Sign in to follow this  
Avepico

Water changes during cycle

I finally have detected nitrites and nitrates in my water of the main tank. Ammonia .25, nitrite .25, nitrate about 2.5. This is a good thing as I understand it, the nitrites show that ammonia is being processed and the nitrates show the nitrites are being processed. My question is about how much of the water should I change at this point in the cycle?

I'm thinking we need a sousant more info.

Specifically, tank size, is there fish in it, when did you start your cycle.

We change water during cycles if there are fish in it OR if you are getting a high reading on your ammonia during a certain part of your cycle.

No, unfortunately Molly and Amber are in there. They could go out to the pond for a couple days if it would help. Just a 90 gallon micro pond in my greenhouse. It is unheated tho and temps vary a lot.

Tank has been running three weeks, before today I have just been getting ammonia readings. I started it with 10 White clouds and blood fins, filter media and substrate from pond. I have been doing 30 to 90 percent changes depending on how high the ammonia is. This is the first sign of nitrites or nitrates.

Check your tank on a regular basis (every 12 or 24 hrs) so you can find out how much is getting consumed in a set period of time. Nitrite is quite toxic, try to keep that as low as possible. With borrowed media it makes sense that your tank is showing signs of a cycle in all areas of nitrobacter. :)

I would do a large water change to get your ammonia to 0 (your fish will feed this end of the cycle anyway). And then I would add salt at 1 tsp per gallon to deal with the nitrites. You will want to check your water parameters daily and keep the ammonia at 0 and the nitrites below 0.5. The salt is to act as a buffering agent between the nitrate and your fish, preventing "brown blood". If you have to do a WC, say 50%, you will have to replace the 50% salt that you removed. When the ammonia and the nitrites reach 0, you're cycle is done :)

Edited by MexiMike83

I would do a large water change to get your ammonia to 0 (your fish will feed this end of the cycle anyway). And then I would add salt at 1 tsp per gallon to deal with the nitrites. You will want to check your water parameters daily and keep the ammonia at 0 and the nitrites below 0.5. The salt is to act as a buffering agent between the nitrate and your fish, preventing "brown blood". If you have to do a WC, say 50%, you will have to replace the 50% salt that you removed. When the ammonia and the nitrites reach 0, you're cycle is done :)

I just want to add to this to also keep nitrates below 20 ppm... these are going to start to rise :)

What size is the tank? (sorry if I missed this above)

I just want to add to this to also keep nitrates below 20 ppm... these are going to start to rise :)

What size is the tank? (sorry if I missed this above)

29 gallon, one oranda and one normal ATM, going to get another normal back in after he is done in the hospital tank. I know it is a bit small for the three of them and am looking at my options. Hoping to fix my 100 gallon tank.

Just did a fifty percent water change and added salt. It is getting late for me so I will revisit the numbers after work tomorrow and do a bigger change if needed.

Did a 90% water change today. Dosed with prime, 1 tsp salt per gallon. Post water change water tests showed trace amounts of Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. The fish are gasping at the top. There is no way this is an air deficiency. A video of my tank to show how much air I have going.

Any thoughts and should I start a new thread in DD with full tank info?

They are yawning alittle bit... Have you ever treated with a full round of salt or Prazipro?

Koko, I think that's the same video that he posted in his DnD thread. Is that right Avepico? If it is, a video of the behavior will help. And I agree with koko.

They have only been in the current salt concentration since yesterday's water change. No Prazipro since I cannot get it here in town. It is on the way from Amazon tho. I can take current video, was feeling a bit lazy after the water change and a miserable day at work.

Sorry to hear about your rough day, I've had my fair share of those of late so I can relate. What does trace amounts mean, could you post those amounts please? My fish will start gasping at the surface as the nitrates start approaching 20.

Since you're adding salt daily during water changes you would be a lot better to weigh it so you don't end up building up salt concentrations over time (each tsp of salt weighs differently). for .1% you require 109grams but you want to dose 106grams as you have gravel :)

Thank You Narny, does that come out to 3.75 grams per tsp? I have a nice digital kitchen scale that would make weighing it much more precise than measuring by volume.

And here is current video. Bet you can't guess my brand of beer by the end.

Edited by Avepico

They only go to that corner, no sides or other corners. Only trace amounts on Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. Just enough difference in color to not be 0, but nowhere near the first box on the chart. PH about 7.4.

Yes, since you work in the gallon system it works out to be the size of your tank (29gallons) multiplied by 1 gallon converted into litres (3.79) which gives you how many grams of salt you need for .1%, but since tanks don't hold that true value, it's always best to account for decor in the tank, so taking 1-2 gallons off should account for that. All I did was convert your tank size into L and take a few litres off, but you can do it with the gallons and add for 28g.

A lower pH of 7.4 is good since the ammonia won't be as toxic, but since you are also salting (which increases ammonia toxicity), it is very important to keep the ammonia neutralised with prime and remove it once it hits .25-.50ppm while detoxified and get it back to 0ppm. Nitrite is similar, but also aim to get it to 0ppm within a water change at no more than .5ppm, preferably .25ppm as it is quite toxic and can render blood incapable of carrying oxygen.

Edited by Narny105

Im going to say lets do a .2% salt treatment for a week. Make sure there isnt anything going on with them. Reason for the .2% salt is they are babies and I dont want you to push them over the edge.... Then after a week we will see how they are doing :)

I'll see what I can do about that tonight. Salt was on my shopping list for after work tomorrow. I expect I will be doing a large WC tomorrow, pending tests.

I was going to say that I think your current might be a bit too strong. I'm not there so I will let you decide. I think they are sticking to that corner because of the current.

I was going to say that I think your current might be a bit too strong. I'm not there so I will let you decide. I think they are sticking to that corner because of the current.

I'll remove one airline for a bit and see if it makes a difference.

Got my Prazipro in today, shall I go ahead and start a normal dose? Water readings today were ammonia .5ppm, nitrites almost .5 ppm and nitrates 5ppm. Did back to back 80% water changes. Those got me to ammonia about .1, nitrites about .15, and nitrates 0