Fish suddenly laying on floor on its side

dancingclown

BunJ started flashing, like maybe she had flukes, but then bottom sat, and looked like she couldn't breath, and is now lying sideways on the ground.

I'm not sure if there's something stuck in her mouth - we're going to take her out and take a look. She was fine earlier.

We have videos, but it's taking a long time to upload.

She looks semi-conscious right now.

Could you fill this out for us please? (;

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Edited by LovelyChaos

Very scary. I'm sorry this is happening. Please fill out that form and the experts will be here shortly I'm sure. There's no poisons or anything that got in the tank accidentally like cleaning agents or anything? One time I lost a fish like this because a cousin had dumped chemicals into the tank while I was gone - I came back in and the fish did as you described and then passed.

A water change may be in order.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0.25
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 20
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Two Aquaclear 110s, One Aqueon 20
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 74
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50%, twice weekly

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Monday night, 9/17 , 50% change
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50 gallons, 2 months.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish, all approximately 5 inches (+/- 1)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Soilent Green, Pro Gold, Peas, Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No.
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)-- injury/bacterial cyst <http://www.kokosgold...omething-else/>
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi, salt with quarantines.-- -.2% salt since Monday 9/17. Before that, BunJ was in a quarantine tank for a weekend, salted at 0.3% because of of injury.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Took her out, could not see inside. Cannot see anything inside.

We are doing a water change right now, until further instruction.

Edited by dancingclown

Best of luck friend, I am sorry this is happening. Is she still laying sideways? Anything about her diet changed recently? Here is one of those experts I was telling you about, I'll let him take it away.

Edited by GreenTea

We picked her up off the tank floor to take a quick look at her outside the water (to look in her mouth). After we put her back in the tank, she started swimming and not laying on her side. However, she still seemed very disoriented. Then she went back on the floor, but not sideways.

Her diet hasn't really changed-- Soilent Green, Pro Gold, Peas, Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp, Spawn & Grow, veggies

Videos:

Very odd and disoriented swimming.

http://youtu.be/0zTQIwO48Oc

BunJ's gills

http://youtu.be/KcuY2Aafl30

BunJ's mouth, when we thought she was choking.

http://youtu.be/2Axz0rHOBzU

Edited by dancingclown

Hello,

The last two videos are unavailable.

Anyway, my apologies. I was hoping that she could be back in the main tank, but it looks like she will need to move back to QT.

In the absence of more definitive ways to figure out which of these possibilities is the actual cause, we will have to treat this as a case of gill infection either by flukes or bacteria, or both.

When did you last treat with Prazi?

What do the gills look like?

Poor thing :no:

Hello,

The last two videos are unavailable.

Anyway, my apologies. I was hoping that she could be back in the main tank, but it looks like she will need to move back to QT.

In the absence of more definitive ways to figure out which of these possibilities is the actual cause, we will have to treat this as a case of gill infection either by flukes or bacteria, or both.

When did you last treat with Prazi?

What do the gills look like?

Alex - If you click the youtube button on the video - it will take you to the video on youtube and it's working there for me.

We last treated with Prazi approximately 1 month for 5 rounds.

I just deleted the last two videos and am re-uploading them.

The gills look pink and is in the second uploaded video. There's also a little bit of slimecoat (?) trailing around the gills.

Edited by dancingclown

You have Metro-Meds, right?

I'd like to put him on that, please. There are some red spots that look like hemorrhaging on the scales, and he is breathing very heavily. Let's start with MMs. It's likely that I will also want Prazi tomorrow in QT as well.

Salt the QT to 0.1%, just to help her de-stress etc.

Edit: I'm so sorry. I think something got to her gills, and acted very rapidly. You didn't see any signs of distress until tonight?

I'm so sorry, but I think she's gone :(

One of the things that I can think of that can ravage a fish this quickly is columnaris, possibly infecting her mouth/gills. It's just strange, because there are no external evidence of this, and by the time she shows some sort of symptoms, it was over :(