Sign in to follow this  
fantailfan1

Red spot on fish

I'd leave it for tonight, since you will have to do a WC tomorrow anyway :rofl :rofl :rofl

BUT, if you were looking for a bit of extra goldfish-related chore, by all means take it out :rofl :rofl :rofl

Yes, I need more to do tonight. Especially since I haven't yet started that laundry or making lunches.

I'll put him in with salt tonight and then is it OK to do the wc and leave the salt out tomorrow or is that too stressful for him?

Wait, what about me?! What about what's too stressful for me? :rofl

:rofl No, you must have MOAR stress! :rofl

It's perfectly fine to have him in the salt tonight, and then have it phased out tomorrow. :)

:rofl No, you must have MOAR stress! :rofl

My therapist would disagree! :rofl2

How long is MediGold safe to use once it's open? I think up to 1 year? This time I want to label it so I don't have to guess. Also is it better to leave it in the pouch it came in or a sealed food storage container?

(How much longer can I put off folding that laundry? :teehee)

I would say 6-9 months once you've opened it. Keep it in a cool dry place, and better if you could vacuum seal it. One of the things forum members here often do is that when their medicated food is about to outlive its usefulness is they offer it for free to people currently in need, with the other person paying for postage, for example. This way, nothing goes to waste. :)

Being slightly (or not so slightly OCD), I keep it in the pouch, and THEN put it in a food storage container along with its cousin, Metro-Meds. :rofl

You are just plain wild!! :crazy:

I would be glad to offer it up to people that need it. I just opened the package sent to me with the medicated food. (I didn't open it when I ordered it cuz teh fish already had passed :() I forgot I also ordered JumpStart if that would be useful after the MediGold . .. .

So my dear lil fish is only 10 grams. I need to feed him 0.1 grams per day, right? My scale doesn't measure that small of an amount I don't think. Anyone with a scale and some MediGold have any idea about how many pellets are in 0.1 grams of MediGold? :idont

LOL

That's 4 pellets a day :rofl

Tithra used her headshop acquisition to weigh some samples before.

Wait until it's about 6 months before you offer up the meds. :)

4 pellets a day?! That doesn't seem like enough! I would have guessed twice that . . .

Seems like if I've been overfeeding him so much he would be bigger by now! I've had him at least a year. I got another fish much more recently who started off smaller than my sick fish and is now 60% bigger.

Well, you can feed more than 4 pellets if you wish. 6-8 would be fine. The minimum that you need to feed is 4 :)

At least in my experience, some fish for some reason just don't grow very much initially, but then all the sudden they explode in growth.

Thanks. I'll probably do 6-8 pellets or he'll think I'm starving him!

Hopefully I won't find any more spots in the morning! Poor guy (or girl . . .).

Just an update:

Two of the three spots that were there yesterday appear to be gone. The one spot with the redness is still there--it doesn't look any better or any worse. He is quite active although I do see him bottom sitting occasionally. He swims right up if he sees me standing there though. He's eating the MediGold with vigor. I gave him 8 pellets today. I also did about a 95% wc and did not replace the salt I had put in there last night.

That's all for now. :)

Well, good. Sounds like everything is on track. :)

Please don't be tempted to give him more than 8/day. Kanamycin, one of the ingredients in MGs can be very damaging to the kidneys at high doses.

Also, because you are feeding him more than 1%/day (which is fine), let's make sure to review things at about 7 days after starting the food, because I most likely do not want to go longer than 10 days. :)

Should I keep it at 4-6 pellets per day? He just kept looking at me with those eyes today so I fed him 3 times. I work tomorrow so he will only be fed twice. I can keep it to fewer pellets if that would be preferable. Don't want to damage the kidneys!

I'll mark 7 days on my calendar so we can decide at that point when the stop the MediGold. (And when I say "we", I of course mean "you" or another mod!! :rofl )

LOL. No, 8 is fine. I don't want you and him to file some sort of complaint against me :rofl

But really, it's OK :)

Of course we decide together. :P

He may be filing a complaint against me for referring to him as male . . . I kinda think he is a she but I'm not sure and I automatically refer to things as "he" if in doubt. Anyway, let him file that complaint. He'll find himself back down to 4 pellets in a flash then he'll be sorry. :teehee

Ok I'll stick with 8 for now and reevaluate after a week.

Thanks again! :)

The Daily Update:

Physically he looks about the same--no new spots. His poo is food colored so that is a good sign. He looks fat to me like he's full of air or something. He is not pineconing, he just looks bloated. Maybe he just looks bigger since he's in a smaller tank. Or I could be imagining it too.

He is bottom sitting a lot today. I haven't been around him a ton since I worked and it's been a busy evening but it seems every time I looked at the tank he was sitting in the bottom in the corner. He seemed to perk up a bit after the nearly 100% wc and he is still eating just fine. He does rouse from the corner when he sees me but I'd say he's on the bottom in the corner 75% of the time . . . :(

I tell myself that when I don't feel well I like to lay down on the couch and relax . . . maybe that's what he's doing. Resting so he gets better faster? I just hope he's OK.

Let's scale down to only 4 pellets per day, please!

Will do. Thanks. Do you think that's why he looks bloated? I didn't think of that. I've been feeding soilent green for quite a while and he hasn't had pellets but maybe once a week.

OK, 4 pellets tomorrow. :)

May be. Could you put up a video or some pics? He may be a bit constipated also.

I'm not sure pics or a video would help. What in particular do you want to see? His activity or lack of it? Or his "bloatiness"?

Sorry, probably dumb questions.

No, the questions aren't dumb. I wanted to see if the bloatedness.

No, the questions aren't dumb. I wanted to see if the bloatedness.

Is there more to that sentence? If the bloatedness what?

Honestly I don't know if he is bloated or not. I don't think you could tell if I did a video or pics as they usually come out so blurry. And my daughter who usually takes the pic while I catch and hold the fish is in bed. Maybe we could do one tomorrow if he still looks bloated to me?

As I look at him now, he has been quite active for the past 30-45 minutes. He is pooing right now. It's food colored, a little thinner than the MediGold pellets and kinda long. Does that help at all? Ugh.

Edited by fantailfan1

Yes, that helps, and my apologies, I think I had some sort malfunction in the middle of the last post. I meant to type " I want to see the bloatedness." Somehow the "if" jumped into the sentence and killed it. :rofl

It does sound he is a bit backed up. Hence the long poop. Let's definitely try for 4 pellets/day. :)

OK thanks.

Funny how 2 little letters can change a sentence so much! :)

Today there is another spot. I don't see any redness, only white again. The other 3 spots are not visible at all anymore. He looks about the same as far as the "bloatedness" and I'm still not sure if it's even there or I'm just worrying about nothing.

He is still bottom sitting quite a bit--probably as much as yesterday. But he is still eating fine, just 4 pellets today I promise, and rouses when I go near the tank.

Guess that's all for now.