Ammonia and nitrite-0

Nitrate--5-10

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates of tap--0

pH tank--8.o

pH tap--8.2ish

I use API drop tests and Prime.

Emperor 400 and Emperor 280 filters

Water temp--74*F

I change the water once a week--80%+. Last changed 1 week ago.

Tank is 40 gallons, running almost 2 years

I have 3 fish in the tank, all about 2 inches not including tails.

I feed Repashy soilent green, ProGold, Saki Hikari in the purple bag and occasional frozen bloodworms.

No new fish or medications.

The fish had floaty problems in the past but not since switching to Repashy as the main food.

The fish has a red spot on its side about 2/3 of the way back straight back from his/her eye. I just noticed it today. It was white when I first noticed it then looked red once I got ahold of the fish. When I looked back at it 10 minutes later it looked like it had white hanging from it, kinda like a piece of dry flaky skin (if a fish had skin . . .). He is acting and eating normally with food colored poop.

Should I begin some sort of treatment or watch and wait? I have MMs and MediGold on hand along with salt. Thanks.

SAM_2386_zps49403e78.jpg

Hello I am sorry your cutie isn't feeling well :heart

It looks like a bacterial cycsts, do you have a QT tank you can put him in and slowly raise the salt to .3%

Yep, I do. I usually do a 10 gallon with daily LARGE water changes and an air stone. Is that OK? And it's 2 TBSP per 10 gallons=0.1%, right? No medicated food yet as it's not internal?

It would be 3 TBSP for a 10gallon since 1 TBSP =3teaspoons ;) If you could please do 100% water changes daily double prime and the salt should clear it up with in a mater of a week or 2 ;)

Edited by MissColonel

Oh, I have a sticky that says "1 TBSP per 5 gallons=0.1%". Not quite, huh?

I need to scrub my 10 gallon as my son apparently used it for insects . . . Ugh.

Feed all the fish normally?

I'll do water changes as you suggested. Thanks!

(Excuse all the questions but I've been at 5th grade camp with 85ish 5th graders for 2 days and am going on little to no sleep. My brain isn't fully firing and I don't want to screw it up . . .)

the 1 tbsp per 5 gallons is what the aquarium salt box recommends. What you want is 1 tsp per gallon, which as Karen noted would be 3 tbsp total for your 10 gallon to get to .1%

Hope that cyst goes away quickly! :)

Yes feed the fish like normal ;)

the 1 tbsp per 5 gallons is what the aquarium salt box recommends. What you want is 1 tsp per gallon, which as Karen noted would be 2 tbsp total for your 10 gallon to get to .1%

Wait I am confused I thought 3teaspoons = 1 tablespoon so wouldn't it be 3 tablespoons for .1%

the 1 tbsp per 5 gallons is what the aquarium salt box recommends. What you want is 1 tsp per gallon, which as Karen noted would be 2 tbsp total for your 10 gallon to get to .1%

Wait I am confused I thought 3teaspoons = 1 tablespoon so wouldn't it be 3 tablespoons for .1%

oh my yes.... you are absolutely right :P math was never my strong subject lol... I'm going to go ahead and edit that :P

oh my yes.... you are absolutely right :P math was never my strong subject lol... I'm going to go ahead and edit that :P

Lol it is ok it is Friday and Math isn't my strongest subject either :rofl

Any idea what causes a bacterial cyst? I mean other than it being a bacteria, obviously . .. . Did he/she maybe rub it on something? There's nothing new/rough added to the tank. Hmmm . . . . and my kids want to know if it's contagious. It's my fish that has the cyst and their fish are the other 2 in the tank. They don't want sick fish! LOL.

And thanks for the math explanation. Makes perfect sense even with my brain functioning at about 50%! :)

Any idea what causes a bacterial cyst? I mean other than it being a bacteria, obviously . .. . Did he/she maybe rub it on something? There's nothing new/rough added to the tank. Hmmm . . . . and my kids want to know if it's contagious. It's my fish that has the cyst and their fish are the other 2 in the tank. They don't want sick fish! LOL.

And thanks for the math explanation. Makes perfect sense even with my brain functioning at about 50%! :)

I believe a Bacteria cycst is like a pimple and some fish are just more proned to get them than other ;) I am sure another memeber might be able to give you a better discription.

bacterial cysts can potentially be a red flag for bacterial issues in the tank. Do you have anything like gravel (edit: how deep?), hollow ornaments, driftwood. What's your filter cleaning schedule like?

It is not really contagious until it pops, at which point bacteria/pus will ooze into the water. This is why QT along with frequent water changes is important.

Eeewwww. I thought it actually looked like a pimple.

I have a barebottom with some large river rocks, no hollow ornaments or driftwood. I rinse the blue filter floss weekly but I probably should remove the filters and rinse out the bottoms . . .

How will I know when it pops? The white bump seems to come and go and is surrounded by a very thin red area.

Fortunately he's acting fine.

I have a barebottom with some large river rocks, no hollow ornaments or driftwood. I rinse the blue filter floss weekly but I probably should remove the filters and rinse out the bottoms . . .

How will I know when it pops? The white bump seems to come and go and is surrounded by a very thin red area.

It sounds like it could have already popped it you are seeing white discharge. Lets try to get him in the QT as soon as you can and sart salting ;)

I scrubbed the tank and am soaking it with PP while I do a few things around the house. I don't think there is anything too horrible in there and it hasn't been used for fish for many many months but it just makes me feel better about putting him in there. I will do it before I go to bed for sure. I've got the airstone ready so all I need to do is add water and Prime and a few river rocks (I hate it to be totally plain!) and he should be in there within the hour. And let's not forget the salt! Better go get that out. :)

You think the other fish are OK for now? Just keep my eye on them?

Thank you both for the help, MissColonel and tithra!

Sounds good and your other finned babies should be fine. ;)

One more math check so I'm sure I'm doing it right once I'm up to 0.3% and doing daily wcs. For a 10 gallon tank, I will want 10 TBSP for 0.3% salt, right? Which google tells me is 150 grams . . .

I think I may need to get more salt if this is going on for a week or two!! :yikes

9tablespoons will be perfect for .3% ;)

9tablespoons will be perfect for .3% ;)

Yep. 9 tbsp not 10 tbsp because we assume that no tank actually holds the amount of water it claims to. We assume yours holds 9 gallons, not 10

EDIT: if you need more salt grab some from the grocery store, it's cheaper than aquarium salt! Just make sure there are no additives/anti-caking agents. Morton's canning and pickling salt is a good one that's widely available

Gotcha! I think I'll use my gram scale. 135 grams=9 TBSP I put a new sticky on my salt!!

I'm OK on salt for now but I'll keep the Morton's in mind!

Now off to get Fluffy into QT!

Good luck! You got excellent advice here :)

Be aware that these cysts usually comes in waves, so that there may be more coming. Salt usually suffices :)

We are up to 0.2% and he's looking/eating fine. No signs of cysts on the other 2 in the main tank. :)

We are up to 0.2% and he's looking/eating fine. No signs of cysts on the other 2 in the main tank. :)

That is great :D keep us posted :)

I don't know if it's my imagination/wishful thinking but I think it looks a little better/less red already? :)

I don't know if it's my imagination/wishful thinking but I think it looks a little better/less red already? :)

That is great and the salt is doing the trick ;)