Good time to add a new fish to regular tank?

cmclien

I was thinking since I am doing 6 rounds or prazipro and .01% salt (of which I've completed one round) that now might be a good time to get a new fish and add it to the same tank as my other two since I'm treating the whole tank. Isn't that what normally is recommended for a qt tank? I thought it might save me the extra qt step unless I'm missing something here. :unsure:

(My tank is a 40g breeder of which I currently have two GF, that would fit with the 20, 10, 10 or "almost" with the 15,15,15 possibly new guidelines? I do a 75% WC every 4 or 5 days and have filtration at 15% instead of 10%. I have 3 200gph hob filters).

I think 3 goldies will be fine as long as you are studiuos on your WC which it sounds like it :)

I do however don't think you should add a fish to the main tank even though the main tank is being treated as of right now. Reason I think it isn't a good idea is because we QT are fish for about a month or two to watch them make sure they don't have anything else wrong beside flukes that could be brought into the main tank like ick or maybe fungus or who knows. Qt is more than just treating for flukes it is to make sure nothing else could harm your other little ones from things that can take a while to show up ;)

Darn! I thought it seemed too simple :idea

Well in that case I will wait until I am done treating them, its too many WC's with two tanks being treated.

I understand compleletly and think this is a better sloution :) I had 4 QT going at once and I highly don't recommend it ......So many daily WC's lol.

Just going to put the bug in your ear don't forget pics when you find that future cutie :rofl

Just out of curiosity, do you think it would make a difference if I bought the fish from a quality breeder like raingarden? (in regards to my first question).

Edited by cmclien

A good quality breeder will always reduce the chances of you having parasites, fungus and other issues that show up from extended periods in poor quality water. It is still recommended that you QT on your own though and further observe just incase the stress from the delivery has compromised the immunity and some issue lying dormant has now become and active concern.

Some breeders used to email you a gill and scale scope video so that you knew either the fish was clean or what you might need to prepare when the fish comes home. If you had a clean gill and scale scope from the breeder and another one to compare to after it has acclimated I would say that would be the only time to shorten a QT.

Yes. Always always QT no matter where the fish comes from. It's one of those better safe than sorry situations. It saves you potential headache and also provides your fish some time to settle in and acclimate. No breeder can guarantee their fish is disease/parasite free... even a careful breeder like Steve at RG who checks for flukes etc. before shipping out fish cannot guarantee this because things can be missed with a microscope.