Sign in to follow this  
fantailfan1

Red spot on fish

The tank temp is down to about 72*. Should I add a heater to the tank? If so, what should I raise it to?

The spot looks better for sure. It was a bit raised (pointy?) with some redness and now it's flat with just a hint of pink. :)

There has been an awful lot of bottom sitting the past few hours . . . suggestions? I just did a 100% water change and it perked him up for a bit but now he's back to the bottom. :(

Is he rousing when you come near the tank? Still eating?

can we get a video please?

Ha. You could if my husband was in town. He has the camera, etc.

Not much to see but a fish partially clamped, sitting in the corner on the bottom of the tank yet very willing and able to get up to eat. He's up swimming right now, actually. Looks like he's looking for more food . . .

Sorry. He will be back late tomorrow night.

how do his gills look?

what percentage is salt currently at?

have you ever treated for flukes?

will you feel his belly too back near the vent and let us know how it feels?

Have you seen poo recently? How is that looking?

(sorry for the 20 questions :P)

What's the best way to get a good look at his gills?

Salt is at 0.3% and has been since last night at around 10 or 11 pm.

I honestly don't remember if I've ever treated him for flukes. I got him over a year ago. Our most recent fish we got at least a couple of months ago and I did treat him for flukes before adding him to the tank.

I felt his belly and I guess I don't really know how it should feel! :) Sooooo I grabbed one of my other fish to feel it's belly and the 2 fish bellies felt the same--kinda soft but not mushy?

I haven't seen the poo coming out of him but I did a 100% wc probably about 4 hours ago and I see food colored poo on the bottom of the tank . . .

He's been relatively active the past hour or so. He definitely put up a fight when I grabbed him and now he's swimming around the tank.

What about the tank temp? Is low to mid 70s OK or should I throw the heater on there?

And no problem with all the questions! I love how thorough you are!! :thanks

the low to mid 70's is fine, but if you want to try throwing a heater in and put it at 78 this won't hurt :)

You can either try to catch a look while he is breathing (this will be easier with a larger fish) or you can grab him and ever so gently pull back the gill plate slightly with your fingernail to have a look. You may even be able to get a good enough look just pulling him up out of the water a little, as his gills should open wide doing this.

Do you have prazi on hand from treating before?

The poo is good, and not mushy is also a good sign :)

How long is he bottom sitting at a time?

I put the heater in the tank. I noticed this morning it was about 72* in the tank. Now it's more like 74* but I will raise it slowly . . .

His gills are bright red (like a stop sign but maybe even a little brighter than that?). I do have prazi on hand still.

I first noticed the bottom sitting this afternoon and immediately did a 100% wc. He perked up for a while then started bottom sitting again for maybe 10 minutes at time, then swim around for a minute or two then bottom sit again. This went on for a few hours but for the past hour or so he's been active again.

Maybe he needs wc twice a day instead of once? Maybe 50% then 100% later?

Extra water changes never hurt :)

Let's watch him for a couple days and see how he behaves, since it sounds like he has perked up a bit :) Keep an eye on how much he is bottom sitting versus active and whether fins are clamped or not.

Also keep an eye on your water params, could you test them 24 hours from your last water change and see how they are? Its possible there was a little ammonia build up that was bothering him. It also may just be the salt that he is adjusting to, as some fish can be pretty sensitive to the higher salt concentrations.

OK, I'll watch him.

I did the wc at around 2 pm and I work tomorrow so I won't be home til closer to 6 pm but I will definitely check right when I get home. Maybe I should do a 50% wc yet tonight?

sure! I am in full support of more water changes :)

I did a 50% wc about 2 hrs ago. He was pretty perky but now is bottom sitting a lot again with fins clamped. I put a piece of food in and he went for it but hasn't eaten it all even though it's been in there for plenty of time. I also noticed a thin food colored poo coming out. Ugh. He's starting to stress me out!! :yikes

Edited by fantailfan1

Okay, since the cyst is looking better let's go ahead and bring the salt down to .1% (1 tsp per gallon) and treat with prazi. It's possible that the stress of this cyst took a toll on his immune system and allowed some flukes to get a foot hold.

Here's the basic treatment schedule:

Day 1: add prazi (and .1% salt)

Day 4: big water change (add back in whatever salt you took out with every water change)

Day 5: big water change, add prazi

Day 9: add prazi

Day 12: water change

Day 13: water change add prazi

Continue until you have added prazi 4-6 times.

If his cyst looks pretty healed over (you can put up a pic if you're not sure) and you do not see any others developing, you may want to consider putting him back in the main tank and treating everyone for flukes together if there are fish in the main tank that have not been treated or not treated recently.

I've been home for about half an hour and he's active again. The spot has no redness to it, just a white dot--doesn't look like pus, just white. I will take the salt down to 0.2% when I do the wc tonight and post a pic when my husband gets home with the camera.

I would love to treat the whole tank for flukes as the prazi I have is from GF Connection and it's labeled for treating ponds (1 gram per 100 gallons). It's much easier to treat 40 gallons than 10 gallons. And I know it's ok to overdose a bit so I will treat for 50 gallons . . . I can start that tomorrow if you think the spot looks OK. I was reading on GF Connection website that Rick recommends treating once or twice a year for flukes anyway so it's about time I do that again.

Although, do you recommend leaving him at 0.1% salt for a while? (I started the salt on Friday night.) If so, maybe I'll just leave him in the 10 gallon with salt and treat the other fish separately with prazi only. Or should I treat everyone with salt and prazi?

So many questions! Sorry.

Questions are good :D

When you go to treat the main tank lets move him over and salt and prazi all together ;) We want the salt in there to help heal the tiny cuts left by the dying flukes. The salt also acts as a barrier to help prevent secondary infection aswell.

Treating yearly would be great or sooner if needed so ;)

Sounds good. I will bring him down to 0.2% tonight and see if I can get a decent pic of the spot. Then start all three of them on salt and prazi tomorrow!

Thanks for all your help everyone! He's looking much better this evening. I haven't seen him bottom sitting at all! :) And he ate with vigor!

I have some moss balls and a small anubia plant in my main tank. Will they be OK with the salt at 0.1%? And, probably a dumb question, but where do I put them if not?

Edited by fantailfan1

That Prazi can be used for tanks as well. That's what I do :)

You will need to get a scale that measures to at least 0.1 gram, though.

those plants should be just fine with .1% salt :)

That Prazi can be used for tanks as well. That's what I do :)

You will need to get a scale that measures to at least 0.1 gram, though.

I originally got the prazi for my 90 gallon tank back in the day . . . . I'm the oddball fishkeeper that DOWNgraded. :blink: I have a scale that measures to 0.1 g from back then also. :)

Glad I can leave the plants in there.

I tested the water and the ammonia was at 0.25. I did a 50% wc and brought the salt down to 0.1%. The bad news is I can't get a good pic of the spot. The good news is I can't get a good pic mainly because there isn't much there to see. If I didn't know something was there a couple days ago, I wouldn't suspect anything was wrong.

I'll salt and prazi the main tank tomorrow, adding him back in assuming all looks good. He's still doing great--no more bottom sitting! Yay!!

Thanks again! You all rock! :rockon

OK, the Prazi is used at 2 mg/L, or 7.8 mg/gallon.

You can even double up on that dosage, and will be fine :)

sounds good! :) Keep us updated on how things are going :)

Are we talking about the same praziquantel? (cute, my iPad just filled in "praziquantel" for prazi . . . ). Anyway, my bottle says "1 gram treats 100 gallons". I was planning on using 0.5 g. Is that right?

Also, I just reread a previous post of mine. I didn't bring it down to 0.1%. I brought it down to 0.2%. I'll bring it to 0.1% tomorrow for all fish involved! :)

Edited by fantailfan1

Are we talking about the same praziquantel? (cute, my iPad just filled in "praziquantel" for prazi . . . ). Anyway, my bottle says "1 gram treats 100 gallons". I was planning on using 0.5 g. Is that right?

Also, I just reread a previous post of mine. I didn't bring it down to 0.1%. I brought it down to 0.2%. I'll bring it to 0.1% tomorrow for all fish involved! :)

I believe our human calculator just did the math for you ;) So, you will need 7.8 mg per gallon (as opposed to 1g per 100 gallons)