Red spot on fish

fantailfan1

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sure, more water changes sound like fun. And a salt dip to boot! It's gonna be another wild weekend around here! :crazy:

Would it be better to have a cycled filter running on the tank? Or are large water changes preferred?

I haven't done salt dips in years. I hope this one handles it better than my last one! :yikes

Is it typical for the cysts to keep popping up? This is Day #3 of MediGold . . . I guess the good thing is they are only there for a day or so and then they disappear (in one spot anyway).

LOL

You know about the salt dips. They're ride bike riding. You don't forget once you've done it. :rofl

It's not so much about having a cycled filter. The extra water changes ensure that there is low to no organics and much fewer amount of bacteria etc in the water.

I'm not surprised that another cyst showed up, because it takes a couple of days for the meds to accumulate in the tissues.

I had 2 fish that had some issues. We tried salt dips to see if that would help. I just remember one of them flipped over on its side rather quickly and it really scared me. The other one handled it much better.

I can up the WCs the next couple days and do a salt dip if you'd like. I really really like this fish (he's a calico and I just love his coloring) so I hope he'll be OK. I work on Mondays so extra WCs may not happen that day but I can again Tues and Wed if needed.

How many and what % WCs would you like me to do over the next couple of days? Let me know about when/if I should do the salt dip too.

I forgot to tell you that when I did the WCs yesterday I caught him and felt his belly to see if it was mushy and it wasn't. The most recent spot was right about at the point where his belly turns into his side of that makes sense so no mushiness even though the cyst is right there. I took the firm belly as a good sign . . .

I don't think this is anything bad at all. The extra WCs, when you are able to do, are great, but they are optional. The bottom sitting is most likely because the strong meds are making him feel a bit off. Once he is back to his normal routine, he will be much better. :)

OK. I'll shoot for 2 or 3 WCs tomorrow. I'm glad he's still eating. Even if mean ole Alex will only let him eat 4 pellets a day!! :rofl

Luckily he hasn't asked to file any complaints . . . Yet.

Edited by fantailfan1

Good news. He is bottom sitting much much less today. NO new spots and the last spot to develop (#4) is almost gone. Eating fine and poo is still food colored although it is still long. He definitely looks a bit improved today though!! :rockon

And more good news: Michgan beat MSU for the first time in 4 years. It wasn't pretty but we'll take it. :)

OK we're still doing well. I only saw him bottom sitting about 3 times today. His poos are still food colored and getting shorter. I don't think there are any new white or red spots. There is one area I'm watching cuz it looks a little suspicious but I'm crossing my fingers that it won't develop into a new spot. And he's eating his 4 measly pellets per day right up . . .

I didn't do a salt dip as I didn't think it was needed? Just say the word and I'll tell him Uncle Alex says he needs to take a dip! :rofl

Frumpy and sad--that made me LOL!!! Luckily he doesn't look either . . . .

Hopefully he'll look as good if not better tomorrow and then we'll be at just about a week of MediGold. I'll have to check my calendar to know which day is a week.

I'm just glad he's not frumpy and sad. I don't know why I think that's so funny. Maybe I should try getting some sleep instead of being online all night . . .

Today is Day 7 of MediGold. I haven't noticed any new spots for a few days. However, he does still bottom sit. Not as much as he was last Fridayish when Alex threatened him with salt dips but he's just not quite back to himself.

Should I continue with the MediGold a few more days or stop it? :idont

Today is Day 10 of MediGold. I have not seen any new spots in quite some time, he's active (very little bottom sitting), and eating like a horse. Is it time to put him back in the main tank?

Also, if I may ask out of curiosity--the package says to feed MediGold for at least 14 days. Are we stopping at 10 days because this wasn't a horribly serious infection, or? :idont

Good deal! I'm glad my threat of the salt dip worked :rofl

I had forgotten that the label says for at least 14 days. On the goldfishconnection.com website, on the Medi-Gold page, the information they have is to feed for at least 10-14 days.

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=8&catId=1

From what I know about the meds that are contained in MG, they are super strong, and as long as we make sure to feed the correct amount, there is really no need to go to 14 days. There are two antibiotics in MG that can be very damaging to the kidneys if taken in excess, so I try to limit the days of exposure when possible. In this case, given that everything is back to normal, we can stop treating :)

Just as a forewarning, don't freak out if any more spots appear. I don't think they will, but if they do, then we will do as before, which is no treatment unless there are multiple spots. If there is only one spot and it bursts, then salt will suffice :)

Sounds good. Please don't tell me it might happen again! Poor lil guy.

Now that you mention it, I do remember reading 10-14 days on GC website. Thanks for the reminder.

I have Jump Start. Would that be worth feeding?