More Anubias concerns

Shenlon

My Anubias roots are really growing wild and turning brown. The Rhizone is also brown.

I would think this would mean rot or death, but the leaves are still bright and green ! Well minus the brown algae I am battling constantly.

I don't guess this is brown algae ? It doesn't look like it.

20120920_131331_zps019eac2c.jpg

20120920_131357_zpsf08e3495.jpg

• Admin

Now the first thing to see if it is rot. Feel the roots, if they are soft like a gushy feeling then cut the bad parts off. It may be just brown algae on them, if so just gently wipe it off :thumb:

• Admin

It was rot, sigh now the big question , Why are my anubias rotting ?

Boy I am not having much luck with plants LOL

Is the rot all the way down to the leafs..? If not cut the rot off. It could have done this cause of the stress of cycling the tank :(

Let me go run some tests, it may be the nitrates are very high.

Yes still fishless, and I guess will remain that way for at least a month :(

I got to find my first fish and have them go through QT. Not having much luck finding the fish of my dreams. :P

Rain garden has two fish I like , but they are larger specimens and I want something young.

But enough of my soap box, let me go test :)

Let me go run some tests, it may be the nitrates are very high.

Yes still fishless, and I guess will remain that way for at least a month :(

I got to find my first fish and have them go through QT. Not having much luck finding the fish of my dreams. :P

Rain garden has two fish I like , but they are larger specimens and I want something young.

But enough of my soap box, let me go test :)

If you mean that the high nitrates may be harming your plants, no worries there. Nitrates are actually one of plants' main food sources. That is why a tank with a decent amount of live plants usually will not give you any nitrate readings at all because the plants feed on it.

That's why live plants are beneficial for the fish :)

When those are the first fish to ever go into that tank, you don't really need to actually QT them. You will want to do the QT procedures of course; salt, prazi and keeping a close eye on them.

It is good though that you are looking and waiting for your dream fish. That way it is less likely that you impulse buy fish :D

Do you ever check your LFS? At least my Petsmart store often has extremely beautiful fish. Also the Pet Supplies Plus has very beautiful and healthy live goldfish :) I would just go and check every week, or ask when they get new stock in and then go check them out.

Also keep in mind that a young fish will not look that impressive yet. Meaning your young fish will not look like your dream fish yet. I am speaking from personal experience here; my (favorite *cough cough* don't tell) fish used to be the one I thought was actually ugly. She has developed into the most beautiful adult fish though.

http://i1150.photobu...zpse8d8dab7.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/05041206.jpg (this one being one of the newest photos of her)

Just saying :)

Yes I need more live plants :) For sure ! I have been focusing most of my attention and money on supplies in preparing for the first fish.

More plants to come though !

I have been actively searching for a little one to bring home. There really is no good place here. We have the Petsmarts, Petco, Pet Supermarket.

But what I want really is a young ranchu or shukin. Those are next to impossible to find in a LFS. Or at least around here.

That is such a lovely fish , and LOL I wont tell the others.

Thank you Fang ! You are very sweet :)

• Supporter

are you able to test KH and GH? i think i read somewhere soft/hard water plays a role in the maintenance of plants. the nitrates as fang said is excellent food for plants..but i wonder if the KH/GH might be causing problems? i am not 100% sure that this is a contributing factor, i will search for the thread i remember and see what it says, however, in the interim, if you can provide the results to those two tests and possibly the PH, that would be fab.

Thank you Stakos :)

And my water is very soft, I use seachem gold buffer.

Koko had me test my KH/GH during the cycling process. I cannot remember the exact numbers , but yeah I have soft water :(

Edited by Shenlon

If you are using a buffer I really don't think this has anything to do with soft water. I also have very soft water (that I buffer) and have had no issues with my anubias (some I have had over a year). There may be something else in your water though that is lacking for the plants, some nutrient that they need. Or perhaps it is just ammonia exposure (although I'll say I also cycled with anubias and they did fine). I remember Mandie (pandamanda111) also had a lot of trouble with her anubias, not sure that we every figured that out though.

How did they look when you got them? Any brown spots?

If it's just the end part of the rhizome that is rotting, I might try trimming this off and any roots etc. that might be rotting.

When I first got the plants, they did have brown spots. I plucked all the leaves and they grew back beautiful and green.

As far as the rhizome, It was just the bottom portion, it broke right off with little pressure. I hope they grow back.

I though Anubias were easy plants LOL.

I was able to read some and I read it may be where I need to dose calcium and magnesium due to my KH/GH. How does one do this ?

Edited by Shenlon

I think it's the micronutrients. I had a similar problem when I started with my first plant, Anubias nana. My leaves developed dark spots. I rubbed them with my fingers to find out the "dark spots" were where the leaves melted and later develop holes. I added some micro + macro nutrient solution and the plant repaired itself and grew a new leaf in a few days. :D

• Admin

I think it's the micronutrients. I had a similar problem when I started with my first plant, Anubias nana. My leaves developed dark spots. I rubbed them with my fingers to find out the "dark spots" were where the leaves melted and later develop holes. I added some micro + macro nutrient solution and the plant repaired itself and grew a new leaf in a few days. :D

you know you might be on to something.... since this is a fishless tank... maybe some plant food might help for the time being :)

Ok :) I will get my hands on some flourish.

When the fish is added do I stop flourish or continue ?

it's hard to say. You may just need it while you are cycling to supplement the nutrients that the fish would otherwise be producing. It may be some trial and error. Typically you do not need to supplement nutrients with goldfish because they produce more than enough of their own usually, but there may be certain systems that require an extra supplement even with fish. It may require some trial and error when you get your fish :)

• Admin

Ok :) I will get my hands on some flourish.

When the fish is added do I stop flourish or continue ?

it's hard to say. You may just need it while you are cycling to supplement the nutrients that the fish would otherwise be producing. It may be some trial and error. Typically you do not need to supplement nutrients with goldfish because they produce more than enough of their own usually, but there may be certain systems that require an extra supplement even with fish. It may require some trial and error when you get your fish :)

:bingo: