Sign in to follow this  
fantailfan1

Red spot on fish

For 40 gallons, I need 312 mg then. Or Alex said it would be OK to double dose so 624 mg.

I can dose in a range from 312 to 624 mg . . . so like I said 0.5 grams = 500 mg. And without all the fancy math. LOL!!

Just kiddin' Alex! Thanks again. I really appreciate all the help! :P

lol, I am absolutely terrible at math, and oh so totally lost with all those numbers :P

I'm a total math and science geek. Just don't ask me to write a report/article/persuasive paper, etc.

Alex's way is much more impressive than mine! :exactly

For 40 gallons, I need 312 mg then. Or Alex said it would be OK to double dose so 624 mg.

I can dose in a range from 312 to 624 mg . . . so like I said 0.5 grams = 500 mg. And without all the fancy math. LOL!!

Just kiddin' Alex! Thanks again. I really appreciate all the help! :P

:rofl

0.5 grams sound perfect actually :rofl

I asked about my plants but what about my nerites? Can they handle 0.1% salt? :idont

Doubtful. I would take them out and find them a separate home for now

OK I'll put them in the 10 gallon once I've got the fish and salt out of there.

Thanks.

I am adding the fish back to the main tank along with salt (0.1%) and prazi. I did about an 80% wc also. Throughout treatment, when I do a water change is 50% large enough? Just makes salt calculations easier but if I need to go bigger I will . . .

He still looks great. NO bottom sitting or clamped fins at all, rouses when I come near the tank, and eats, eats, eats. :)

50% WC is good, provided that your nitrates are low. Prazi is more effective when dissolved organics are low. Hence, the tons of WCs. :)

Good luck!

just wanted to check in and see how things are going :)

Things are going well. I just added prazi dose #3. I haven't seen any cysts on any of the fish and they are tolerating the salt well. Eating and acting normal--no more bottom sitting! I am getting super anxious to be done with the salt and put the snails back in the tank as the brown algae has returned in abundance!! :yikes

Just curious--how long is prazi effective once added to the tank?

Edited by fantailfan1

It becomes inactive after 3 days. I'm glad to hear everything is going okay :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh. I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or just add on to this one so here goes.

My fish had the red/white spot on him which wsa thought to be a bacterial cyst. I salted at 0.3% and within a day or two the area was healed up. I returned the fish to the main tank (along with 2 other GF, neither of which has shown any signs of cysts), salted (0.1%) and did 5 rounds of prazi. It was about 3 weeks beginning to end. I did a large wc Sunday to remove the salt. Yesterday after work I noticed another white spot on the same GF. It looks like a white dot and it looks like it's coming from underneath a scale (the scale is raised--not dropsy looking only one scale is raised). There is no redness to the spot. At one point this afternoon the spot was gone and now it's back.

I believe it was Alex who said these things tend to be recurrent. Is it probably another cyst? If so, should I QT him again and salt to 0.3% again?

Nuts. Just when things were back to normal. I was going to do one more large wc today and add my snails back to the main tank. I guess if I'm QTing him the snails can still go back.

Thanks AGAIN! :)

Unfortunately these things tend to recur. If it's just white, do nothing and observe only.

Ok thanks for such a quick response, Alex. I'm starting to think there is something to this robot rumor . . . :teehee

I'll keep an eye on it. He's active and eating fine. If anything changes, I'll let you know. :)

Edited by fantailfan1

LOL. I get notification in threads I follow, so when I am able, I respond right away.

Of course, that didn't dispel anything about robots though. :rofl

Oh my stars. Now there is another one more towards his rear. Still not red, just white. Sometimes it looks a little fuzzy, like maybe it's trailing pus into the water?

Here is a pic. It's the white dot all the way to the right on the fish's black area:

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s518/fantailfan1/SAM_2547.jpg

SAM_2547.jpg

BTW--ignore all the diatoms! That's for another post. I'm gonna do before and after shots once the snails have done their job! :)

Do you have Medi-Gold on hand?

Let's just bring salt to 0.2% for tonight. We can decide on meds tomorrow.

I have MediGold and MMs but I'll wait on that. They are both fresh, unopened.

I'm assuming I should QT this fish? Currently there is no salt in the tank, so I should salt to 0.1% tonight and up to 0.2% tomorrow morning right?

Sorry couple more questions:

Tank temp is about 72*. Is that OK or should I add a heater?

Also, in general do you put anything in the QT tank with the fish? Plants, river rocks, etc or just bare? I always have an airstone in there . . .

I'm getting concerned! Now I found another spot (#3 in the past 2 days). This one is on the other side of his body near his pelvic fin and it is surrounded by red. The other 2 still do not have any red areas. Ugh. What is going on with my baby? :(

Moving the QT is a fine idea, although it's probably OK to wait until tomorrow, if you like.

- yes, please salt as you described. :)

- 72 is fine. With the exception of dropsy and ich, raising the temp is other cases can be harmful, since that means that the bacterial infection can spread more quickly.

- I like to put a few river stones in the QT, just to give the fish some landmarks/diversions.

Edit: I just read your recent post. Don't panic! As we discussed before, these things will occur in two waves, most likely, and the second is worse than the first. Given that there are now three spots, I would go ahead and move him to QT whenever you like and start the MEDI-GOLD. This needs to be at 1% of body weight daily, and I would like to aim for 10 days only if possible. Daily WCs would be very helpful, if possible. Salt is not necessary.

Hang in there. These things will happen in the life of any goldfish keeper. It's actually not uncommon, and should be relatively straight-forward to treat. :)

I had set up QT already and salted it to 0.1% but I have not yet put the fish in there as I was hoping to get a response to my myriad of questions before I proceeded. :)

Should I empty it and replace it with regular ole unsalted water? It's not a problem either way. I'm always up too late for my own good . . . I've still got laundry to fold and lunches to make.

Also I need to thank tithra for her "How much does your fish weigh" thread or else I would have no idea what 1% of his body weight would be! Yay!

And, of course, thank you, Alex for your excellent guidance. :)

I'll try not to panic. I lost my last fish to dropsy. He went soooo quickly it was scary and with new spots popping up so quicklywith this fish it made me nervous. I guess I didn't realize Round #2 would be worse than the first.

The 0.1% is fine as it is. I was trying to save you an extra step, but since it's done already, that's not a problem.

Let me know how things are. Just FYI, Medi-Gold can make some fish constipated, so if that does happen, it's not a huge deal. You can probably give him a little bit of soilent green (instead of peas), and that should do the trick :)

If the salt isn't needed I'd be happy to take it out considering I'll be doing 100% daily wc. They are a bit easier without the salt . . . but, again, I'll leave it if it will help him.

What would you do? :idont