Sign in to follow this  
fantailfan1

Red spot on fish

OK. When I looked for the cyst 30 minutes later it was nearly impossible to see. I wonder if he's been getting them all along and I just haven't seen them? Frustrating. I don't want the other fish to get these cysts. :(

(Of course he's still in QT but I was hoping to get him back in the main tank in a week or 2 as we discussed.)

I wouldn't worry so much about it. At this stage, I think it's best to let his immune system deal with it, since we don't want to create dependence on the meds anyway.

Last night's plans are still good, as far as I am concerned. :)

You don't think the cysts will be an issue for the other fish? Don't get me wrong--I don't mind sticking with last night's plan and avoiding the salt dip!! :). And I don't want him on the MMs longer than the 14 day plan. I just don't want a whole tank full of fish with acne!! :rofl

This may be a reason to look into UV sterilizers. But is there one that works well that doesn't need a canister filter to run it? (Sold both of those with my 90 gallon). Or wouldn't a UV work for something like this? I'm just thinking if he continues to get cysts then they basically ooze into the water . . . :yikes

Sorry for another flurry of questions.

I've had fish with "acne" and so has Helen, to name two cases I'm most familiar with. None of their tank mates ever developed this, so I don't really think that it's particularly contagious. :)

:clapping: OK. Thanks so much. That makes me feel better. Glad I'm not the only one . . .

I was just looking ahead at the calendar and realized that instead of putting the cake and drinks on the island for my daughter's bday parties, we will have a fish in QT for a centerpiece! :rofl I am soooo classy.

Yes, you can laugh. :) However, I believe I'm just days away from being known as "the crazy fish lady". I will never reveal that I weigh my fish monthly!! :rofl

Um, are you sure that the moniker hasn't been assigned years ago, oh 7-year Koko's forum member?! :rofl :rofl :rofl

(All joking aside, I think that it's amazing that you have been a member for 7 years. It's the same with the many members we have here who have been with Koko for that long. I look forward to my 7 year medal.)

Well I did have a few years away, dealing with family stuff, but I'm so glad to be back--crazy fish lady or not!

The first time I let it slip at work about my "fish forum", they all had a good laugh. I guess it's good to be passionate about something. It could definitely be worse! When I was telling my neighbor about my latest bout with dropsy, she asked how I knew so much/how to treat it and I had to let her in on my little forum secret. She didn't seem too disturbed by it. :rofl We still walk our dogs together every night. :rofl

Just think how many posts you'll have, Alex, by the time you hit 7 years! :yikes

Last update? :idont

Today is Day 14 of MMs and he still looks good. :)

I will leave him in QT for another day or two just to keep a close eye on him. I will also start to lower the tank temp slowly if that's OK.

Anything else I should do? need to know or watch for?

Nope. I think we are set and should be for quite some time.

Let's re-evaluate right before you add him back, but I don't anticipate any issues.

:Congrats:

I hope there aren't any issues. It'd be nice to get him back in the main tank on Sunday before my daughter's bday party. I'll have about 20+ family members here. It'd be nice to get the tank off the counter by then. Her sleepover party is tomorrow night. The tweens won't mind the fish on the counter. Most of them have seen it already. :)

I'll update on Sunday if that's OK?

I am in the process of my *potential* last WC before adding my fish back to the main tank. The QT tank is 79* and the main tank is 73*. He still looks good (knock on wood), eating well (regular food for 2 days), and is active. Should I turn the heater down a couple of degrees to start getting the temp closer to main tank temp? :idont

Sounds good. You can start dialing down the temp now, and by tomorrow it should be fine :)

One hour til bday party and I'd like to get the fish back in the main tank . . .

He looks good and tank temps are within 2* of each other.

Watcha think, Alex? :please

(Hopefully you'll see this before the party!! :rofl )

Move him already! :rofl

Have fun with the party :)

OK 35 minutes and I still need to feed the non-finned kids but I will make it happen!

Thanks a million for all your help, Alex!

We ALL appreciate it! :heart

Party is over and he was in the tank with about 10 minutes to spare! I actually teared up putting him in there cuz once I saw the pineconing I never thought he'd be going back to the main tank. :heart

He's back with his buddies, active and looking great! Yay!

Another day, another fish saved by Koko's Goldfish Forum! :clapping:

Edited by fantailfan1