Found creepy crawlies on my tank lid!

I didn't know where to put this, so if I have put it in the wrong part of the forum I am sorry.

I just got home from work and I always give my fish some food when I get home, so I went to the fridge, got their pot of cubed gel food, went to the tank, flipped the lid and :yikes I found lots of little creepy maggoty type wormy things!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heres a video, sorry it's a little on the shakey side I was (and I still am) FREAKING OUT!!!! I have got them all off there now but I am left wondering what on earth are they? Could they harm my fish? How have they got in there in the first place? OMG I am sooooooooo scared to open my filters, could they be in there also? They are not in the water just on the inside of the lid.

http://s739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/BecSteve/?action=view&current=MOV01565_zps38f2cc4b.mp4

yeah, they unfortunately look like maggots to me as well (having had an unfortunate experience with these once :no: not in the tank though). Yuck, that sucks. I would just give the lid a really good cleaning, maybe use some bleach, and check out the rest of the tank/filters

I doubt they will be in the filters, but it's a good idea to check :)

Thank you! I will have to muster up enough courage to open up my filters. Maybe after a few glasses of wine later on tonight! :alc

I feel discusting, I feel sick and like I want to scrub every inch of the house, the tank and myself, all my skin is crawling. It's SOOOOO gross!

:rofl That's what I would've done. My fish are far braver than me when it comes to things like this. I would've just knocked them off the lid into the water. Maggots are one of the few bugs (or rather lifestages of bugs?) that really skeez me out. I didn't even click the link and I still have the creepy crawlies ugh!

Yuck! I'm sorry Becs. Perhaps a flying nasty was attracted to the warm and wet environment and laid some babies or some eggy weggs there that you didn't notice and BAM now you have disgusting new friends.

I hope you never seen one in there again! Enjoy the wine. Be brave!

I really don't want you all thinking my tank is dirty or that I am some kind of slob. :( I changed 60% of the water on Monday and they weren't there this morning when I gave the fish their breakfast.

I am itching from head to toe now! At least Steve is here (my voice of reason) to calm me down!

Yuck! I'm sorry Becs. Perhaps a flying nasty was attracted to the warm and wet environment and laid some babies or some eggy weggs there that you didn't notice and BAM now you have disgusting new friends.

I hope you never seen one in there again! Enjoy the wine. Be brave!

:rofl this made me giggle between "eggy weggs" and "BAM! now you have new disgusting friends" lol.

I really don't want you all thinking my tank is dirty or that I am some kind of slob. :( I changed 60% of the water on Monday and they weren't there this morning when I gave the fish their breakfast.

I am itching from head to toe now! At least Steve is here (my voice of reason) to calm me down!

No one thinks your tank is dirty! These things happen. Fish tanks are by nature damp environments that provide the perfect habitat for all sorts of icky things no matter how meticulous we are. It's just the name of the game! :)

Now come on, everyone get their act together here. :rolleyes:

Seriously.

Those are larvae from some sort of gnat or fly. This can happen when there are traces of food that will stay wet due to the moisture of the evaporating water, which is a perfect breeding ground for a lot of pests (One of the things that can happen to you if you do not clean out the filters on a regular basis, these can be a great breeding ground for those as well).

These things are as harmless as can be, but can turn into a bigger problem when they all develop into adult critters and you have a small army of flies live in your house.

I would knock the crawlers into the tank for the fish to consume. Then remove the lid, remove the light fixture from the lid and give the lid a good, thorough cleaning with water as hot as you can handle as well as pure white vinegar. That will kill off pretty much all the remaining eggs that might still be on there. :)

Thanks for that Fang! I have calmed down now. :rolleyes:

When I first saw them I was just worried that they would harm the fish. It's a relief knowing that they are harmless. The lid is made up of a light fixture running down the centre of the tank then either side of that there are service flaps. I only found the maggots on the front service flap, I put both service flaps in the bath and soaked them in very hot water. I really hope they don't come back but at least now I know what to do about them.

Thank you :)