Gcourtney

Please help my telescope cali has been doing well but today I just notice her fins were short and jagged .what should I do . I'll know my water perimeters later. I just did a 50percent water change two days ago. She looked fin yesterday but today she she ins't .shes not bottom sitting and is very active please help

Here are all the questions you'll need to answer :)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

th_005.jpg

i'm not sure on my water peramiters yet, but my filters are aqua tech 30 gallon aquarium filters and i have two of them. i add iron for plants, and i use tetra decholrinator and conditioner. i do weekly fifty % water changes. two days ago and changed fifty percent. i have a 29 gallon aquarium its been running for five months. two three inch goldfish and one two inch rubber nose pleco i have a betta but I might remove him. i feed my fish my fish new small amounts of life spectrum twice a day and once a day algea wafers and betta food for the betta. yes two newbies an oranda and a pleco yes jungle fungle disease. i had fin rot with a previous moore but not with this two. frayed fins on the telescope. no odd behavior. i use jungle aquarium salt with water changes. and fungle tablets if necessary for three weeks.. the temp is about 72-74 degrees. here is a video :krazy: thanks for the help

Edited by Gcourtney

thank you for the video, I do see the tear in the tail fin.

I will wait to get your parameters before we decide what to do next.

A couple questions:

- can you outline exactly what you treated for with the jungle tablets in the past and when (was it just the moor you were treating and these fish happened to be in the tank)?

- is there any medication currently in the tank?

- do you have another place to house your betta? As you probably already know bettas and goldies generally should not be housed together :) your current tank temp, while great for your goldfish, is not ideal for your betta and being with other fish can be stressful for him.

i treated the moor for fin rot using tablets but i used a 7 gallon Rubbermaid container.so there was only a short time my telescope was around him sick I have some jungle medicine in the tank to help if its fin rot and to help if the newbies have store infection . I ll remove the betta right away. I'm going to petco to get the testkit now

Edited by Gcourtney

thank you for the parameters :)

The betta nipping is one possibility, so it is definitely good to move him out of the tank (along with getting him into a more suitable environment). Another potential possibility is physical damage to the fins from the rough rocks you have in the tank. Goldfish are notoriously clumsy swimmers and will try to fit themselves places they really can't fit in, which can result in scale loss (which you mentioned) and torn fins.

I would like to suggest removing the rough porous rocks just to rule this out as a potential issue. If you would like rocks in the tank, smooth, solid rocks (without holes for curious fish to try to fit in ;) ) would be preferable.

Another potential possibility is flukes. I have a couple questions related to this. Does the tele ever bottom sit or flash (rub against the walls or items in the tank)? I noticed that his dorsal fin is not upright in the video, is it clamped down or just floppy so it doesn't stand up straight?

Generally your fish look active and healthy so I would be more apt to say that it it physical damage from the decor or the betta. We can remove these potential issues and see if the tear heals and no other tears appear :)

Here's what I would like to suggest for now:

- Do either a 100% water change or two large (80-90%) back to back water changes to get the medication out of the tank. The jungle meds are really not necessary here and medications like this can sometimes do more harm than good. Please make sure you test your tap water prior to doing a large water change to make sure tap and tank Ph are matched within .5 ppm :)

- Test your water daily. Nitrofurazone, one of the active ingredients in the jungle fungus clear tabs can easily wipe out your cycle.

- Do a daily water change if you are able to. Daily water changes will both ensure that the water parameters stay good if you did wipe your cycle, and will also keep the bacterial load low in your tank and promote healing of the fin. If you cannot do daily water changes for some reason, try to do as many as you are able a week (along with testing your water to make sure the water remains safe between changes).

I would typically suggest a low dose of salt as well, but I am a little hesitant to do this not knowing what the jungle may have done to your cycle. If you feel like you can keep up with the water changes and keep the water ammonia free, then you can go ahead and add .1% salt (Use aquarium salt or any salt without additives or anti caking agents. .1% is equal to 1 teaspoon per gallon. Dissolve this thoroughly before adding it to the tank. Every time you do a water change you will need to replace the amount of salt you took out. For example if you do a 50% water change, you would add back in 15 tsp of salt).

The tear is not bad and I think that if this is just physical damage the extra water changes alone will be enough, so I will leave it up to you if you want to salt the tank or not :)

.she doesn't bottom sit her fins are always floppy she might have rubbed against the rock. i always add salt to my aquarium during water changes. I will remove the rocks :carrot: thanks

You don't want to add salt to the aquarium always. Salt is not necessary for goldfish and is best saved to be used as a medication when it is really needed. There is something known as 'salt creep' which happens with long term use of salt (the salt levels slowly 'creep' up) and this can actually be another cause of torn fins. If you have been treating with salt long term, I might actually try going without salt and see if this helps.

Let us know how things are in a couple days :) If the tear hasn't begun to heal or you are seeing new ones you may want to think about treating for flukes with prazipro. Flukes are common in goldfish and we typically recommend treating all new fish with prazipro as a part of the QT process.

Personally, I don't add salt to the aquarium unless it is necessary on principle, it's one of my "secret weapons". If it were me, I probably would hold off on the salt until things get a chance to settle down a bit and stick with the WC's for now. Keep us posted :)

Edit: Must. Type. and post. faster. lol @ Tithra :)

Edited by MexiMike83

It's been two days since I started the thread I'm going to do a water change . And her other tail fin has little tears also, that water conditions are great. She eating and swimming around like normal her dorsal fin is down but it flops from side to side as she swims. I watched goldfish with flukes on YouTube and noticed shes not showing any other symptoms of flukes. I'll do daily water changes and see if that helps with the tear if not it still could be flukes

If you haven't treated for flukes yet, I don't think it's a bad idea. You can order prazi pro on amazon :) if you decide to get some let us know and we can walk you through the treatment schedule

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm ordering very soon I was going to earn some money to buy it , but the work fell through. I did do Alex's idea of a hydrogen peroxide dip, and salted the tank. I will be ordering it this weekend. And today her fins look a little worse

Edited by Gcourtney

This is an update on Cali my tele I was about to order prazi when I noticed she has a tear going almost to the base of her tail fin. I did a peroxyide dip and salted the water but I don't know what to do I still will get prazi pro. Do you think she well become healthy again or is it to late. I hope it isn't!:(

To keep things organized lets keep things here since we already have preavious help and tips and treatment plans ;)http://www.kokosgold...230-what-to-do/

I am sorry your tele is looking a little ruff but can we have a video please?

Edited by MissColonel