Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Lighting for 55

I am trying to find an economic solution for lighting for the plants I am trying to get, mainly, ludwigia and cabomba palaeformis, ones that get nice colors with higher lighting (:

I am wondering, do I really need to spend 70+ dollars for a marineland/aqueon light, when I can buy t5 fixtures at home depot for 20 dollars, and the bulbs for 15? Is there a difference between the aquarium lights, and the shop lights? Couldn't I just get a sheet of glass and attach the shop light to the aquarium? Don't get me wrong, if I must buy the aquarium lights I will buy the aquarium lights. They are just so darn expensive! :wall

I might need to alter the fixture to attach to the aquarium cause I don't know if the chain would hang low enough (: I don't know if they would take it back lol

I am trying to find an economic solution for lighting for the plants I am trying to get, mainly, ludwigia and cabomba palaeformis, ones that get nice colors with higher lighting (:

I am wondering, do I really need to spend 70+ dollars for a marineland/aqueon light, when I can buy t5 fixtures at home depot for 20 dollars, and the bulbs for 15? Is there a difference between the aquarium lights, and the shop lights? Couldn't I just get a sheet of glass and attach the shop light to the aquarium? Don't get me wrong, if I must buy the aquarium lights I will buy the aquarium lights. They are just so darn expensive! :wall

Actually this should work I have seen people with the big tanks for salt water or highly planted do this but you do have to be careful and make sure that they are at least moisture resistant though and you have at least a those clear covers that coves about half of the tank as added protection. I am actually looking into doing this but I am trying to find a way of doing this so it doesn't look completely ridculaous :rofl

Most aquarium lighting have reflectors built in. Which you will need for a high light tank. Shop lights don't have that.

Most aquarium lighting have reflectors built in. Which you will need for a high light tank. Shop lights don't have that.

Yup but you could buy something like this and it should work :thumb:

http://www.ocreef.com/hagen_glo_single_t5_aquarium_light_reflector_24_inch?category_id=4936

http://www.ocreef.co...ategory_id=4936

Ohh, I will look into those still less expensive than the aquarium brand lights! And thank you for bringing up that point, I wouldn't have thought of that! Now I can look for something with reflection, like the hagen light.

Actually this should work I have seen people with the big tanks for salt water or highly planted do this but you do have to be careful and make sure that they are at least moisture resistant though and you have at least a those clear covers that coves about half of the tank as added protection. I am actually looking into doing this but I am trying to find a way of doing this so it doesn't look completely ridculaous :rofl

Some of them come with chains you can attach to the ceiling (: I am not sure if you can alter the length of the chain though. And it has to be glass protection? Or could it be acrylic, or will that warp?

http://www.ocreef.co...ategory_id=4936

Ohh, I will look into those still less expensive than the aquarium brand lights! And thank you for bringing up that point, I wouldn't have thought of that! Now I can look for something with reflection, like the hagen light.

Some of them come with chains you can attach to the ceiling (: I am not sure if you can alter the length of the chain though. And it has to be glass protection? Or could it be acrylic, or will that warp?

Whatever those normal clear covers are made of that normally go on top of the tank :idont I just know those should be fine. I really didn't want chain hanging from the ceiling though but I geuss I could always switch out the chain for some pretty chain if worse come to worse.

My 90 gallon tank has a full glass cover (I bought it used & was supposed to get the light & everything but somehow the light never made it!) We started looking into aquarium lighting & found it VERY expensive. My hubby got me a shop light. It has sat on top of m tank for years & does a good job. I get replacement bulbs quite cheaply at Home Depot...reg lights, floresent or even grow lights are available!!