Superglue - is it safe?

number20121

I see some confusion on this forum about the use of superglue in aquariums, so I'd like to let everyone know that:

Once cured, regular superglue (cyanoacrylate), is 100% aquarium safe and water stable. Liquid or gel, it does not matter, as long as it is not a specialty kind that contains rubberized cyanoacrylate or similar.

In fact, the gel superglue actually cures better under water. I have not tried this myself yet though as I usually only have the liquid kind at home.

Superglue is used by many reef keepers to glue live corals to rocks, or to glue pieces of egg shell over the damaged part of snail's shells - caution though to not expose the snail's body to the superglue.

You can use it to fix broken ornaments, to glue rocks together, and - as I do anymore - glue the rhizome of live plants to rocks.

I prefer this method over tying, because it is much easier especially, faster and neater looking to not see thread of fishing line in your tank.

I just use one or two drops on the rock, press the plant rhizome onto it until it sticks, and then let it sit out until I cannot smell any fumes coming off anymore, which usually takes somewhere between 15 and 45 minutes, depending on how much glue was used and how fresh the glue was.

Superglue is not recommended though to fix leaks in aquariums because it lacks the flexibility of cured silicone.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95667-super-glue/page__p__1129520__hl__glue__fromsearch__1#entry1129520

I wrote up a rather confusing post about this awhile ago if anyone is interested in the science behind it. Thanks for adding this to the tips obera :)

• 2 weeks later...

And how do you prevent the Anubias from drying out? If I have one out of water for 10 min the leaves begin to dry up and die.

I know they can grow out of water, but only in high humidity, so, how do you get the glue to dry?

I have used super glue in the past too, it works really well, definitely easier than using string or fishing line.

I have found that sometimes the glue can make white marks on bogwood, though, so be sure to use it sparingly so you cant see it once youre finished :]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use a putty based epoxy which is nice for gluing rocks together. It's made by Instant Ocean and it's basically a cylinder of putty with a different color putty cylinder in the center. You snip a piece off and squish it together til it turns white and you can use it to stick heavy things together. Cures under water safely as well. Superglue is definitely best for lighter / small things though.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this info with us. I did read something about glueing plants when I first came on this site but it was still great to see you writing up something. Glad to be reminded again. :)

The gel is definitely easy to use. I took PSP's advice I think I saw on this thread and superglued all my new java ferns and anubias to river rock for about a minute and then let them cure in a bucket of water with prime so they don't wilt. I let mine cure over night and the next morning just rinsed and put in the tank.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...