Question about snails

sarajo

hi everyone,

this is kind of a silly question but I don't know anything about snails.

i am thinking about getting a few snails, either Nerite or apple, since algae has finally decided to take place on my plants... I am wondering if there is a QT method for snails or if they harbor parasites that can be passed on to my fish or if I can just put them in the tank directly.

Thanks!

If you are looking for snails to get rid of algae, you want nerites. They are algae-eating machines! The larger zebra or olive ones are available at many stores. The smaller horned nerites are harder to find, but because they are smaller, they can eat the algae off the leaves of plants. They are amazing. Just don't get too many or they will run out of food.

I do a 2 week QT with snails. Put them in a separate container (I use those critter keepers with a top) and do a water change daily. What you are basically doing if flushing any contaminated water they might be holding in their shells.

And like shawn said, if you are looking for algae eating, get nerites, not apples :) Apple snails are really fun, but not great at eating algae.

Another reason to QT is also in case you receive a fertile female like I did a few weeks ago. Baby snails are quite hard to get out of a tank! :) Fertile snails usually will lay within a week, but you do need to provide a lid for the QT tank just in case.

Another reason to QT is also in case you receive a fertile female like I did a few weeks ago. Baby snails are quite hard to get out of a tank! :) Fertile snails usually will lay within a week, but you do need to provide a lid for the QT tank just in case.

good point!