Water changes during cycle

Avepico

How are your fish? If possible, I would very much like to have a good cycle going, if you are going to treat in the main tank. The other option is to remove the fish to QT, treat there, AND treat your fishlessly cycling main tank.

Fitz (the one that had the cotton sweater) is in a 10 gallon by himself, just about to update that post. I do have the option of moving the other two to the small pond (90gallon) in the greenhouse. It is fully cycled, water tests come out 0 on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and it has been up all summer. They would just have to live with a mix of bloodfin tetras and white clouds. The fish in the main tank are currently doing well, no odd behaviors today.

Edited by Avepico

Was about to put up a video of them behaving normally and looked over to see this instead.

Quick update. Amber the oranda had an incident with the siphon and is no longer with us. I moved Molly out to the pond and she is so happy with all that room to swim in good water. I am going to keep the tank empty while I get a good cycle established. This will give me time to get everything properly ready for fish. Then I am going to get one or two RG fish. Just have to decide what to get.

Quick update. Amber the oranda had an incident with the siphon and is no longer with us. I moved Molly out to the pond and she is so happy with all that room to swim in good water. I am going to keep the tank empty while I get a good cycle established. This will give me time to get everything properly ready for fish. Then I am going to get one or two RG fish. Just have to decide what to get.

Im so sorry about amber :(

What are you using as a source of ammonia in the tank to keep the cycle going?

Ammonia (it was a pain in the rear to find ammonia without surfactants) from the hardware store. Added enough to get to 5ppm, will keep an eye on numbers and add more as needed. With where the cycle currently is, I am hoping to see readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates tomorrow. If not, it will take as long as it takes.

Ammonia (it was a pain in the rear to find ammonia without surfactants) from the hardware store. Added enough to get to 5ppm, will keep an eye on numbers and add more as needed. With where the cycle currently is, I am hoping to see readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates tomorrow. If not, it will take as long as it takes.

Have you gotten a nitrite reading at all previously?

Oops looking back I see you've already gotten nitrites in this tank, because of this you'll want to drop ammonia down to 1ppm (too much ammonia at this stage can stall the cycle)

Yep, nitrite and nitrate. Just wasn't stabilizing to zeroes on the nitrites and ammonia. I am hoping I am almost there. Would be great to order fish next week, but I am damping my optimism with a dose of pessism.

I have 1ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates ATM. Would I see a raise in nitrites tomorrow if that BB colony is active or would it have processed that quickly to nitrates?

It's possible your nitrites are already being converted to nitrate efficiently and you won't see a rise.

Check your ammonia in 24 hours and see if it has dropped to 0. You are likely very close to cycled :)

Yep, nitrite and nitrate. Just wasn't stabilizing to zeroes on the nitrites and ammonia. I am hoping I am almost there. Would be great to order fish next week, but I am damping my optimism with a dose of pessism.

Some would call that practical and wise :)

I think you're through the worst of it :)

Edited by MexiMike83

No change in any readings today. Guessing the cycle crashed and needs to restart. Will recheck tomorrow.

.5 ammonia, over 5.0 (highest my kit shows) nitrites, 20 nitrates. Time will tell if it stabilizes without crashing.

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate. Will give it a drop more ammonia, make sure it processes. Suggestions on how long I should monitor the cycle before I add fish? IE, if it is cycling properly tomorrow would it be safe to order a fish that might come this week or just hold off?