Sponge filters.

redgold54

I have a 110 gallon tank with a canister filter. I want to get another filter but money is tight right now. I was wondering if it was possible to use sponge filters temporarily (they're very cheap). I did some searching and found some made for tanks up to 125 gallons.

I have a 110 gallon tank with a canister filter. I want to get another filter but money is tight right now. I was wondering if it was possible to use sponge filters temporarily (they're very cheap). I did some searching and found some made for tanks up to 125 gallons.

Sponge filters generally do not have a very high GPH, but are great for that extra biological filtration as they will harbour a lot of the cycle bacteria. You can certainly add them if you want to, and even use the sponge media from them in your new filter to seed it or keep them running in the tank. They just won't do much in terms of filterage capacity.

Some members keep them in their tanks alongside their usual filtration as they make for a more stable cycle as there is more room for beneficial bacteria to bloom. Just like any filter, they do need to be cleaned though as bad bacteria equally will find it a great breeding ground.