Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Treating water for parasites/disease.

is it a good idea to treat a tank for parasites/disease etc. after the cycle is over (and before adding fish)?

like adding something to the water "just in case"/as prevention.

If by treating for parasites, you mean Prazi and salt, then yes, by all means. :)

why would there be parasites in the water though if there hadn't been fish in the tank?

I am assuming that you are talking about "tap" water................Like the same water one "drinks"......and hopefully that is ok to drink and will harbor the fish just fine............the prazi and salt treatment are for the fish.................... :D

why would there be parasites in the water though if there hadn't been fish in the tank?

There wouldn't be any parasites in the tank. But just in case 'something' comes with the fish or to prevent disease breakout.

Yes, that's what I thought you meant lol.

And yes, every new fish should be treated with salt/Prazi when they first come into your keeping. :)

There wouldn't be any parasites in the tank. But just in case 'something' comes with the fish or to prevent disease breakout.

definitely treat the fish with prazi and salt, but there is no need to treat the tank before you get the fish :) Maybe I am just confused in the wording :P