once he's in the main tank, he's the slowest to get ot the food so this way I know exactly what he's been getting.

Ugh. I'm so bummed. And frustrated. :tantrum

Don't panic! :)

I would just keep watch. You can even move him back to the main and then move him back to QT when/if it starts to pop, if you like.

I only know the spots will come back because this is something that is not uncommon. :)

I see another spot. It's not so much a spot but what will be a spot later tonight or tomorrow. What happens (since I"ve seen it so many times now) is that I see a raised, kind of pointed area on him then several hours later or the next day, that raised area is white and sticking out from under the scale. Does that make sense? I should say that except for maybe 1 or 2 of these spots the biggest they usually get is about 1 mm tops.

The spot I noticed yesterday is not any worse and has never had any redness. It's still there but barely visible and it never looked fuzzy to me, which I assume happens once it starts to drain/pop?

I am not treating with anything still. He is still active (although I did catch him bottom sitting a couple times yesterday) and eats well.

I'm assuming just watch him/no treatment still? :)

Let's leave it. Until one actually breaks or you get to the point where you can't stand it, we just go on with normal routine. I have a feeling it will get re-absorbed.

I'm starting to feel like he has acne! :rofl

Sometimes when he bottom sits, his body is at almost a 45 degree angle with his mouth pointing up. Why does that happen? Is the JumpStart constipating him? He is prone to that. It hasn't made him floaty yet.

I'm starting to feel like he has acne! :rofl

That's exactly what it is :rofl

Sometimes when he bottom sits, his body is at almost a 45 degree angle with his mouth pointing up. Why does that happen? Is the JumpStart constipating him? He is prone to that. It hasn't made him floaty yet.

I think it's a digestive issue also. Are you feeding him anything else?

I've been giving him 2 pellets of JumpStart in the morning and 2 at night. Saturday and Sunday I also gave him a small cube of soilent green. Poor guy. :( The teen years are hitting him hard--acne and now this!! :rofl

Is the JumpStart doing more harm than good? :idont

The one I saw 2 or 3 days ago resolved on its own without eruption. The one from last night has now erupted. :crying:

Start salting? And I never took him out of QT as he never went more than a day without me seeing a spot (other than when he was on MediGold). I didn't want my other fish to catch whatever this is. Back to his regular food--SG, bloodworms, ProGold, etc. No meds other tahn salt for now, right? And no more JumpStart.

He's bottom sitting a lot again, with his nose in the air. :(

Try the salt for today. Go straight to 0.3%. We know we have the option of the Medi-Gold again, but I would really rather not if that can be helped. Will you upload a video of him, if possible? I'm going to have Helen take a look as well, since her Rocky used to have these issues. Thanks.

OK, I'll get him salted right away. I will try and get a video once my husband is home from out of town with the camera. He comes home tonight but I'm not sure what time his flight arrives. I am one of the last people on earth to not have video on my phone! Thanks for having Helen take a look. I hope when you say "used to have these issues" that these issues weren't fatal. :yikes

OK, I'll get him salted right away. I will try and get a video once my husband is home from out of town with the camera. He comes home tonight but I'm not sure what time his flight arrives. I am one of the last people on earth to not have video on my phone! Thanks for having Helen take a look. I hope when you say "used to have these issues" that these issues weren't fatal. :yikes

:rofl

No, it wasn't fatal.

Yes, please.

The best way is to cut a length of new pantyhose, measure out the amount of salt you need, add it to the pantyhose, tie it up and hang it on the tank. Let it dissolve on its own time :)