Leave all fish under the ice all Winter or bring a few in?

DieselPlower

What would you do? I will have a long 55 gal I could put a few of my Commons in. Or maybe the Join? He is pretty small. Only 4" or so. What's better for the fish? Of course bringing in the best looking few would be more fun for me but o wonder if it would mess up their chances of spawning.

• Supporter

i think it depends. ie, i think i have read that if the pond is deep enough so that it doesn't all freeze up it's fine. and i think it also depends what kind of goldie you have in there.. for instance, i believe i have read that fancies do not take as well as single tails. but i am pretty sure the depth of the pond is a huge factor and the fact that during those temps little to no feeding is required.

personally, if it were me, i'd be bringing the young indoors during winter. but here in AUS where i am.. nothing freezes over.. lol..

I had 2 commons I won at a banquet several years ago. They survived 2 winters in our 55 gallon pond, it had a pump so the movement kept it from freezing completley. Come spring they bounced back. It was crazy!

I have about 35 fish in about 1500 gallons. The deep end is nearly 5' so I know they will have about 3' of water under 2' of ice Max. There is 1 4" join. One 4" shubunkin. 10 5" to 8" Commons and about 25 1" to 3" Commons.

Just out of curiousity don't they make de-icers I know my friend has a koi pond with about same depth and size and she only brings the young baby koi in and the adults stay out and being very upstate NY close to Canada we get crazy winters but that keeps them safe along with a small pond heater. I am not sure if these are options to consider?

I see you are in michigan this makes a lot of difference. I am in canada and so far north that I would need a depth of over three feet since my pond freezes solid. My other option is to run a heater in the winter and that's not practical either.

You will want to check to see the depth at which ice freezes in your area, you will need a part of the surface that stays unfrozen for gas exchange. Lots of people add bubblers to ensure that as well.

Shakaho I believe has touched on this before so I hope she chimes in :D

Hey everyone. Thanks for the advice and suggestions! I could run a heater but I all honestly I don't think I want to pay to heat 1500 gallons all winter. I do plan to run a bubbler though and I am interested to see how thick the ice actually gets.